• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

8/5/2024

Aikido Class: Weapons Class: 5:00 - 6:00 pm. We started with jo warmups, and I did hi-4, low-4, and hi-8. I still manage to mess up hi-8, but it's getting better. I need to get a jo I can practice with at home. Next was jo kata, and we did jo kata 2 today. We went all the way through it twice, then he cut me loose on my own (there were 2 other students today, both young boys, and neither very attentive). I managed to get about halfway through the kata before I blanked. So I'd just start again and get to where I could.

Next was bokken. We did basic cuts across the floor, and then he changed it up on us. He would demo a series of steps and strikes and/or thrusts across the floor, and then we had to try to mimic him as best we could. He said we got things about 60% right. I generally messed up footwork when I messed up.

After the basic cutting, we did some bokken defense/disarms. I did a kote-gashi and a kokyo-nage. The kote-gashi method went pretty well; I got the tenkan down pretty well and can get the balance broken with it. I need to focus on the initial tai-sabaki when moving in. The kokyo-nage method was a little tougher. The technique goes to one knee when facilitating the takedown and pin, and I kept kind of just diving onto my knee instead of going down gradually. It hurts to kneel down like that, and I end up just crashing instead of going easy. Gotta do some work on it.

TKD Class: Black Belt Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. Just me and the CI today, so we spent the class going over plans for the upcoming women's self-defense seminar we are putting on. We are going to do it over the course of three two-hour sessions over three Saturdays this time, and see how that works. Day one will be learning strikes and some basic wrist grab releases. Day two will be escape from standing situations (chokes, bear hugs, etc). Day three will cover escapes from ground situations. He's going to put together an itinerary, and I think I'll come up with one, too, just to see how close we end up.

Wrist releases will be simple same side grabs in a few variations, rooting and releasing and/or throwing strikes. Strikes will be limited to palm heels, hammer fists, eye gouges, elbow strikes, front kicks (A-frame kicks) and knee strikes. We'll also cover some kicking from the ground with a side kick to keep distance and move, then recover. We'll cover stand-up in base along with this.

Standing situations will cover chokes from all sides, and with pushes and against a wall, and bear hugs from the rear, side, and front. They'll get to incorporate the strikes into the defenses.

Ground stuff will cover escape from mount and guard. We're going to be workshopping the ground stuff a bit more for sure.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to it. It appears that it's going to be a yearly thing.

On another note, on this coming Wednesday night, the Aikido dojo is hosting someone that is looking to start teaching some ground fighting classes going forward. I'm going to participate on Wednesday and the sensei is going to do so on Friday to vet him and make sure he's a safe instructor (which it already sounds like he is), and if all is good, the classes will be offered for free at the dojo. I'm looking forward to this opportunity.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8/6/2024

Strength Training

Leg Press: 45x10, 135x10, 225x5, 250x5, 250x5, 250x5.

Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 75x5, 100x5, 100x5, 100x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 117.5x10, 117.5x10, 117.5x10.[/u]

8/7/2024

TKD Class: Traditional Class: 5:30 - 6:30 pm. I had not done a traditional class for a loooooong time. It was good getting back into that rhythm. There was just one other student there, one of the new low-orange belts learning his new material.

Basics: Lost balance in a few spots, so need to focus on that. Balance has been an issue for some time, so I'm holding on to as much as I can.

Forms: After the orange belt did Dan-Gun, I did Choong Jang. It went well. There's a series in the form of stepping backwards into back stances, which I tended to have problems in keeping my feet aligned properly. That has gotten better. Afterwards, the instructor brought the orange belt back up to get more work in, and had me watch and give tips as well. I gave advise on some hand placements for starting techniques.

One-steps: I partnered up with the orange belt to go over his one-steps. We spent a lot of time on #3 and 4. #3 has a reaping takedown. It didn't use to be taught that way; it was taught with an extra step forward to facilitate the takedown. I think this is the easier way to teach the lower ranks the proper mechanics behind it all, and then the reap should be brought it a few ranks later. He doesn't fall safely either, so we took some time to work on getting the breakfall right. #4 has a joint/arm/shoulder manipulation element to it, so we spent time drilling that right as well.

