• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Yes, I try to always punch cross-mitt, for exactly the reasons you described. IT does train you to work as much hip rotation as possible with each strike.

I try to even work upper cuts in that manner. If I can design the drill to function off of that basic configuration I do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. That is what I thought was right, but wanted to check with someone who works mitts more regularly than I do.

The ICHF sets up some strikes as part of the curriuclum of each rank. Yellow belt has vertical punch (jab and cross), hammer fist, and back fist. I have come up with some mitt drills to work these techniques in combination, for when I ever get to teach a class for it. Orange belt introduces uppercut and hook. Later belts bring in palm strikes and elbows. There are kicks in each as well, but they are stressed to be kept as low-line kicks for distraction purposes. I don't like the word distraction, though; I prefer the idea of debilitate or diminish the fighter.

I agree, these definatly serve as distractions, but I like the concept of attempting to debilitate the opponant as well.

As far as some of the strikes you're working on here's a couple of things I would try to put together. Again, there's a high likelihood that you're using these alreay, but just to brain storm-

jab, cross, front kick to shin (reverse w kick first as well)

lead leg shin to quad,immediate cross (add lead hook later)

lead jab, slide to lead side, lead hook

jab,cross,hook,hook, uppercut (or just jab,cross, upper)

backfist (or hammer w lead), rear hook, lead uppercut

jab, cross, lead elbow, upper cuttin elbow off of rear hand

Just some thoughts give the weapons you described. If you're carful, and have a good partner, you can work some grab and knees with mitts as well once you close.

Thanks for the tips, tallgeese. I like those. I have a few questions:

lead leg shin to quad
Is this a round kick to the upper leg, Thai style?

front kick to shin
Do you wear something to use as a mitt for this, and the above technique?

No prob, bushido man.

First, yes it's a thai style kick on that one. Off the lead leg, you sacrifice power, but it's still a good shot for what we're talking about here, definatly under used.

Second, no just putting the kick on the shin will suffice. I'd reccomend the holder wear shin pads as contact does tend to escelate. If you go without them, you can see how the front kick to the shin can change the opponats body position. It can be very instructive, but you're partner won't like it much if you continue to hammer away at his unprotected shin :) . This can be a great opener as it does draw the bad guys guard down.

Todays workout-

crossfit (modified)

3 rounds of:

Deadlift by 5 reps

10 burpies

legs

3-2min rounds of shadow boxing

round 1- focused on closing to infight range

round 2- infight w elbows and knees

round 3- worked folding strikes thru combination

Today-

crossfit (modified)

20 minutes continous with the below rotation:

12 alt. lunges

15 glut/ham sit ups

15 goodmornings

15 pullups (had to do sets of 5)

15 dips

On an unrelated note: bushido man, drop me a PM when you get a chance and let me know if that focus mitt stuff i sent you was helpful or not.

Today-

warm up- stick work in air for 5 min

crossfit (mod.)

15 shoulder presses- 95 lbs.

1 pull up

13 sp's

3 pu's

11 sp

5 pu

9 sp

7 pu

7 sp

9 pu

5 sp

11 pu

3 sp

13 pu

1 sp

15 pu

Had to break down the pull-ups at the higher reps. Sets of 5's or less usually past 9.

Cool down- knife work 5 min

Detailed to range for the week :) .

Got to spend the day training with the rilfe and sub-guns our dept. issues. Lots of fun, plenty of rounds down range.

After that:

free roll 30 min

sparring of various sorts, 4 min rounds for another 30 or so