• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

yesterday-

No power meant free roll in near total dark. Focus was on breathing, balance, and relaxing. Feeling the movements rather than fighting for them. About 60 min.

today-

BJJ:

Drilled over omo plata from spider guard transition and then two variations of a sweep from there. Finished with a sweep from the omo to an armbar.

Free roll for 40 min. One 4 min round at competition pace and intenstiy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

BJJ nite:

Guard passing with a scarf type movement. Moveing to clinch.

30 min free roll

I'll bet grappling in near-darkness was an interesting time.

I had things going great...running was good, getting more Aikido time in, and at least one TKD class a week...then, I get sick. Now climbing a flight of stairs takes the wind out of me.

6-22-10

Range today; qualified with the shotgun and rifle. First time qualifying with the rifle, so I was pleased.

Yeah, it's good for relaxing and getting the feel.

Shoot days are always good. I like it any time I get to the range. Glad to hear you guys have patrol rifles. It's a program that everyone should have at this point.

today-

Knife work for 40 min. Attack and defend drills progressively more "live". Finished by drilling knife to knife work.

Free roll for 30.

today-

BJJ nite:

Drilled over open guard passes, move to side and work thru arm bar to triangle series. Worked a sweep off of triangle counter as well.

40 min free roll.

Glad to hear you guys have patrol rifles. It's a program that everyone should have at this point.

I enjoyed shooting the rifle, too. Not all the guys on the department carry one, though, which is ok, because it left one for me. :D

I'm really surprised that the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC) hasn't made the jump to patrol rifle as part of the basic. Right now they do pistol and shotgun, but the shotgun is just referred to as "familiarization," as qualifying with it isn't a requirement to graduate. I'm guessing it has to do with the cost of getting rifles...

Out of curiosity, when shooting rifle and shotgun, do you take more of a "hunter's" stance when shooting, or the more-frontal "combat" stance? At the academy, we trained the combat stance for shotgun, which was essentially the same as our pistol stance, with weight forward on the bals of the feet, shoulders foward of the butt. I was using the combat stance, because I had little experience with the shotgun, and I shot pretty well with it. I did the same with the rifle. But, we've got some guys who have hunted for years on the department who like the hunter's tance, and they don't like change much, either, from what I can tell, and were trying to push that on me. One of the guys, though, that had taken the patrol rifle class, did use the combat stance, and recommened it to me.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the combat stance.

I work out of what you call a combat stance most all of the time for everything. I shoot pistol there, shotgun and rifle. That way you're not trying to drill different body mechanics. Heck, my unarmed stance is pretty much there as well.

For me, it's frontal, knees bent and weight forward. Feet shoulder width apart and my support side one back about half a step. By keeping frontal, you present the bulk of your body armor to them and put the trauma plate center mass. That way you avoid exposing the soft and unarmored sides and armpit.

If I have a pistol in hand, both elbows are at lock out. For long gun it's the typical postures there with the elbow tucked tight. That way I don't bounce them off door jambs and such.

I think given what we do your combat stance is the best option. However, if guys can hit what they are shooting at that's the biggest point. For new people, back when I was a range officer, I'd try to press the frontal position on them.

Personally, I carry a rifle but I still keep a shotgun in my car. It has uses where it just fits. But my go to long gun is the rifle. If someone is not out of a military background, unless you're dept. is really focused on training with the rifle, I'd suggest doing your best to get out to a carbine school of such. There are some considerations with them.

If you're going to trick one out, don't get too carried away until you've shot a base model for a bit. Some stuff is nice ( a good stock) and alot is just to preference and may or may not improve function (vertical foregrips).

Optics are the hot thing now, but check around and sight thru a few. Personally, I put an EOTech on mine and then removed it in favor of a rear post instead. It was just preference, and a total fogging of the lenses during a humid rainstorm that wouldn't let me see thru the optic to get sight alignment. But they do let you engage fast in a CQB setting. Still, I was never as confident with them as I am with iron. Maybe it's just the knuckle dragger in me.

Sorry, got off the stance topic a bit there. I get excited when one starts talking guns and mechanics and such.

today-

Drilled over mount retention and mount escape as well as triangle from groin and double under guard pass.

4, 1 min rounds of escape/hold mount

4, 1 m in rounds of triangle/double under pass

30 min free roll