Overall, I enjoyed myself, and I think I will be hitting this class going forward to keep myself involved with the few students we have. I was the senior rank, but the 3rd dan usually teaches on Wednesdays, and I let him do so and just joined the class as a student.

BJJ Class: 7:00 - 8:15 pm. Went to check out the new BJJ class that is hopefully going to be offered for at least a year going forward in the Aikido dojo. The instructor had a different approach than I had seen before. It wasn't the standard "learn a technique, drill the technique" approach. He did a series of "games" (that's what he called them) that lasted for 6 minutes each. He presented a concept to work on, laid out the parameters for the drill, and then turned us loose. I'll try to explain each one as best I can.

1. This first game was focusing on kazushi, in either breaking or maintaining balance. We started with one person in a single-leg position, holding our partner's leg like we'd just secured a single-leg. The goal was to move, push, pull, trip, step on the foot, or whatever to try to take them down. Their goal was to retain balance and prevent it. Had to focus on keeping the leg in close to the body and good position. Defender had to try to use them for balance and keep close to have a "base" between the two. If the defender put his hands on the ground or his but hit the ground, end and switch roles.

I did better than I thought I would here. I retained my balance more easily than I thought I would, but did get taken down eventually. As far as being the attacker, that wasn't bad either. I was able to find different ways to make it happen and did ok.

2. Game 2 built on the first. Same starting parameters, but the defender's goal this time was to try to get their leg back under control and eventually back down to the ground. This could be accomplished by hooking the inside or the outside of the attacker's leg. It tended to be a progression; hook to the inside, then move around to hook on the outside, then get it down.

Not bad here either. I did have my struggles, but I found once I got the leg hooked somewhere it greatly increased my balance and my chances of getting it back down.

3. This game was "butterfly" I guess. One person would kneel in front of the other, who sit on his butt and hook his feet inside the other's thighs in a butterfly position. The goal was for the person seated to get to one or two underhooks on the kneeling person, secure it, and then scoot in close and sit back with them, going to your back and raising them up with the "butterfly" position of the feet. You could then elevate one foot and roll them to reverse position. Once you did that, roles reversed. The kneeling person's job was to try to prevent the underhooks and keep from getting reversed. (Not sure who would be the attacker here.)

This was fun. We could do arm drags and the like to try to facilitate the underhook(s). I found that once I got the underhooks, I had to scoot in real close in order to sit back with them and get them elevated. I really had to get our combined center close. I was not as good at defending the pummels to prevent the underhooks. It's hard work, but fun.

4. I think we worked another drill from here, the only change was the reversal needed to get to mount or side control, and the guy on bottom had to try to keep or regain a guard position.

Pretty straightforward, went pretty well.

5. Side control. Guy on top had to retain side control, guy on bottom needed to get back to guard.

Pretty tiring, but did ok. My son was my partner, and he's pretty good at keeping pressure on top. He's heavy and strong.

6. Side control again, but this time the goal of the top guy was to keep the control and secure a lock around an arm and the head, or around an arm, in order to isolate a limb. Bottom guy trying to get guard and prevent this at the same time.

At times, it didn't feel like I was accomplishing much by locking an arm or the arm and head. But after the drill, he showed what it meant to get a limb isolated like that, and how it can lead to opportunities for submissions. Good stuff. The point about isolation really stuck with me.

This was a lot of fun, and a very active class. I brought my youngest son along as my training partner, and he was doing really good with everything. He's young and strong, so a good experience. His wrestling background really helps out. There's going to be another session on Friday, and I think we are going to go check it out again.

8/8/2024

Strength Training

Leg Press: 45x5x10, 135x10, 185x5, 225x3, 255x5, 255x5, 255x5.

Bench Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x3, 100x5, 100x5, 100x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 120x10, 120x10, 120x10.

8/9/2024

BJJ: 7:00 - 8:30 pm. Today we did fewer "games," but did each one twice, switching up partners. Duration was shorter, too. At the end of class, we did some free rolling.

