• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

7-24-09

Morning session

Mile bike ride to run the dog. He always starts out blasting, but gasses about the last half of the mile.

Combat Hapkido: 8:35 - 9:35.

Trapping application techniques: Same side/outside - cross side/outside; same side/inside - cross side/inside...attacker punching, trapping and striking.

Stringing techniques, two non-curriculum techniques (drilled for a while), finished with bits and pieces of the curriculum.

Evening session

Bag work

Dumbell punching - Jab: 3x10 each; Cross: 3x10 each

FL side thrust kick: 3x10 each leg; needs work, lots of work.

BL side thrust kick: 10 each leg.

Dumbell punching - Jab/cross combo: 3x10 each side, but not on bag.

Weights

Bench press: 155x10, 185x6, 205x3

Leg press: 230x10, 320x10, 10

Cable row: 156x8, 9 fail; 156x7, 8 fail

Biangular shoulder press: 96x10, 108x10

Lat pull-down: 120x10, 120x8, 9 fail

Straight bar curls: 55x10, 65x10

Triceps push-down: 95x10, 100x10

Ab crunch machine: 72x10x2 (ouch!)

7-25-09

1 1/4 mile bike ride with dog. Last half was like a cool down, though.

7-26-09

Mile bike ride.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7-27-09

Combat Hapkido: 8:30 - 9:30. Warmed up with trapping drills. Did some of the orange and yellow belt curriculum with a newer trainee, and did some red belt curriculum, as well. Our extra guy gave us an extra body, and doing the techniques on him gave us a great change up to doing them on the same person all the time. We had to change a few things here and there, so it was nice to have another training partner.

Weights

I started a new workout series today. It was sent around to our Police Department Officers, and one of them sent it to me. Its from a guy named Stew Smith, who has done several books and ebooks on the subject of physical training. His website is here: http://www.stewsmith.com/

So, I'll have to make some modifications here and there to the workouts, as I don't like to run because of my knees, and some of the ab exercises will be tough at the onset, but I'll give it my best go. I'm kind of looking forward to it, as it also focuses on getting in pull-ups, and even though I'll have to do assisted early on, I look foward to getting into better shape.

Warm-up: Ex. bike 1 mile, 5 minute stretch

Bench press: 155x10, 165x8, 175x6, 185x4, 205x2, 225x1

Push-ups: 30, 23, both max sets

Crunches: 25x4

1/2 sit-ups: 25 (braced my feet)

Double crunches: 20...tough time with these

Military press: 85x12, 75x15, 12...this called for 3 sets of 15. Next time, I may do dumbells instead of barbell.

Sit-ups: 30 (braced feet)

Dips: 6, 4, both max sets

Bike: 10 minutes, at 90+ rpms. Stretch afterwards.

today-

BJJ nite:

Focused on really getting pass technique down. Started with a shoulder crush pass and followed by a more complex passes. Finished with arm bar drills without the use of arms.

Free roll for 40 min in 5 min blocks. Worked at 30 percent today with the idea being to keep moving and working 100 pecent technique. No muscling things to position. Keep on opening the game and moving. It worked really well.

7-28-09

Warm-up: bike 1 mile with the dog, then a 5 minute stretch.

Leg press: 315x10x3

Australian pull-ups: 14, 11, 10...all max sets

Lunges: 3x10x10 lbs. dumbells

Dumbell curls supersets, 25, 15, 10: 10, 15, 20x2, 10, 12, 15...killers.

Calf raises: 3x15 each leg

Finished up on a Schwinn Spinner for about 5 minutes, doing short bursts of high speed, then resting. 5 minute stretch.

Little Lions class: 5:15 - 5:45. Taught this class tonight, and we worked on memorization. A few of the kids were a bit misbehaved, so I had to sit them out. For the most part, the drills we did went pretty well.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30. I got to teach this class tonight, too. I added the axe kicks into the basics that we did last week. I also added a punch/back leg side kick combination, to get some extra work on the side kick. Testing is this week, so we reviewed the forms and one-steps to prep for that, and gave each of them some little things to clean up for the test. Finished out with some sparring, and then drilling on a front thrust kick to either the kick shield or the chest protector.

today-

back/bis

4 mile run

15 min of repping pass sequence again on Boomer, really focused on placement and tightness of everything. Drilled the more complex facets of Monday nite's pass.

7-30-09

Warm-up: Bike ride/jog with the puppy dog today - stretch.

Combat Hapkido: 8:45 - 9:30. We worked on our trapping applications today, and also worked on strining together techniques from these applications. The work we have been doing on combo string really helped out here.

Bench press: 195x5x5 sets

Crunches: 25x4

1/2 sit-ups: 25

Push-ups: 28, 20..max sets

Double crunches: 25

Dumbell military press: 20x15x3

Sit-ups: 15, 15

Dips: 7, 6...max sets

Tonight

TKD testing: 6:00 - 7:00. Testing was small tonight, with 3 white belts, 3 low orange belts, and 1 high orange belt, and 1 recommended black belt testing for 1st dan. No demo tonight, either, which I was kind of glad for.

yesterday-

BJJ nite:

Drilled more work from side control series. Heavy focus on transitions and keeping weight heavy. Really hit a high side and the move from there to north/south.

Finished with rotating drill of maintaining top and trying to escape bottom. Constant motion.

Free roll or 35 min at the end.

today-

1 mile run

legs

10 min of cool down on Boomer. Linked the pass drills from earlier in week with the side control series from last night, both sides.

today-

Drilled some gi stuff from BJJ with my group. Worked through the spider guard set up and then sweep, triangle, olmo plata series from there. Really worked through to de la riva postion as well.

Free roll for 40 min. Worked on flow and relaxation while continuing to work for things.