• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

4-6-08

I took my son to the park today, and did my own little workout while playing with him.

I tried to do some pull-ups. I got quite a ways up on the first one, but hit a point where I couldn't get past. It felt like I was about half-way there, or a bit better, but couldn't complete it. I did a few more after that, each of which went less and less the way up. I also did some dips on some other bars, and also scaled the monkey bars once.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-8-08

Training is kind of off this week. I don't think I will be making class this week, so it is up to some solo time at home.

I took about 10 or 15 minutes to work on just the first 15-20 moves of my form, Yoo Sin. I worked on the hip movement and getting power into the techniques, by trying to increase speed. Just doing this much, and working on the sitting stances, got my legs a little bit sore. Doing lots of reps in a little time got the wind going, too.

4-11-08

Pushups: 5x10

Sit ups: 4x10

I also spent time working on my form again today, doing the first 10 to 15 movements. I was concentrating on using hip twist and body motion to get power in my techniques, and am finding a few things that work, and a few things that I thought I was doing, but need more work at.

4-14-08

Push-ups: 3x10...a few of these reps were with my son crawling on my back. :D

Sit-ups: 3x10

Standing chambering legs, alternating: 3x20

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. Good class tonight. Basics wore me down. My form felt good tonight, too. Sparring was good; I worked on some things that the 4th dan in the class helped me with. I worked on closing the gap with some sliding forward side kicks, and then proceding to follow up with more offense. It worked well, but made me tired. I am usually much more defensive when fighitng.

4-16-08

Day at the park! Tried to do pull-ups again, got 3 1/2 pull-ups done. Held the last one for a bit, too. I also hung and swung the monkey bars 3 times. Also did 2 sets of 3 dips.

4-17-08

TKD Class: Good class tonight. I worked on sliding with my side kicks in basics to use in sparring. After basics, I did 2 sets of 10 push-ups, followed by some stretching. When we were doing one-steps, I was working with a 1st dan, and I was giving him ideas to speed up his kicking combinations. He began improving immediately, and I told him to take it into sparring with him, too. He did, and his sparring was so much better tonight. He was not used to being so active, and he was really tired. After I got a few kicks to his head, I gave him some advise on keeping his hands up. After that, he managed to kick me right in the side of the head! :P :lol: It was a good, solid round kick, too. I told him that he did a great job.

4-21-08

Ugg. I am sick this week. It sucks. No class, no lifting. I did go to the park with my son, though, and managed 4 1/2 pull-ups. It felt like, on the first one, that I had pulled myself up just a bit farther. I could feel it differently in my shoulders. I may be getting closer to a full pull-up!

• 2 weeks later...

4-28-08

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 155x10, 185x6, 205x4

Dips: 2 sets of 4

Technique work:

Cable back kick: 50x5, 5 each leg.

Jab: 3 sets of 10x10 lbs. each side.

Middle block: 2 sets of 10x8 lbs. each side.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Taught class tonight. There were 4 adults in the class, so when I had them break to get drinks, I told them each to grab sets of dumbells, 5 lbs., 8 lbs., 10 lbs., whatever they felt comfortable with, and I had them do Chon Ji hyung, holding onto the dumbells. They really enjoyed it.

4-29-08

Back/biceps

Pull-ups: 4 half-way pull ups.

1 arm dumbell row: 35x10, 40x10, 40x8

Back hyperextension: 3x10

Seated cable row: 110x10, 120x8, 130x6

Barbell curls: 70x10, 80x8, 85x4

Technique work

Cable reverse punch: 40x10, 50x10, 10 each side.

High block: 3 sets of 10x8 lbs. each side.

Combat Hapkido: 10:45 - 11:50. Today we worked on Blue belt material. We just started with it, so we took it slow and worked our way through it.

5-1-08

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. Class was ok tonight. I didn't feel like my basics were that great. At the end, we worked on some sparring drills that were kind of fun.