These first two drills were kazushi drills again.

1. Both partners standing, neutral position in wrestling. The goal was to get your hands wrapped around one knee (like a single leg), around two knees (double leg), or around the waist (body lock). You got one point for the single, two points for the double, and three points for the body lock. There were no takedowns performed, though; once you locked hands, reset and start again. He had us keep score, too. The main parameter was that we had to have two points of contact with your hands prior to getting the lockup position. So basically, no blast doubles from distance or anything like that. I partnered with Kenneth here, and he beat me in points the first go by 1, and I think he really beat in the second go.

3 minutes rounds x2.

This was a good drill for manipulating the arms and body for a takedown. I definitely need more work here.

2. One person was seated with hooks inside the standing partner's legs. The seated partner's goal was to try to get multiple points of contact to break the standing partner's balance. The standing partner's goal was to try to get one or two legs inside the seated partner's legs. If the standing partner went down (hands or but on mat), roles were switched.

3 minute rounds x2.

We switched partners for this drill, so getting different body types. Had a long-limbed, skinny guy. I found that while I was standing, if the seated guy put a hand one each of my wrists and held on, it made it easier for me to keep track of his hands that way, and I managed to keep my balance for a long time. I was also able to manipulate him somewhat by moving my arms around, even though he had "control" of my wrists. If he got to a 2-on-1 situation, then it was a little tougher to deal with. When I was seated, trying to do armdrags to get the feet in closer to secure an ankle was helpful.

3. Seated/standing set up again, but without the hooks. Standing partner's job was to try to get around the seated partner and push them down or pull on their legs to make them fall back onto their back. The seated partner just needed to try to pivot to keep from giving up the back and try to keep the standing partner from breaking his balance backwards.

1 minute in each position, then switched roles.

New partners for the next drill.

4. Side control drills, much like the previous class. Partner on top needed to try to keep the position, and we could choose three levels; a) hold position, b) isolate an arm, or arm/head, or the other arm, and c) move to mount. I chose to isolate. Partner on bottom was to make space and get to a guard position.

3 minute rounds x2.

The first partner I had was a guy about my height, younger, and stronger. I did ok in both positions. I struggled, but could eventually make some space and get to guard on bottom. On top I could hold for a time, got into a little scramble, and gave up too much space.

Then we switched partners, and found myself in hell. On top, he moved and made space right away, so we switched. I spent the rest of the drill being pinned in side control. I tried to frame the head away, couldn't get anything. Couldn't get my knee under to move into a guard. Eventually had to tap out because I couldn't breathe. It was truly demoralizing and humiliating.

The instructor covered some things that I could look to try next time. I'm learning that you have to start understanding where your body is and what the opponent's body is doing, even when you can't see everything. Very difficult right now. It's a whole new level of kinesthetic awareness.

After each drill, the instructor always asks for feedback on what we found worked, or what didn't, and how we can develop it more. I like the approach.

After all those drills were done, the mat was open to free roll. I rolled three times, 3 minutes each. I'm not good at takedowns, and I managed to give up my back three times. I went once with Kenneth, and he did a pretty good job. He got me pinned, but he just didn't know how to finish, so I talked him into an armbar. He'll get there, just needs some work on finishers. I need a ton of work.

8/10/2024

Strength Training

Leg Press: 45x10, 135x10, 185x5, 225x5, 260x5, 260x5, 260x5.

Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x3, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 122.5x10, 122.5x10, 122.5x10.

Triceps Push-downs: 52.5x15, 50x15, 52.5x15.

I forgot to move the 2.5 lb plate over on the 2nd set of triceps.

really good write up on the games, we do them too (our coach calls them Ecological drilling).

Am curious what you think of them?

My personal view is they are great for troubleshooting and learning how to solve problems but i'm not sure what they would be like for people newer to grappling as they don't know a lot of the base techniques to start from when solving the problem.

Read the side control bit that you mentioned and don't let it get you demoralised - as you said it is a totally different thing, you have to get used to feeling people's weight in spots rather than seeing them and responding accordingly. No way to short cut it really as it takes time.

