• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

9/21/2024

Women's Self-Defense Seminar:  9:30 - 11:30 am.  We started by covering two of the choke defenses we didn't quite get to last week: choke from front and behind, against a wall.  They work the same way that the chokes with a push do, and overlap is good in self-defense.  Then we got into ground defense.  I think I recall everything we covered, but there was more we could have gotten to.

Attacker in guard:  pull them in/hug the tree, then wrap an arm, block the same side foot, and hip bump/bridge over, then strike and work to escape.  With the attacker trying to choke, we plucked and bucked them over, reverse and strike and escape.  With arms pinned, we would snow-angel the arms down and extend the hips, create distance, and get the heels into the hips, deliver kicks and escape.  If the defender reversed and was still in guard, it was deliver strikes to the groin, face, and wherever and then get away.

Attacker mounted:  choking, pluck and buck, then strike to face or groin if still connected, then escape.  With wrists pinned, snow angel arms down and buck to reverse, then strike to get away.

Getting dragged by the ankles:  extend one leg, draw one knee in, kick out, attack the legs, then stand up in base when safe and get away.

At the end of the session I answered some questions about use of force in a sexual assault situation.  Some of the girls were worried about if they could get into trouble for striking the groin.  I told them they had nothing to worry about, as a sexual assault like that would rise to the level of defending your life.  We also talked about some nuances in regards to use of force.

After most everyone had left, one of the gals hung out with some varying questions.  She asked good questions and was really into it.  She also mentioned that she wanted to learn how to punch.  So I started talking to her about it, and how we approach teaching it, and I got to geek out for a bit about technique, building a structure to generate power from, and that kind of stuff.  I think we might have gained a new student.

Overall, I think we had a good three-week course put together.  There are some things I'd approach differently, and I thought pacing could have been better in spots, but overall, I think we provided a pretty positive experience for the attendees.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic