• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Today-

5k run

legs (yeah, that hurt. so much for the order I did that in)

4, 2 min rounds of shadowboxing drillls:

round 1- unarmed

round 2-knife work

round 3-single stick

round 4 double stick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 rounds of

1/4 mile run

35 lbs dumbbells swings

12 pull ups (broke into sets)

3, 2 min rounds of shadowboxing

round 1- combination work, pressing my cross into the fight more

round 2- trapping a crash to infight

round 3- sd kicking, side stops to knee, front to groin, ect. with hands

7-28-08

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 170x10, 215x6, 225x3

Dips: 3x6

Abs

Decline crunches w/alternating twists: 2x20

Legs

Leg extensions: 85x20, 20, 20

Leg curls: 115x20, 20, 20

Calf raises: 126x10, 10, 10

Combat Hapkido: 10:30 - 12:00. This was a good class. I pretty much spent the time teaching two other students; one who is advanced, and the same rank as me, and the other was a beginner in the system. My partner will ask me what we should do, and then he'll tell me "teach it to me," like how I would teach it in a class. It was a great deal, I think. Our newbee is picking up quite a bit, and is doing well.

We started out doing the kicks for the rank on the heavy bag. The bag hung low to the ground, to practice the kicks on a lower line than we usually do in TKD. We did the front kick, side kick, and back kick, 10 on each leg. Then, we did a mitt drill where one person was in the middle, and two others were on the outside. One person held the target pads, and the other held a kicking shield. The mitt holder would move and circle, flashing the pads for certain strikes (at this point, jabs, crosses, backfist or hammerfist, and the jab/cross combo). When both pads went up for the combo, then the defender would follow up by doing a back kick to the kicking shield, behind him, mirroring the mitt holder's movements. We did 1 minute each. Next, we went back to the heavy bag. To get some practice in throwing full-powered diminishing (not distracting) techniques, I would come from the side/behind the bag, and grab the defender (who was standing in a natural stance) on the wrist. The defender would then respond with a distraction technique into the bag at full power, while dropping into a ready position with the other hand up to defend. All these drills seemed to work well. Afterwards, the beginner and my partner did the yellow belt curriculum, spending quite a bit of time on each technique, getting the nuances down. The class was great, I thought, and we covered a myriad of things.

7-29-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Taught class tonight. It went pretty well. There were 7 total, with quite a few black belts.

Edited by bushido_man96

Sounds like a good one, bushido man. I too like to time things rather than count reps, it really keeps the energy levels up.

I certainly like the second bag holder from an entirely different angle during the mitt drills. Making the defender switch his main area of focus is a good idea.

Today-

back and bi's

1 mile run

1/2 mile flat interval runs

1/2 mile run

1/2 mile incline interals

1/2 mile cool down

My new work schedule is messing with my training rotation. Sleeping at night again is harder than I thought it would be :) . Who would have guessed. Hopefullly, I shake this pretty soon.

My new work schedule is messing with my training rotation. Sleeping at night again is harder than I thought it would be :) . Who would have guessed. Hopefullly, I shake this pretty soon.

In time, I think you will. It just takes a while to get used to again.

7-30-08

At the park

Dips: 2x5

Austrailian pull-ups (?): 2x10 These really hit the biceps.

Combat Hapkido: 7:00 - 8:00. Taught again tonight. I worked with one newer student, and then the other one joined us at 7:30. At that point, they worked together. I pretty much did some of the same drills that we did on Monday of this week. These two students seem to be very interested in the Hapkido program, so I am hoping that we can get this thing to take off.

Bushido man- what variation are Austrailian pull-ups? Might be nice to add them to my rotation.

Light one today-

Legs

shadowboxing- 3, 3 min rounds unarmed.

Yeah, I think my sleep will sort itself out. The schedule is really making me and my training partners work to find "class" time. Again, I think this will get easier too as I live the schedule a while. Still, it's been worth it.

The Australian pull ups, I was told, anyways, are when you hang under a lower bar where your feet can touch the ground, and you pull your chest up to the bar. Kind of like an upside down bench press, I guess? Felt really good, whatever its called.

7-31-08

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. Good class tonight. We really smacked the basics hard, and did some kicking on the walls. I did a bit of slow kicking and combinations before class started, as well.

All I got in today was about 20 minutes of climbing on the wall.

I was teaching my daughter and got the oppotunity to get laps in inbetween her efforts. Not bad for a fast burn, but a bummer since I'm gonna be tied up with family visits all weekend and probibly won't have time to train.

It was a real burn on the fingers and forarms, and remined me that I haven't done that much since I got back from vacation. I'll have to work it into the rotation a bit more.