• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

-Tsuki-No.

Sorry I know not the right thread, but had to say I do like Tsuki-no.

Great kata.

26/10

Isometrics - arms 30mins.

kata pinan - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - x2

28/10

2 hr stamina work.

1hr punch combinations

finished session on Knockdown bouts.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/28/2013

Taught TKD: 6:00 - 7:30 pm. There were 10 in this class, but only 1 was an adult. We got through basics, where I added in a combination to work on back leg side kicks along with front stances. I had three of the high ranked kids there do some forms review with the lower ranks, along with their own forms. One-steps, everyone got some review and their own steps down, and we took some time to spar, as well.

Unfortunately, after the class, I had a parent tell me one of our older kids would watch me, and when I turned my back, proceed to turn up the contact levels with some of the kids. I'm glad it was pointed out to me, but frustrated that it was going on when I wasn't looking. So, I'll be addressing this with the head instructor, as well.

10/29

AM

Drilled key lock and kimura from side controll. Kimura set up from side controll advancing to mount. Kimura set up to knee on belly to rolling to trap head.

Arm entanglement from side control to set up s mount.

30 min free rolling

PM

Sub for sub easy rolling an helping students with working submission combinations set up.

10/29/2013

Defensive Tactics club: 1:30 - 3:00 pm. I got to teach some basic cuffing techniques and tactics. I covered cuffing a compliant individual, and this allowed the students to work on giving good, clear commands, and putting the "suspects" in the positions that they want them in to conduct searches, etc. We also covered cuffing and control with resisting suspects after taking them to the ground. From there, we covered getting a cuffed suspect that is on his/her belly to getting them up and standing. Towards the end of the class time, one of the guys demonstrated some different options grappling from side control. Lots to learn!

10/30/2013

Taught TKD: 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Class filled back in a bit tonight, with 8 in the class. I've decided with these longer classes to add in a basic, starting in fighting/back stance, front leg moves to front stance, reverse punch, followed by back leg side kick; land forward in front stance and repeat. We do this with punch/front snap kick and punch/round kick, as well, so it fits in well. Forms, focused on a few different with each crew, especially turning with the white belt. The black belts got a forms name review, did Won-Hyo, Choong Moo, and their Do-Kang 1. One-steps went well, with lots of reps, and then into sparring. After 15 minutes of sparring, I had the students leave their chest protectors on so we could do a blocking/footwork/counter drill. I had them in a closed sparring stance, and the attacker did a back leg front kick, straight into the chest protector. The defender had to angle step off-line while down blocking the kick away, and then counter with a punch. The drill went well, and I think I can build off of it into round kicks, and eventually into different counters.

Prior to the class, I did a run-through of Do-Kangs 1 and 2 for review, and also Se Jong. I spoke with some of the orange belts about focusing power through a small point as opposed to a larger one, and some general conditioning tips for when they prepare for board breaking.

11/1

15 min of skill specific warm up. Takedowns, passing guard, maintaining guard.

Drilled north/south shin control from top side moving thru arm lock series.

30 min free roll.

11/4

Back in town after a long weekend. Between work training and family I have just been behind the eight ball on the mats.

Drilled guard passing. Double unders and two variants of over/ under. 3, 3 min rounds of pass vs. guard.

30 min free roll.

20 min knife work. Focus on disarms and live drilling.

30/10

30 shadow sparring

20 min bag work

45 endurance/stamina

1/11

Missed Session - Injury picked up 28/10 :kaioken:

4/1/2013 - (all wrapped up)

100 x sit ups

100 x push ups

100 x squats

100 x leg lifts

- across 4 hr session

20 min knockdown bouts.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

-Tsuki-No.

Sorry I know not the right thread, but had to say I do like Tsuki-no.

Great kata.

Me too, its pretty underrated I think. I disliked it at first, but its a great kata for perfecting kihon and moving with speed from deeper stances.

I've not seen a lot of bunkai that rivals other kata, but its the intricate simplicity that I love!

5 Nov 2013.

Circuits (90min, legs and abs focus - 2min rounds, 20sec break between rounds. 5min break at 45min):

-Mountain climbers.

-Leg raises.

-Windscreen wipers.

-Weighted lunges.

-Skipping.

-V-ups.

-Speed bag.

-Heavy bag round, punching.

-Kicking drills (mawashi).

-Kicking drills (front kick).

-Bicycle crunches.

-Goblet squats.

-Kicking drills (spinning back).

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."