• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

today-

BJJ nite:

Drilled passes from open guard while we're standing. Worked a series of three options. Drilled then with options to either take far side armbar or slide to side control depending on one of two actions given by the partner.

Free roll for 45 min. I was able to use some of the half guard series that was new to me we worked last week and tried my hand at the new passes of the night.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do feel like I've quickly made substantial progress. The coaches are great and I've really been able to break things down and get into the fine points of it.

Pure BJJ is much more in depth than covering it for MMA. It's also, my opinion alone here, superior to the shootfighting I'd done before in regards to ground work.

I've really gotten into it. The hardest part has been to slow things down and really get precise with everything, but the effort is paying off. I've also spent more time doing it during my class time. With another comp coming up it's been easy to justify. But I'm defiantly putting alot of focus into it right now.

But it's going really well. Thanks.

Friday-

two sessions:

1st-

30 min of takedowns from standing. Focused on breaking down the double leg and then the high single.

15 min. putting them to work in limited engagement sparring for takedown.

You tend to land in half guard sometimes after these, so then we drilled a half guard offensive series for 15 min.

Finished with 45 min of free roll.

2nd-

Drilled side control postures and transition work.

45 min of free roll.

Sat-

Sat on a testing board for brown belts in my primary art. I ran the focus mitt section of the test. Got to play for sparring, weapons sparring (knife and club), and spontaneous attack/defend drills.

I really got to try the knife scheme I'd been working on against some good guys and it went well. Generated some good intrest.

Finished with rounds of free roll to exhaustion. Did find time to drill a new guard attack that I learned as well as sweeps from the seated position and open guard.

8-20-09

Got 5 minutes of doing shome akitaiso, then got interrupted.

8-21-09

Warm-up: Bike with dog 1 mile, 5 minute stretch.

Leg press: 255x20x3

Assisted pull-ups: 10, 7 max sets.

Dead lift: 205x5x3

Crunches: 4x25

Lat pull-down: 110x15x3

Lunges: 3x10

Dumbell row: 35x10x3

Dumbell curls: 25x10x3

Bar curls: 70x10x3

8-22-09

Ex. bike: 7 miles

Walk: 12 minutes

8-23-09

Bike 1 mile with dog, stretched out legs.

8-24-09

Bench press: 165x10, 175x8, 185x6, 195x4, 215x2, 235x1. I may go up on the early sets.

Crunches: 4x25

Sit-ups: 20, 15. I used less foot brace on these today.

Push-ups: 30, 25, max sets. I don't seem to be making gains here.

Dumbell military press: 30x15x3

Dips: 10, 8 max sets.

BJJ nite:

Worked out of the open guard posture. Really drille specifics on it's positioning. Followed that with sweep from there and transitioned into taking back.

Free roll for 45 min at end of class. Spent time working the above in free roll. Had good success, and found that it was a good in series with a half guard offense.

today-

2.5 mile run

chest/tris- light

10 min on Boomer repping the open guard movements from last night.

8-25-09

Weights

Leg press: 370x10x3

Assisted pull-ups: 9, 7, 6, max sets.

Lunges: 25x10x3

Bar curls: 70x10x3

Calf raises: 3x15

Stretch: 10 minutes

MA Session

TKD: 3:30 - 3:50. Worked on black belt forms. Se-Jong x 2, Gae-Baek x 2, Po-Eun x 2, Kwang-Gae x 2.

Defensive Tactics: 4:00 - 4:50. Worked on some spontaneous knife defense, against underhand stabs, overhead stabs, and slashes. This was a really good session. We then did some kick exchange exercises, and some low line kicks.

My DT partner made an interesting comment, about doing some techniques differently, or approaching a drill that is different than something we do in sparring in TKD class. He said "I don't want to mess up your TKD..." and I told him that wouldn't happen. I said, "why do you think I take TKD, anyways? Its so I can apply this stuff."

today-

2.5 mile run

light chest/tris

Long gun shoot at the range. Did the qualification with rifle and shotgun as well as the less lethal. Worked shotgun manipulation drills for about 50 rounds as well.