bushido_man96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/19 was a rest day. and a well needed one at that. my neck hadn't been working right for days.

Today-

abs

1/4mile run

2 min round shadowboxing, focus on hand combos

1/4 mile run

2 min shadowboxing, focus on head movements and counters

1/4 mile run

2 min rounds, focus on close in blocks and counters

1/4 mile run

2 min round of integrating the above drills

2 min rounds of speed drills for the hands

abs

9-20-08

Aikido class: 10:00 - 12:00. My first official class, after the seminar. It went pretty well, too. We started with some breathing exercises, which I would rather not do, but, it comes with the program. After all, breathing is good, right? :P We then did our wrist stretches and then some basic movements, called Aikitaisos, I think. These are the body movements that tend to show up when doing the movements, so as I get a better grasp of them, I'll be spending more and more time getting them down. After that, we spent some time on breakfalling and rolling. I roll pretty well, but my knowledge on rolling is a bit more limited than what is done in the Aikido class, so I still pick up some new stuff. Afterwards I learned to do the knee walking that they do, which they called Samurai walking. I did it pretty well, but I don't think my knees care for it too much.

Then, we got into some technique work. Several times I had some of the guys tell me to relax more, and I told them that I was relaxed. Every part of the techniques "flows" into each other, moving very much in a dynamic sphere. At this point, my techniques tend to be a bit choppier, until I can get the motions down, and the footwork, which is going to take some time. But, I did come away with a few things that I liked. All the throws we did came from the same side wrist grab for now, but I have seen how they move up the arm into other grabs and strikes.

For some reason, which I think is related to the falling and rolling, I get sore through my shoulder muscles doing the Aikido. It isn't a joint ache sore, but muscle soreness, which is good. I like it, but I never thought I would get sore like that doing Aikido. But, that's what I get for thinking!

Hi Bushi,

The Knee walking is called "Shiko" very important as a way to teach you how to move correctly using your hips.

Have fun

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I am having fun, Zanshin. Good stuff.

9-22-08

Combat Hapkido: 10:10 - 11:10. We started off the session with doing kicks on the hanging bag:

Front leg front kick: 10 each leg.

Back leg front kick: 10 each leg.

Front leg side kick: 10 each leg.

Back kick (facing away): 10 each leg.

Front leg front kick, back leg front kick: 10 each leg.

Front leg front kick, back leg round kick: 10 each leg.

45 degree angle round kick (dead leg): 10 each leg.

We made sure to keep the legs on a lower line, mid-section on down, to focus on our Hapkido moves. After the bag work, we got into techniques. While my partner was practicing his yellow belt techniques, I did my red belt techniques. He has come along quite well with his techniques, and will be more than ready to test when the time comes. He has also been a really good partner for me, helping me to get better at figuring out what I need to do to make some of my more difficult techniques work. I feel better and better after each session about my chances to test, too.

For some reason, which I think is related to the falling and rolling, I get sore through my shoulder muscles doing the Aikido. It isn't a joint ache sore, but muscle soreness, which is good. I like it, but I never thought I would get sore like that doing Aikido. But, that's what I get for thinking!

So long as you've identified the feeling as muscle soreness and not a joint ache, Bushido Man, you've got a green light on Aikido.

A few more weeks of this, and you'll have, what they used to say in the "olden days" of bodybuilding, cannonball delts.

My workout? Class at night with my sons.

:karate: David, :karate: Patrick, :D Dad

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Today-

10 min of 30 second drills, we all rotated thru escaping the guard. Round robin style.

15 min of submission work from the side mount

6, 3 min rounds of free roll each

crossfit-

superset of shovel drills w 95 lbs and pushups, for time

30 reps, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5

chest/tris

10 min of mitt work, kick defense integration

10 min or adding takedowns and joint manip. to mitts

15 min of pure takedown work, focus on armbar/bent armbar series

3, 3 min rounds of free roll with strikes