• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

10/20

abs

chest

worked defensive positioning from moung and side control.

mount escapes.

20 min freeroll

30minute boxing

got mouthpiece knocked out by new kid, way to go grasshopper!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, the joys of the new kid...

10/21

Drilled takedown work, double and singles. Moved on to takedowns from pummel and clinch. Finished with running the pipe from double and countering the sprawl.

15 min of open guard v. pass

20 min free roll

Ahh, the joys of the new kid...

10/21

Drilled takedown work, double and singles. Moved on to takedowns from pummel and clinch. Finished with running the pipe from double and countering the sprawl.

15 min of open guard v. pass

20 min free roll

To his credit, i was trying to exhaust him while sparring, so he was exhausted, pressured and punch drunk. So i can't blame him for throwing a bit hard.

10/24

15 mins of rounds of pummel to takedown position

Drilled guard to high guard transition. Worked armbar from there. Move to omo. Finished with escape for omo and a counter to rear naked.

45 min of free rolling.

Tonight was one of those nights I love about jits. We're talking about the omo plata and the rear naked choke. Two very well documented positions that I use often. Tonight I learned more about each. On the omo we worked an escape that just made me feel stupid that I hadn't realized it and on the RNC we discussed methods of implementing it that made it much more effective. So, with a few minutes of instruction and some reps, I just made two aspects of my game better. Like, way better. Last week, I was working with another purple that had just come back from a Rickson Gracie seminar who showed me some detail on the upa escape from mount that totally changed the percentage I hit with it. I know, we've all seen it since UFC1.

That's part of the beauty of jits to me. And to a certain degree probably all martial arts. It's in the details. Don't show me the newest super cool move from Brazil (at least not first), show me how to make what I have work more. Probably like it is supposed to. That's the magic of it.

Super cool night. Now, I will step off my soapbox and go off to ice my eye where a wayward heel left a mark during free roll.

TG, remember that upa escape and bring it down to us next month!!!

10/25

Blasted right into multiple attacker drill until exhaustion.

Armed and unarmed attack and defend work focusing mainly on white and yellow belt techniques.

5 rounds freesparring

20min freeroll.

I did my first day of P90 today. It doesn't look intense when you're sitting on your couch previewing it, but for someone who's out of shape, it was a struggle.

I did the Cardio/Abs section today, which is basically 35 minutes of cardio (including "Power Yoga", which was interesting and probably the most challenging part) followed by "Abs 100" which is 10 ab exercises that you do 10 reps each for (hence the 100).

I had to pause it once or twice to get a drink and suck some air (I'm not use to exercising and doing it at high altitude is even worse), but I got through it. My body feels a litle jelly-like right now.

I'm going to work some kata later (nothing damanding as I'm guessing I'll still feel a little like jelly by then) and probably just work on remembering the sequences and techniques today.

Tomorrow's the circuit training/strength part. I'm a little nervous, but also happy. I've always been much better at strength training than cardio.