• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crossfit

Started a running clock, on the first minute, one pull up. During the second min, 2 pull ups. Third minute, 3 pull ups. Ect, to failure. I only got to 9. My back is still pretty smoke from grappling yeasterday.

Short leg workout.

Bushido-man, if you ever get the chance to post some of the things you're doing for the combat hapkido, or could point me to site that talked about it, I'd be real interested in seeing what it included at each rank.

Hey, tallgeese. When I get some time, I can give you an idea of what we do with our Combat Hapkido. Right now, we are going through curriculum, for the most part. I don't know if it is listed anywhere online, though. I do have some ideas of some things that I want to focus on if and when I ever get a chance to teach it.

I am really excited this week, because my daughter is not baby-sitting, and I will get to go to TKD class 3 times this week!!!! Yeaaaaaa!!!! :lol:

Nice, can't go wrong there.

Just finished up with:

1/2 mile run with treadmill at highest elevation

chest/tris, used only DB's this week. Still trying to nurse my wrist a bit

3, 3 min rounds to cool down of 1/2 speed shadow boxing. Worked specifically on head movement and chin coverage with strikes.

7-7-08

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 165x10, 205x8, 215x4...I felt like I could have gotten more here, if I would have had a spotter.

Triceps push-downs: 90x10, 105x8, 120x4

Legs

Front stance lunges: 10, 95x10, 10...These were good for my knees; not nearly as much impact on them as regular lunges.

Abs

Decline sit-ups: 3x10x25 lbs.

Hanging knee raises: 3x10

Treadmill: 20 minutes. I even jogged for a few minutes. I think that I shouldn't have, though, because my knees didn't forgive me later on in the evening. Afterwards, I stretched out my arms and legs.

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. After being out for a few weeks, class really sucked tonight. You know its bad when you are half way through basics, and you think to yourself, "man, sparring is going to suck tonight!" :lol: I began by warming up doing some forms; I did 5 of them before class started.

Tonight-

reviewed ankle lock/heel hook series-15 min

free roll-35 min or so

mitt training to locking and or ground and pound, choice -30 min

crossfit-

100 pull ups (got 5 sets of 10, 2 sets of 5, then had to go to assisted. Finished in sets of 10)

100 push ups

100 sit ups

100 air squats

bicep workout, one set of other rows for the back, but I was pretty blasted already on this

7-8-08

Legs

Leg extensions: 85x10, 15

Leg curls: 85x20

Combat Hapkido: 10:00 - 11:00. We opened up by working on some mitt work. I like doing mitt work, and we did some easy jab, cross, and some uppercut and hook drills. For curriculum, we just did the Red Belt stuff.

What kind of mitt drills do you do, tallgeese?

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. All black belts tonight, so we reviewed several of the forms and our Do-Kangs. This got a good sweat going. Towards the end of class, we worked a bit on some self-defense stuff.

Also had 20 minute walk with the family tonight.

Edited by bushido_man96

Hey bushi,

As far as mitt work goes I try to do most all of it based out of combinations. The exception would be working on reactionary timing by having a mitt holder move in fight mode and feed out a single mitt. The idea being to have the student react as quickly as possible to strike the mitt. I work mainly the jab with this drill since it's the stike most commonly used to explode quicky across the gap.

As far as combinations go, I try to do them all from moving. Maybe a few reps stationary just to get the movement, after that I want the holder moving as if we were sparring.

I like settin up combos that flow naturally together so maximal power is generated in each.

I also have the mitt holder "attack" occassionally with the mitts to make me remember to defend. This can be by punching with the mitts, kicking, or attempting a takedown. I also try to make sure I'm throwing kicks while workin g the mitts as well, this makes me train to integrate the two during fighting.

There's also alot of good in the idea of having the trainee on the mitts move in behind his shots and attempt takedowns and joint controling movments.

I sent you an e-mail with an article I'm workin on that has more detail. Let me know if you got it.

Thanks for that, tallgeese. I appreciate it. When you work a jab/cross combo, do you throw each punch to the opposite pad, like right jab to mitt holder's right mitt? That is how I have done it in the past, to get good rotation and hip into the technique, and to get the feet into it.