• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

12-13-2010

Afternoon

DT club: 2:00 - 3:30pm. Reviewed some Academy cuffing techniques, and also played around with some rigid cuffs and quick cuffing techniques for them. Very nice, and I need to talk to the Sheriff about using some of them. We also did some grappling for just a short while, reviewing getting into a Kimura, I believe, from the bottom.

Some of the newer police officers in one of the smaller towns in our county also showed up, and demonstrated a bit of what they called Koga (??). It was, different, I guess, and wasn't too sure what to think of it. Some of the guys pointed out, and I noticed as well, that if you are going to be searching someone like that, then its probably just as well to have them in cuffs first, and forget the chances you'd have to take doing it the way they showed. Any other LEO's have experience with Koga?

Evening

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00pm. Good class, basics still kicking my butt. Got to do some forms review, which is what Monday's are slated for, and its helping me out quite a bit. Its also building my leg strength back up. I need to start doing some bag drills, too.

12-14-2010

Weights: pull day:

Lat pull-down: 130x10, 140x8, 150x6

Seated row: 120x10, 130x8, 140x7

Iso pull-down: 45x8, 55x10, 65x10

Lat pull-over: 70x10, 80x10, 90x8

Bent-over rows: 45x10, 70x10, 80x8

Upright rows: 70x10, 75x8, 80x6

One-arm dumbell rows: 45x10, 50x8, 55x6

Abs

Dumbell side bends: 30x10, 35x10, 40x10

Ab coaster: 20x10, 10, 10[/b]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12/13

Drilled open guard passing. Moved on to omo plata from half butterfly. Transitioned to triangle from there.

6, 2 min rounds of open guard v. pass

45 min free roll.

12/14

1 mile run

conditioning per crossfit today

bushido, I've never heard of Koga. Is it specifically LEO related?

As to the rigid cuffs, I feel they have pluses and minuses. On the up side, they afford alot of control once they are on. That's their biggest strength. Plus, from a text book cuffing situation they line up pretty well.

On the down side, they don't move around while you're trying to cuff some dude who's fighthing like crazy to keep his hands free. The chain lets you rotate around get them on from odd positions. In addition, they can be a bit uncomfortable for the bad guy.

I know, not a major issue, but I'd rather keep a border line guy happy rather than have him kick my back window out. Granted, you get to charge him up from there, but it's a hassle turning your car in and doing the paperwork.

I think there are alot more cuff specific controls for the rigid cuffs than chain, again due to their structure they lend themselves well. Be aware too that due to the shortened sturcture, bigger guys might have a harder time fitting in them. The chain gives you a bit more room to work with in the back.

Either one is fine, just be aware of the pros and cons.

Fill me in on this koga.

excuse me groinstrike, but I have never heard of using a snorkel while riding an excercise bike.

does it somehow increase your lung capacity?

what are the benefits of it?

thank you.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

using a snorkel while training, decreases the amount of oxygen that your lungs recieve. Your muscles adapt to functioning without as much oxygen during exercise. This way when you exercise without a snorkel your muscels are recieving much more oxygen than they are accustomed to getting, and this greatly increases your endurance. During this your nose is plugged as well. I first saw this technique used by Vanderlei Silva during a training camp and im a believer. This is my second regiment using a snorkel, the first was this past August just before going to Vegas for 3 days. I was trying to get ready for the altitude change while working out. Worked out two whole days as Xtreme Couture and it was the most awesome thing i have ever experienced. All thanks to the snorkel.

12/16

Just Sensei and myself tonight, it was good to 1 on 1 quality instruction and training tonight.

30 minute snorkel circuit consisting of:

Shoulder exercises with dumbells

Weighted shadow boxing

Mountain climbers

assorted abdominal exerscises

pushups

through and backs

Moved on the hitting focus pads until exhaustion.

Tonight we worked different attack and defend scenarious with guns, blades, and clubs. We really tried to focus on more flowing movement in our disarms and redirects. We mixed together flowing movement from aikido and aiki jujitsu, with striking movements from Krav Maga. Fun was had by all.

12/16

BJJ nite:

Drilled full butterfly guard sweep followed by butterfly guard pass. Finished with omo from half butterfly.

6, 2 min rounds of butterfly v. pass.

20 min free roll

12/17

1.25 mile run

core work

I'm officially calling an end to my run up to competition workout trial. It's been on around 6 weeks and worked really well. I also found this program to be hihgly adapatable and was able to work it around injuries I was nursing. So, back to being a bit more lazy for a bit. No need to do the extra work until around the first part of March!