• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

KG- go you is right! Nice work with the 9+ miles.

Thanks!!! I was ready to collapse afterward, but it was a great feeling to have accomplished that. I've never tried to go that far, but wanted to see just how far I could make it.

After yesterday, I probably should have taken today off, but I was still in the mood to do something so I took it easier than yesterday and did a 2 mile run earlier and am going to work on some katas at a relaxed pace this evening.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday-

Most of the day was taken up by training at the dept. Room entry, active shooter training with force on force. Ok, so team movement ect, really doesn't fall into the sd catagory but force on force is really good regardless. Getting used to puttin rounds on the bad guy while he's shooting back is important no matter the context.

BJJ nite:

Drilled over gi choke fromside mount series followed by an arm bar option. 40 min free roll to finish.

today-

Drilled high guard work. Wrist lock to shoulder crank to arm bar series. Also did some work on taking back from the guard and sweep from there.

3, 2 min rounds of escape v. submission work from the guard.

45 min of free roll.

Kinda crazy the last couple of weeks. Decided I didn't need the pressure of a published schedule to keep me in line. Stayed busy.

My test is getting closer so I'll be finishing my spell in the weight room in a couple of weeks until May. This gives me just enough time to try a 3 day a week two routine rotation I'm thinking of using once the test is done. Right now its still low weight high rep but from May through August 5 rep sets will become the order of the day. I"d rather do that 3 on 4 off and see if I can't make progress that way. Four days a week is fun and stuff but even at low weights it's riding pretty close to overtraining territory.

Wanna back off the lat work and look at tossing dips into the mix. Here's what the basic weight regime is going to look like for the next six months or so. Yes, sans reps it's mostly Rippetoe.

Workout 1

squats (3x12-15)

bench press (3x12-15)

deadlift (3x12-15)

dips (2x12-15)

inclined crunches (4x12-16)

Workout 2

squats (3x12-15)

overhead press (3x12-15)

power cleans (3x12-15)

pull-ups (3x12-15)

inclined crunches (4x12-16)

I'll probably be losing the crunches once I go low rep because I'll need the time for rest between sets on the other four exercises.

Next Week...

Saturday AM

VO2Max Test

Dips (?x12-15)

Karate - teaching

Medball 400 @ 12 lbs

Sunday - Rest

Monday AM

Workout 1

Tuesday AM

Karate - 30 min Kata/Kihon Self Training

MedBall 400 @ 12lbs

Tuesday PM

Cardio - Stationary Bike - 30 min Intervals from 70% to 90% Maximum Heart Rate

Karate - teaching

Wednesday AM

Workout 2

Thursday AM

Karate - 30 min Kata/Kihon Self Training

MedBall 400 @ 12lbs

Thursday PM

Cardio - Stationary Bike - 45 min - Constant @ 83% Maximum Heart Rate(ie 77.5% Heart Rate Reserve)

Friday AM

Workout 1

Saturday

VO2Max Test

Karate - 1 hr Black Belt Class

Karate - 1 1/2 hr Yellow and Up

MedBall 200 @ 12 lbs

Edited by todome

we all have our moments

today-

3. 5 mile run

Drilled on side mount escapes

6, 2 min rounds of escaping side/ holing side and advancing position

5, 3 min rounds of free roll

2, 3 min rounds of sparring

2, 3 min rounds of sparring to ground w/ strikes

today-

BJJ:

Drilled over passing the butterfly guard. Went on to establishing a side mount series.

35 min free roll.

today-

1/2 mile warm up on the treadmill

back/bis/forearms

abs

It's time to start thinking about my weight class for a tourny next month. If I go at 159.9 I'm right there at about 161 as of a weight in this morning. Easy.

However, I could go in at 149.9, with weigh ins in the night before I could make it nd get back up to feeling good prior to the matchs.

Still, that stinks. I hate cuttng weigh. Hate it. I like food. I could whine for a while, but I'll just settle for buckling down and deciding within the next day or two.

today-

4 mile run

chest/abs

10 m in cool down w/ hip drills and work on Boomer.

Started tabata intervals with the weights today.