• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/30

Worked clinch breaking and body shots. Moved in to positional free roll with strikes. Free roll, no gi. 60 min total.

9/27/2012

AM - 30 minutes of rehab.

Kwonkicker front kick tutorial. Back leg and Front leg kicks, stepping back leg kicks, shuffling front leg kicks, using both the bag and kicking without the bag - 20 minutes.

Afternoon - 30 minutes of rehab.

TKD Testing - 6:30 - 8:00. The instructor asked if I would be able to judge, as we had a girl testing for black belt. She did a really good job, and I could see that her technique had gotten so much better. There were several colored belts that tested as well, and everyone did a pretty good job.

9/28/2012

AM - PT at the clinic for an hour and 15 minutes.

Afternoon - 30 min. at home.

9/29/2012

AM session - 30 minutes.

9/30/2012

AM rehab 30 min.

Edited by bushido_man96

10/1

Drilled over choke from single leg. Moved into anaconda choke and finished with Peruvian necktie.

45 min free roll.

What is a "Tension side kicks"?

9/27 gym 75 min low pyramid - split body

Tension side kicks, or as my first ATA instructor called them, "concentration side kicks." What you do is do your side kick out slowly, then rechamber slowly, making the leg muscles fatigue throughout the course of the movement, thus building physical and mental strength.

In my first days in the ATA, when you might say we did more "traditional" stuff, our classes would follow a fairly regular routine. Line-up, warmup and stretch, then do forms and one-steps. Then two lines down the center of the room, and do sparring. We would spar for a bit, then face each other, bow, and rotate, and do this for around 15 minutes. Then, we would go grab a spot on the wall to do concentration side kicks. We would use the wall for balance, and the instructor would call out "chamber," then hold it there for however long, then call out "execute," at which time we would kick out sloooowly (that is the key) to full extension, usually between a 3 and 5 second kick, and then hold it there until the instructor would call out "rechamber," and then, he would call out "return" to set the kicking leg down, or more often than not, call out "execute" to kick back out. Rinse and repeat for as much anguish as desired. :) Its a great leg conditioner, and great for side kicks. Ah, I miss the good ole days....

10/1/2012

AM and PM rehab at home, 30 minutes each session.

Worked on back kicks, standing with a footstool about a foot and a half tall behind me, working on getting the chamber up above the stool before kicking out.