• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday-

BJJ nite:

Drilled on transition from side to full mount. Also worked taking back movement from his escape work.

Did rounds of maintaining side mount and advancing position. Partner made efforts to escape. No submissions, movement only. Did part of the rounds with eyes closed.

Free roll for 60 min.

Cauliflower ear is in full swing this morning. I've had a bit of a case of it for a week or so. But it really exploded last night. Probabily have to have it drained if I want to keep my wife happy. Looks like it'll be headgear for a while.

Completed the 400 rep version of the Tar Heels med ball routine for the first time using the 10 pounder. Took a little less than 25 minutes. Time's a factor so I'll probably alternate it with doing 200 reps with the 12 pounder.

Scaling back the cardio to three times a week targeting 1000 calories per week. That's a little more than half my current cardio schedule so I'm thinking this will probably maintain my VO2Max at 54.0 ml/kg/min This will allow me to concentrate a bit more on kihon and kata in the mornings since the test is only three months away and makes for a logical season peak this year. The two hours a week of cardio for 4 months was definitely worth it, though. I can finally do Kanku Dai full out without worrying about sucking wind or finishing on jelly legs for a change.

After the nidan test I'll probably move on to about five months of strength training with cardio and self-training in maintenance mode, if I self train much at all. I find that by the summer I'm ready to put the gi away much of the time so these weary old bones have a chance to mend at the kinks.

In the meantime I've got a half hour 4 exercise x3 sets power routine I'm trying to do twice a week on the days I don't do the Tar Heels workout. Between that, class, less cardio and more self training I don't think less time on the bike is going to show up on the waistline. Much.

we all have our moments

Hey todome, whats that workout like? any good?

I have seen it before and have been thinking about investing in a medicine ball for it. Don't really get that much gym or training time nowadays and want to keep my strength up.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think it's really good. There's lots of movement which I find make a good compliment to how the core is used in karate. It seems to cover the full spectrum of muscles involved in core movement and control. The circuit seems very well arranged so you're more or less supersetting so no one muscle group burns out before the other. At the same time it does so without losing focus so the core and the muscles around it get their share of focus so nothing is underworked either. I think its a good balanced workout. There's a nice 'tired all over' feeling waiting at the end of the circuit.

I'm just discovering it recently but I like medicine ball work. I'm using it for ballistic power work as well, doing slams and jumps and stuff you can't do with ordinary weights because throwing dumbells doesn't make you popular. In fact if by strength you mean power (maximum strength in minimum time) and asked me to choose between weights and a med ball I'd have to say that these days I'd pick the medicine ball.

we all have our moments

Thanks. I may have to have a go at it. It doesn't look like it needs a lot of space either which is good... Just need to decide what weight of ball to get.

In fact if by strength you mean power (maximum strength in minimum time)...
I guess I mean that.. I basically just want to maintain my core strength, possibly improve it, and just be doing something. My problem right now is that I only get to do TKD once a fortnight, can't afford the gym (student budget), and really only have my room to workout in atm.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

today-

am-

BJJ:

Worked on passing the butterfly guard followev by movement to mount from side by passing foot. Finished with americana submission.

Free roll for 50 min.

Got the ear drained today. It looks more normal, here's hoping that the tape and compression take.

pm-

back/bis

today-

3 mile run, agian, brabing the cold. This is ridiculous.

legs/shoulders, lots of kettlebell work

Cool down with shrimping and hip drills, crush work over a swiss ball.

Now I just have to pretend that the above off set all the calories that I consumed and drank during the Super Bowl. Back on the normal diet tomorrow.

Tonight, 1:30 training at dojo.

10mins. comprehensive stretch.

Kihon (basics) for 1 hour straight including high intensity stances, kicks, punches and blocks.

~20 minutes intensive non-stop kata. Ran over time, so cool down was me running to catch the bus.

:lol: