• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

That last drill is a really good idea bushido man. Very clever, and it addresses some issues that we've been kicking around the boards here a bit latley that often get overlooked in classes. Might have to steal that and call it research :) .

As for my workout today:

Went over scarf hold on the ground as well as escapes from same, drilled this while in controlled roll- 15 to 20 min.

30 min of free roll followed by a three man round robin for each of us.

Finished with sparring from the ground. Spent about 10 min working drills from here, another 15 actually sparring.

We then promptly ruined all the work we did by heading out for sandwhiches afterwards. Well, there's always tomorrow.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last drill is a really good idea bushido man. Very clever, and it addresses some issues that we've been kicking around the boards here a bit latley that often get overlooked in classes. Might have to steal that and call it research :) .

Steal it, man! Glad I could offer something up for you. We didn't spend much time on the drill; not near as much as I would have liked to, but enough to get the students thinking. Most of the info I passed on has been stuff I picked up in reading and whatnot. However, I think it is important to spend time on this stuff; knowing when to punch and kick is just as important as know how to punch and kick.

We then promptly ruined all the work we did by heading out for sandwhiches afterwards. Well, there's always tomorrow.

Hehehe......I have slaughtered many a workout with tactics like these. If I have a vice, it is food...... :brow:

crossfit-

5 rounds of:

max reps bench press-your body weight (175)

pull ups

10 set leg work out.

3-3 min rounds on the heavy bag.

1- worked on getting my back hand more active at range.

2-knees/elbows/kicks, focused on really striking with the cutting point of the elbow, not just throwing it in.

3-kicks/knees just to really burn the legs. and my kick combos need work.

Thus ends my long weekend of bachelorhood. Wife and kids are back from the grandparents tonight. At least I won't be eating cereal for two meals a day.

Thus ends my long weekend of bachelorhood. Wife and kids are back from the grandparents tonight. At least I won't be eating cereal for two meals a day.

Ah, cereal. The good stuff. :lol:

6-29-08

20 minute walk with the wife and little one.

Today-

good chest/tri work out

heavy bag- 4, 2 min rounds. Focused on defensive movement. Workrd on elbow out of clinch, and a couple of more set ups.

6-30-08

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 165x10, 205x6, 215x4

Triceps push-down: 90x10, 105x8, 120x6

Seated incline triceps push-down: 105x15, 120x10, 10

Incline dumbell bench: 30x10

Incline dumbell flies: 30x10

Back/shoulders

Hang clean & jerk: 115x5, 135x5

Abs

Decline crunches: 3x15

Hanging leg raises: 2x5

Treadmill: 30 minute walk, then stretched. I find that my treadmill time makes good reading time, as well. :P

Edited by bushido_man96

Yeasterday-

full class nite.

warm up

went over ankle lock/ heel hook series and defenses- 20 min

free roll-30 min

interval training/ mma sparring from ground, concetration on escaping from negitive positions- 30 min

finished with 3, 1 min rounds of sd focused sparring.

Yesterday (yeah, I can't seem to catch up)

crossfit (modified)

3 rounds of:

Deadlift 135 lbs, 15 reps

Hang Cleans 135 lbs, 12 reps (only got 5 reps on last set)

Front Squats 135 lbs, 9 reps

Push Jeaks 135 lbs, 6 reps

15 min mitt work session to end. Focused on basic combos in conjunction with movment into differnt joint positions and sweeps. Set up combos, spontaneous joint manipulations.

Today (finally, I catch up a bit)

back and bi's

worked through triangle choke/serpintine armbar series-15 min

free roll-30 min

mitt work-25 min

began with combinations

worked into same combinations with movement/ defensive measures

finished with odd man out initating takedown after combo, reactive options included any takedown defense, strkiking (not limited to mma, could simulate eye gouges and such, elbows to back of head/neck), or ground work (including strikes)