For rolling one thing i have found recently that has really helped me is to have a technique / sequence of techniques to focus on and work on that: helps streamline things mentally and make them more viable. As an example, i spent ages working on cross collar chokes from guard. First stage was do i get first collar grip in? If so then that is a 'win' to take from session. Once i start doing that regularly then it is the next step: start getting that and that is a win etc. Then add in some related techniques eg. for me currently i go step 1: did i get cross collar grip with my right arm; step 2: can i get an overhook grip to lapel with left arm: if yes can i finish cross collar, if no did i get lapel and can go for triangle or is just got sleeve can i shift to scissor sweep etc. etc.

Granted i am great but that seems to work for me anyway and leave me feeling like i am progressing

really good write up on the games, we do them too (our coach calls them Ecological drilling).

A black belt BJJ friend of mine called it that, too.

Am curious what you think of them?

So far, I am enjoying the sessions, and I don't mind the approach. He keeps things simple as far as the parameters of the drills go, and we get lots of work in.

My personal view is they are great for troubleshooting and learning how to solve problems but i'm not sure what they would be like for people newer to grappling as they don't know a lot of the base techniques to start from when solving the problem.

This is where I am on it as well. So far, I don't mind it, and I do have very limited experience on some finishers. My youngest son, a wrestler, ran into the very problem you mentioned. He is great at takedowns, applying pressure, and getting to a pinning situation, but he just doesn't know any finishers. But I think we'll be getting to some of that stuff soon.

Read the side control bit that you mentioned and don't let it get you demoralised - as you said it is a totally different thing, you have to get used to feeling people's weight in spots rather than seeing them and responding accordingly. No way to short cut it really as it takes time.

I'm keeping it all in perspective. However, if there would have been some technical drilling prior to the game, I might have had a better answer to the problem at hand.

For rolling one thing i have found recently that has really helped me is to have a technique / sequence of techniques to focus on and work on that: helps streamline things mentally and make them more viable. As an example, i spent ages working on cross collar chokes from guard. First stage was do i get first collar grip in? If so then that is a 'win' to take from session. Once i start doing that regularly then it is the next step: start getting that and that is a win etc. Then add in some related techniques eg. for me currently i go step 1: did i get cross collar grip with my right arm; step 2: can i get an overhook grip to lapel with left arm: if yes can i finish cross collar, if no did i get lapel and can go for triangle or is just got sleeve can i shift to scissor sweep etc. etc.

That's a good way to approach it. I'll probably start with getting takedowns. Once I get better at that, I can look to getting into a position of advantage. We are currently taking the no-gi approach, which hasn't been too much of a bother yet.

8/12/2024

Aikido Class: Weapons Class: 5:00 - 6:00 pm. Jo warmups: hi-8, hi-4, lo-4, then combined hi-4 and lo-4. Went through jo kata 2, and I can get through the first half without issue. We went through the whole thing, and I get through it was just a few hiccups. There are some sections that are starting to flow together, too.

Next was bokken work. We did a basic thrusting exercise across the floor, with a partner holding the other end and applying weight. This helped us focus on getting power through the floor and into the hips with proper pushing using both feet. Then we moved to disarms. I did kote-gashi disarm into a pin and weapon release, and then we did a "breath throw." That one was tougher. Instead of moving to the outside angle of attack, we moved inside, and had to grab the hilt between the swordsman's hands and go from there. You had to really sink it to establish a base and break their balance, and the other hand was placed on the back of the blade for control. We could then step across and throw them off their own sword handle with an up then down circular motion, or we could turn the sword back on them to make them release it and cut them in the process. It was definitely a tougher one. I need better timing and flow to make it work.

TKD Class: Black Belt Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. The CI and I spent the class going over some of the mount and guard defense we plan to teach in the women's self-defense seminar.

8/13/2024

Strength Training

Leg Press: 45x1, 135x10, 185x5, 225x3, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5.

Bench Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 125x10, 125x10, 125x10.

Bench press bothered my right shoulder somewhat.