• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Range time rocks! I am looking into buying my gun soon, so I will get more range time in.

7-14-08

Legs

Leg extensions: 85x20, 20, 20

Leg curls: 100x20, 20, 20

Front stance lunges: 105x10, 10, 10

Calf raises: 135x10, 126x10, 10

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 165x10, 205x6, 215x4

Triceps push-downs: 90x10, 105x8, 120x4

Abs

Decline sit-ups: 3x10x25 lbs.

Hanging knee raises: 3x5

Defensive Tactics: 9:20 - 10:30. My partner is putting together a class for the PD down here, so we went over some stuff for that class. During the class, we found some stuff that can work in quite well with some of our Combat Hapkido, so I got all excited and started penciling notes down on my ICHF curriculum sheets.

Evening: 20 minute walk, about a mile.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7-15-08

Combat Hapkido: 10:20 - 11:40. We worked on trapping today, and did some discussion on how we can work it into the curriculum for classes. More note taking!

Evening walk. 10 minutes on the first leg, 15 on the second leg.

Edited by bushido_man96

Yesterday-

tactical training with the rifle. Qual course for same.

Today-

Sub gun qualification. Trainined and qualed with speciality impact munitions (for our application, the bean bag shotgun)

crossfit-

4 rounds of:

1/4 mile run

50 air squats

chest/tris

I agree, range time is always good. Makes for long days but there aren't may better ways to spend a day in my opinion. Let's face it, getting paid to shoot ammo that someone else bought. Can't go wrong :) .

Let me know what you end up getting, bushido man.

Almost forgot, I'd be real interested in what you're how your DT program is shaping up. When you get a cirriculum I'd like to see how it comes out.

Also, what kind of trapping drills are you working w/ the hapkido? I'd be interesting to see how they fell into the system.

Question, tallgeese: what are air squats?

As for the DT program, my partner has a Level 3 or 4 certification in Hochheim's CQC system. I really enjoy the stuff we work on from it, and a lot of it fits in very well with some of the Combat Hapkido curriculum. He has had to trim some of the stuff that he can teach, because the AC here is a bit squeamish about some of the curriculum; worried about lawsuits, and all that jazz.

On a side note, I hear a lot of talk from officers around here that sounds like "I have a tazer," or "I have pepper spray," or "I have the baton" so "we don't need DT." People don't realize it is like insurance; you don't need it 90% of the time; but when you do, you are glad you have it.

The trapping for Combat Hapkido system is not as complex as it is in other systems. We do some stuff called brush/trap/strike, and it tends to flow in well with Hock's block/pass/pin ideas. I hope to eventually be able to work the trapping into the curriculum, to use when you secure a grip, but the opponent tries to attack with the other hand.

Well tuesday I ended up teaching during most of the class. After class I worked my self defense, one & two steps, and stickwork with a purple belt girl who was still there (I asked her to help me out and of course she didn't say no). Then I worked on my basics, frequently asking a couple of black belt teenage girls who were still hanging around in their street clothes finite details of technique. Then I had a red belt read off some of the basics for me as I did them. Then all four of them went outside and sat on the curb...I think they were tired of me bugging them :P . Then I went through my requirements notebook and marked what I wanted to work on for my privates.

As part of the class warmup we did the class instructors favorite warm-up. Putting your arms to the side and flicking your fingers and doing small circles till you thought you couldn't hold them up anymore. THEN we go down into like a fighting stance squat, and do rising kicks, returning to the squat after each kick. Ten each side, with your arms still out the whole time. Its killer for me right now but I want to work up to where I can do it without feeling like I'm going to fall over.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Bushido man, the air squats are just unweighted squats.

I've seen Hockheim's program and it really does have some good points to it. If memory serves, I like the takedown aspect. It's the one that utilized the straight arm bar/ bent arm takedown combination I believe. I also feel that the hadcufffing theory is better in his than in several other program 's I've seen. Including the one we currently work under.

I also agree that way to many people fall under the "I'll just" argument. Drives me nuts. It's usually, "I'll just shoot 'em." Well, I didn't shoot anyone last year, but I went hands on with so many I cant even begin to guess a number. And this coming from a firearms guy.

As for my day:

spent the work day doing rapid deployment training and drills at a local hs. with the range staff

crossfit (modified)

20 min running clock doing a circuit of-

15 push ups

36 dips

9 reps of push-press at 95 lbs.

back and bi's.

No bag work, too smokes after the day.

I am still pretty new to Hock's system, but the more we work with it, the more I like it. He is very matter-of-fact, and doesn't pull any punches.

7-17-08

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. Class was good tonight. After the basics, the black belts did Do-Kangs 1 and 2. I was pretty toasted after that; lots of hand techniques. Sparring wasn't too bad, but I still felt pretty tired. Sometimes, I wish we would spar at the beginning of class, so that I would be so wasted.

Two Shotokan classes today.

Sensei worked us pretty hard second class, we trained a wide spectrum of techniques and drills instead of focusing on only a few things like normal. A lot of sparring.

After that came home and hit on my new makiwara for the first time... It's rather think I think I need to cut it down a bit more.

Ah, the makawari. I think I have a touch of arthritis from those. Now days, I pad my hands up anytime I repetivily hit things. Even the heavy bag. But I still have a makaiwara of sorts on one of the studs in the garage.

Today-

ran 2 miles

crossfit

7 sets of 1 rep, weighted pull-ups (extra 45 lbs.)

bag work

2, 4 min rounds on the heavy bag

round 1- focused on heavy kicks, keeping hands up during

round 2- hands and head movement