• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

You inspire me, Bushido Man. Last night I skipped class in order to do my taxes. Tomorrow night is grappling and I just received my new Fairtex MMA gloves today:

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Fairtex-Ultimate-NHB-Gloves-with-Thumb-p/ftx-1008.htm

They are sweet. I can't wait to try them out. :brow:

Thanks, Baron. :karate:

Have fun with them new gloves!! :brow:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I rolled for an hour straight with a big, strong guy with plenty of experience. He outweighs me by 50 lbs. Even though he was careful, nice, and instructed me, he rolled me around like a pretzel. It was pretty humbling. We practiced some basic moves and reverses, shrimping out to the side, scissor rolls, etc. I am bruised and beat up.

Grappling's great. And it can suck.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

3-28-07

Conditioning:

Sledgehammers: 3x1:30, 1 min. rest Worked these really hard today, and it felt great. I pushed myself through to finish strong each time.

Steppers: 3x30 sec, 1 min. rest

Jump rope: 3x1 min. Getting better, little by little.

Punch-outs: 3x30 sec, 1 min. rest. I had an interesting insight while punching the bag today. I had read some stuff by Teri Tom on JKDs straight lead punch, and how the strike is performed with the last 3 knuckles, and done vertically. Well, as I was punching out the bag, I thought I would try it that way. I noticed that there was a lot of "back up," so to speak; I felt like I had a lot behind those punches. I even did the hooks like that as well. They felt very strong, and I liked the way it felt.

Technique work:

Reverse cable punches: 50x10, 60x10, 70x10 In front stance. Feels nice!

Scissor kicks on floor: 20 each way.

2 steps, jump and scissor chamber: 5 each way.

Scissor kick on bags: 10-15 each way. I had a friend hold a Blaster bag for one side of the technique, while I tried to kick a standing bag with the other technique. I was getting better at getting it on the right side (i.e., right side does side kick, left does twist kick), and I think I might get one board on each side, but it is not as high or flexible as I want it to be, yet. Doing the left leg side kick, I was landing the side kick first, and then the twist kick would go into the Blaster bag. That felt funny, and gave a little tweak on the olbique muscle. I am ok, though. All in all, I guess I am improving. I am just impatient, though. :D

From 5:30 - 6:00, I taught Orientation again. From 6:00 - 6:30, we had around 8 people Test. I was the running the floor for the testing, which I do quite often, and isn't very hard to do. I would like for the position to be a bit more involved, but that is something I can address when I run my own school (if ever).

I am just impatient, though.

I know what you mean...lol...I am often impatient in my own training...

Tuesday the 27th

5 hours of Kenpo training..

Wednesday the 28th

Neuromuscular Efficiency Development

N.E.D

Neutral Position

• Side Kick 2x1min

• Straight Kick 2x1min

• Hook Kick 2x1min

D.R.P / Deceptive Reference Posture

• Side Kick 1min

• Straight Kick 1min

• Hook Kick 1min

Repetitive Method

D.R.P / Deceptive Reference Posture

• Side Kick 3x15

• Straight Kick 3x15

• Hook Kick 3x15

• Knee 3x10

- Use various Random Steps

F.R.P / Fighting Reference Posture

• Side Kick 3x15

• Straight Kick 3x15

• Hook Kick 3x15

• Heel Kick 2x15

• Oblique Kick 2x10

• Knee 2x10

Speed Development

Neutral Position

• Side Kick 4x5

• Straight Kick 4x5

• Hook Kick 4x5

F.R.P / Fighting Reference Posture

• Side Kick 4x5

• Straight Kick 4x5

• Hook Kick 4x5

3-29-07

I didn't do much today. I did stretch out for 10 minutes this evening before getting ready to go to work. I sat on the floor in a seated split, and stretched left, right, and forward at various intervals. I stretched out my arms and chest as well.

Today I worked out at the gym in the rec center.

DB press: 35x10, 40x8, 45x6, 30x12

Cable crossover chest: 60x10

Cable crossover high curls: 50x10

Cable lat pulldown: 80x12, 100x10, 60x12

Machine squat: 100x5 (knees hurt)

Hack squat: 180x5

DB tarzan curls: 30x10

Cable tricep pushdown: 60x5, 80x10x2

Cable curls: 60x10x2

Cable row: 80x10, 100x10

Ab machine: 80x10

Decline situps: 40

Sitting DB curls: 30x10

10 min of cool-down stretching.

Spring Break training today:

Layback downs after waking: 3x10 min

Corona lifts: 3

Lap swimming observation of others: 2

Vodka tonic liver massage: 3

:D

Spring Break training today:

Layback downs after waking: 3x10 min

Corona lifts: 3

Lap swimming observation of others: 2

Vodka tonic liver massage: 3

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't overtrain there, Baron!

4-2-07

Today was a messed up day, because I had to go to work at 3:00 AM this morning until 7:00 AM. So, I came home and slept, because I had to go back to work at 8:00 PM tonight. But, I did do a little.

I taught Orientation from 5:30 - 6:00 again today, and it went well. I was teaching the little ones to kick, so it was fun. Before the Orientation, I did about 10 minutes of shadowboxing in front of the mirror, working on slipping, straight leads, and ducking/bobbing/weaving. I also did some low roundhouse kicks, trying to get the feel of turning the hips over, for lots of damage. Just moving like that, I learned some things about my body. Like, it doesn't like bobbing and weaving. :D

I learned some things about my body. Like, it doesn't like bobbing and weaving.

Me too! I am way too linear. As a lefty, when I do straight lead, I feel like my right cross power punch is a weak little thing. My round kick is better since my preferred right leg becomes my back leg, but it just does not feel natural. I switch to straight left lead when I get tired, but I prefer leading with my right jab. I still don't duck, bob, or weave enough. (Or maybe well enough.) :)

I learned some things about my body. Like, it doesn't like bobbing and weaving.

Me too! I am way too linear. As a lefty, when I do straight lead, I feel like my right cross power punch is a weak little thing. My round kick is better since my preferred right leg becomes my back leg, but it just does not feel natural. I switch to straight left lead when I get tired, but I prefer leading with my right jab. I still don't duck, bob, or weave enough. (Or maybe well enough.) :)

I guess that is why we keep at it, huh? :karate:

I ordered a book on boxing today, and I am excited to see what it will offer me on that stuff.