• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

5/20/2024

Aikido Class: Morning Class: 8:30 - 9:30 am. After warmups and such, technique work started with doing ikkyo and then going into nikkyo. When applying nikkyo, I bring the uke's hand to my chest, and I have to work on making sure there is no gap between the hand and my chest. I wasn't getting it flat to start out, but picked up as I went along. Also, after the initial step back on the defense/grab, the key is to step the front leg back into a rear facing front stance (best way I can explain it), then I rotate the hips through to get to the lock. So, it's like going from a front stance facing north and rotating the hips to face south.

After this technique work, sensei wanted to work on his oyo and henka waza, and through this we learned a that a counter to ikkyo can lead into kokyonage.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/22/2024

Solo Workout: Rowing, 1 min/30 sec rests, 225 m per sprint, resistance level 7, 10 minutes. In the mat room I did Do-Kang 6, Choong Jang, Yoo Sin, three-steps 1-6, and finished with Do-Kang 6 again. Finished with a floor stretch, and then some time in The Rack. I get up to 140 degrees in The Rack. I really tank out on Do-Kang 6.

5/23/2024

Dryfire Training: 10 minutes. Draw and fire 4+ rounds each time. Actually trying to get the sights and the red dot lined up at the same time seemed to help level everything out. Worked on trigger control, on pull and reset.

• 2 weeks later...

5/25/2024

TKD Workout: 10 minutes of rowing, 1:00/30 sec, 225 m per sprint at resistance level 7.

Do-Gons 1-6, Choong Jang, Yoo Sin, 3-steps 1-6, then stretch. Got up to 140+ degrees in The Rack. 50 minutes.

5/31/2024

TKD Workout: 10 minutes of rowing, 1:00/30 sec, 230 m per sprint at resistance level 8. Floor stretch. Do-Gons 1, 2, and 6, all colored belt one-steps and three-steps 1-6. Floor stretch, then got in The Rack. 30 minutes.

6/3/2024

Aikido Class: Morning Class: 8:30 - 9:30 am. After stretching and basics, we did shomenuchi irimi-nage. With a taller person, I have to keep them closer and tight; with a shorter person who tends to stay upright, I have to produce a horizontal spiral at the shoulder. After that, sensei advanced it by having uke counter by facing me, like they were going to square up for a bear hug or a waste tackle. I keep stepping to move to the other side and keep the momentum while stepping. It worked pretty slick and just end up applying the same technique on the other side.

6/5/2024

TKD Workout: Rowing, 1m/30s, resistance level 8, 230 m per sprint, 10 minutes total. Floor stretch and gravity stretch. Did Do-Gon 6, all segments in a row. Se Jong, Yoo Sin, and Choong Jang hyungs. Three-steps 1-6. Finished with a floor stretch, followed by The Rack. I ran The Rack up to 150+ degrees with the chair back set at #2 position. It really hurt, so I backed down to 150.

Are you finding that the rowing is working well for you?

Well, I think it is. I gets my legs warmed up for the kicking, which is nice. I think it's getting to the point where I need to up the amount of time I spend on the rowing machine in total, maybe to 15 minutes.

6/7/2024

TKD Workout: Rowing, 1 min/30 sec, resistance level 8, 240 m per sprint, 10 minutes. Floor stretch. Do-Gons 1, 2, 6. Chon Ji, Dan Gun, Bo Chung hyungs. Three-steps 1-6. Push-ups, 3x5. Floor stretch, then sat in The Rack. Chair back at 2, did some PNF stretching and took it just past 150 degrees.

6/8/2024

Dryfire Training: 4-6 rounds per draw. Working on that trigger control.

6/10/2024

DT Training Day: I did four, 2-hour session of DT training for the department today. It's always a good time, and most of my co-workers are excited to do the training. We have some new people in, so I did another SPEAR intro session, and the second hour of training was working things off block/pass/pin.

For the SPEAR session, we worked up to the flow drill, and I added in CWCT principles, which is using the Closest Weapon to attack the Closest Target available. It made them think, and helps with that transition from the "reactive brain" in responding to a surprise attack and getting into the "cognitive brain" of working towards the goal of taking control and finishing.

In the block/pass/pin session, I introduced each segment one at a time, and after getting through that, we moved to "inserts" after each segment, looking for opening to counter and possibly work to a takedown and control. We worked in some attempts at armbar takedowns, the "palm to the chin" takedown, and bodylocks.

6/11/2024

Aikido Class: Morning Class. This was a pretty light class. We worked kote-gashi from a cross-hand grab, and from a lunge punch. I tried to focus on the grabbing positioning, leaving no gap with the hand. I also needed to focus on "pulling" to get the tension in the manipulation.

6/17/2024

TKD Workout: 4-cycle okinaga breathing in the car on the way, approximately 4 sec cycles. I tried to extend it to 5 sec, but I'd end up coughing for some reason.

Rowing: 1:15/30 sec, resistance level 9, 300 m per sprint, 10 minutes. This was definitely a step up in the difficulty. Floor stretch.

Green belt material: Do San, Won Hyu hyungs, green belt one-steps.

Do-Gons 3 and 6, Choong Jang hyung. Three-steps 1-6. Floor stretch, then used The Rack with the chair back at setting 2. Did some PNF stretching up to 140 degrees.

50 minutes total for the workout.