• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

5/3

1 mile run.

Today was the end of a five week stint running the department's spring training shoot. It was great to get so many rounds down range, it was horrible to be out in the weather so much as April didn't exactly treat us well. All in all, though, very good time. Now I get to breath for a weekend and roll right back into a 4 week block of teaching control tactics.

That sounds awesome. We've got two training sessions this month, one range and one Taser. Always fun training.

5/5/2013

10 pistol draws. Had to work a funny shift, so no walking today.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/6

am-

3 hours with Prof. Roy Harris today at the department in regard to control tactics. Great look at things from a FMA/ JKD standpoint. Continued with some knife work that he'd stated with us last year. Broke down some cloth fighting concepts and tactics for us to control. Overarching all this, he walked thru his skill building progression and methodology. Very cool stuff. Seriously, I can't say enough good things about training with Prof. Harris.

pm-

Drilled gi chokes at class using the untucked lapel while using guard.

40 min free roll. Focus on pressure from top from this weekends seminar. Tried new material as well any time possible from the bottom.

I'm now going to bed. And I intend to sleep like a log.

5/7

Started the 4 weeks stint in CT today. Which means for me lots of repping our knife work based off last years training w Prof. Harris, strike training, and police focused ground fighting. This year we're focusing on staying on top of bad guys having spent the last couple of years on dealing with the bottom.

pm-

Abs

Back/ bis

1.25 mile run

That sounds like some great training. I'd be interested to see what kind of knife work you are doing. Is your striking primarily based on open hand, or closed hand?

5/6/2013

5 pistol draws

5/7/2013

30 min walk, stretch.

5 pistol draws.

That sounds like some great training. I'd be interested to see what kind of knife work you are doing. Is your striking primarily based on open hand, or closed hand?

5/6/2013

5 pistol draws

5/7/2013

30 min walk, stretch.

5 pistol draws.

We do both. I'm not sure you could say we teach primarily one thing or the other. We try to teach them situationally for what response you're looking for.

As a rough set of guidelines we use a lot of palm heels and brachial strikes to the head and neck while we focus more on punching, kneeing, and elbowing on the torso and extremities.

Again, just generalizing.

I'll try to get some knife work on video and get a link up for you on it. Like I said, we got it from Prof. Harris and it's FMA based. Very focused on training method, flow and repetition compared to most things I've seen. It's a partner drill so both parties have a knife in hand, you should have seen the fireworks that ensured from the LT level when we wrote that into the lesson plan. It took some discussion to explain the philosophy of pared training for repetition sake to them. We managed to get the okay though and it's been really well received to date.

5/8

Drilled chokes with the untucked gi tail from guard and one arm bar variant.

40 min free roll. Worked on material from the weekend and taking back.

5/6/2013

5 pistol draws

5/7/2013

30 min walk, stretch.

5 pistol draws.

We do both. I'm not sure you could say we teach primarily one thing or the other. We try to teach them situationally for what response you're looking for.

As a rough set of guidelines we use a lot of palm heels and brachial strikes to the head and neck while we focus more on punching, kneeing, and elbowing on the torso and extremities.

Again, just generalizing.

I'll try to get some knife work on video and get a link up for you on it. Like I said, we got it from Prof. Harris and it's FMA based. Very focused on training method, flow and repetition compared to most things I've seen. It's a partner drill so both parties have a knife in hand, you should have seen the fireworks that ensured from the LT level when we wrote that into the lesson plan. It took some discussion to explain the philosophy of pared training for repetition sake to them. We managed to get the okay though and it's been really well received to date.

Cool, I'd like to see the knife drills. I'll bet there were some raised eyebrows when that was mentioned. But, its great they gave you the benefit of the doubt and trusted your judgement. I look forward to seeing the video.

5/8/2013

30 minute walk.

Taught TKD: 6-7pm. Basics up to side kicks, then I did some drills to emphasize proper side kicking, and making sure students weren't cheating their side kicks into round kicks. Form review after that, and a bit of a tourney debrief with those that went (more on this in the What did you teach today? thread in Instructor Central). Sparred, and since there was an odd number of kids, I worked in and sparred them. They wore me out, too. :)

5/10/2013

30 minute walk.

5 pistol draws.

5/11/2013

5 pistol draws.

5 Taser draws.

5/17

1.75 mile run

Abs

Finally back after 5 day interlude from CT instruction to attend a Force Science course put on by some phenomenal professionals, including Dr. Alexis Artwohl whose work might familiar to some people on the board. Amazing.

The workload kept me from training, but I'm back. bushidoman, I'll get on that video as soon as I get a chance.

5/18

Rickson Gracie seminar today! He covered some great conceptual work and taught us all principles that apply across a wide array of positions. This gave us an amazing look at his view on BJJ and let us work thru several positions, ect.

It's like a jiu jitsu bomb went off in my head. I will probably spend the next few weeks just trying to sort it all out.

Amazing.