• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

11 Feb 2014

-35min circuits: bodyweight strength training, cardio, abs.

-10min kihon.

-10min kicking for technique.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double session (class)

1st class.

80 kicks (kin Geri)

80 kicks (knee strikes)

30 ('ish)mins kihon

30 ('ish)mins kata

2nd class.

All kihon - by grades in random order.

70 pushups

100 sit ups

...used to split the above kihon/kyu

all 5 pinan kata

1st Ku kata

Yantsu

Tzuki no kata

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Have man flu - need rest and medication !stat!

That is the worst. Get better.

2/12

Drilled breaking the closed guard. Moved into knee slide pass. Finished with knee over same side pass.

20 min free roll.

1 round stand up w strikes.

13 Feb 2014.

Circuits (3x sets, 2min rest between sets, no rest between stations) 30min total:

-Starjumps.

-Dips.

-Squats.

-Mountain climbers.

-V ups.

-Pushups.

-Up and down plank.

-Kihon, 10min.

-250 kicks, various. End half focus on Jodan Mawashi Geri variations.

-Quick abs, 5min.

Hawkmoon: interesting circular motion on the knifehand double blocks on that first Pinan kata.

Alex: knife sparring sounds like a good time!

2/10/2014 -- Kept this day pretty busy!

Defensive Tactics club: 1:30 - 3:00 pm. Worked what we call the "jits roll," which is the armbar/triangle/omoplata transition from the guard. We would hit two armbars, one on each side, then move to the next in the transition, so we would get plenty of reps. After repping those three a while, we added a transition to the gogoplata from before the triangle, and after the triangle. Still getting comfortable with some of the movements and transitions, bet am getting better. We had some free roll at the end of the class, and I free rolled for the first time. I did earn a tap, but spent most of my time getting my neck cranked defending a guillotine choke. I eventually got away, was able to reverse, get on top, and pass an armbar or triangle attempt to get to side control. I ended up pulling his own arm around his neck, and he tapped due to shoulder injury that was a bit re-aggravated. I've been told there is an arm-triangle choke in there, and they showed me afterwards. It was fun, and I learned some things!

Wrestling practice: 3:45 - 4:15 pm with Kendall. We each did two minutes of warmup on the rope pulling machine. I would do 30 seconds pulling down, and then 30 seconds pulling it up, rest, then another minute. What a workout! That, or I am really out of shape. :( Then I did some rep work with Kendall:

Sit-outs x5

Stand-ups x5

Standing switches x5

Switches x5

Worked some duck-unders to single-leg takedowns (for those guys who keep trying to headlock him), and also arm-drag to single-leg takedown. Good work, and he enjoys going to the gym, but mostly to mess around, I think....

Taught TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Basics: Did all the usual, but tweaked a few of them. I get concerned with the back stance some of the students take, because they get too spread out with their feet, and then have to either shuffle step to get out of it, or have to slide a foot to execute a front leg kick. So, I had them do their double knifehand block, then a front leg front kick, then land and step forward into the next double knifehand block (which we do in a back stance). I also had them do one that began with a knifehand strike (back stance), front leg front kick, step forward to double knifehand block. Adding the kick helped them focus on the stance, and being able to be mobile from it. Forms: Chon Ji on up for review for all ranks. Eventually, I started peeling the lower and intermediate ranks off so they could start one-steps. One-steps: some review, and some high rank reps. Sparring: had some fun with sparring. Did a few rounds of regular rules sparring, but then did some limited sparring rounds. I did rounds where the students could only kick with their front legs, only left or right leg kicks (mainly made high ranks kick with their left for this one), must throw 2 punches after a kick before being allowed to throw another kick, and if they throw a round kick, then the next kick must be a spin side kick before they do any other kick. The students enjoyed this sparring, and it made them think of doing different things instead of the same thing they do every class.

I really need more days of training like this one!

Yes, bushidoman, it is a great time. It really has to be looked at as attribute and skill set development. It's not so much a fight simulation as the first two. That's where it gets misunderstood. And of course it is a ton of fun

2/13

Finished up a 4 day pistol course with Chris Cerino today and can really say that it was excellent. Probably the best shooting school I've been to so far, really took my pistol craft to a new level. Lots of new training methods to work on.

Hawkmoon: interesting circular motion on the knifehand double blocks on that first Pinan kata.

http://karatetest.com/kyokushinkai/7thkyu/shuto-mawashi-uke-74.htm

'Shuto Mawashi Uke' - this is an old video, but one that at least with that 'block' shows the difference between IKO Kyokushin Karate and IFK Kykushin Karate.

IFK has a more 'cut' end to the forward arm, think knife hand strike to the coller bone.

...more like Shuto Sakotsu Uchi at the end!

http://karatetest.com/kyokushinkai/4thkyu/shuto-sakotsu-uchi-95.htm

Still dying from man flu!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

17 Feb 2014.

-Full Kyokushin warmup, 15min.

-Full kihon drill, all strikes/blocks from sanchin.

-Kicks, 250 total for sped and cardio.

-Combinations from moro-ashi-dachi (natural fighting stance), 15min - focus on kicking finishers.

-All kata to Shodan.

-Conditioning, 10min.

-Splits training, 5min.

-weights circuit (2 sets, 1min rest between sets). Squats, Roman split squats, press, bent over row, alternating dumbbell shoulder press, wood chop. -Finish with side planks to exhaustion.

-Arnis training - live machetes. Focus on dual wielding and single blade to defang.