• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week to date:

5/18: 6.2 mile run

5/19: 90 minute karate workout, hand techniques, kata

5/20: 5.5 mile run, included 12x400 "speed" intervals

5/21: 3.1 mile jog in AM, 90 minute karate workout, kicks and pad work

5/22: 6.6 miles run, included 4x1 mile "speed" intervals

Legs are feeling OK but quite tired. Intervals this morning were slower than I hoped for. Rest day tomorrow and then 2 runs this weekend including a long run of 12 miles.

Note that I'm looking to run a half marathon in August, if I didn't I'd still run but I would cut the distance considerably but increase the speed.

Edit: First time in a few weeks that I was able to get in two karate workouts. Felt good to do so.

Edited by hammer

5/19/2014

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:20 pm. Taught class. Basics, then forms by rank (no review of low rank forms), and one-steps. Instead of sparring, I got blockers out, and had the students use the arm-crossing portion of a knifehand strike as a blocking drill; the flinch reflex type of drill. I was calling out by count so they could get the timing down, then had them do it freely. After that, I had them moving like sparring, and I would swing the blocker so they had to cross their arms for the block. After that, I showed them an application for the knifehand strike we do in basics as a simple self-defense technique, inlcuding block, seizing, and striking all in one nice package that we train everyday.

5/20/2014

Range: 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Worked on drawing and firing from the hip at the 1 and a half yard line, then did a drill with metal "pepper popper" targets, where the rangemaster called out a color and strong or weak hand, and we had to either shoot from behind the cover, or step out and aquire the target accordingly. Dummy rounds were inlcuded in this drill. After that, we did some practice from the 25 yard line, and I think I got some things figured out to get better grouping from that distance. I went through all of these drills several times. A good day at the range.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00 pm. I participated in this class. Basics, then stretch. Form (Choong Jang), then one-steps. Did a mix of white belt and blue belt one-steps. Then did 3 or 4 rounds of sparring. I did ok, but need to work on my movement and counters something fierce. Had about 20 minutes of stretching after class, too.

Bushido man, if you get the chance check out Chris Cerino's Pistol Diagnostics course. I think he might be changing the course name to Moder Pistol this year. Its a four day, 1000 round plus course that I'd the best pure marksmanship course I've ever attended. Well worth your time.

5/22

PTK night. Double stick. Structures and postures. Single and flow attacks and when to use each. Integration of footwork forward and back on the angles. Worked on matching timing and bridging.

Worked on matching structures and then taking opposing structures before finishing with flow work. Had a major light bulb moment in my understanding of assessing and developing timing.

He does a tour thru the midwest every year. I'd check his site for dates and such.

5/24

Open mat at my old school downstate. Rolling, some Kali action, and a bit of sparring. A good time was had by all.

5/25

Weapon sparring day. Single and double stick.

I will try to look into that, tallgeese. Thank you.

5/26/2014

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:15. Taught this class, and only three kids in today with it being Memorial Day, but we have testing this week, so we went ahead with having class. I did basics, then forms, and each student did their own form at least 3 times, working a little things here and there, giving them pointers to sharpen up on. I had each of the colored belt students do one-steps once through at least with a black belt, so they could get them all in using the testing format. After one-steps, I had them spar in round-robin fashion, as all three of them are going to the organization's annual tourney in Topeka this weekend, too.

5/27/2014

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:15 pm. Basics, with a few change ups in the combinations, doing punch and consecutive round kicks, and another doing punch, back leg front kick, back leg side kick. Stretched, then did my form, Choong Jang. I'm getting better at it, but need to put more solo work in to really clean it up. For one-steps, I did run-throughs with a white belt, and then a high green belt. No sparring, but after class, I worked with some brothers, the high green belt and a low blue belt, on some sparring drilling ideas using the hogu and a target pad for drilling combos, and talked about a few different combo ideas and setups to try working on.

5/29

Chest/ bis

Abs

1.5 mile run

Cool down with PTK footwork

5/30

Drilled arm drag, lever from tie up to arm drag, duck under, shuck from tie up to arm drag.

40 min free roll.