• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

today-

BJJ night:

Worked series from side control. Start with passes to full mount followed by attack series.

40 min of free roll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

40 min of work thru the high single series. Hit 4 takedowns from the position and drilled them, along with a couple of follow ups along the way. Started from a simple arm drag, added a more complex entry from a fight scenario.

25 min of drilling from side mount, which is where you end up alot after throwing with the above movements. Passing to mount, and submission.

6, 3 min rounds of mma focus sparring.

today-

BJJ night:

Drilled on spider guard position, mainlytransitioning there from full guard. Added set up and finish with triangle choke. Spent lots of time working thru the specifics and technical neuances of the triangle.

Finished with 45 min of free roll. Worked under the idea that if you had to force a submission it "didnt count". Same with strengthing out of submission attempts or mad scrambling to avoid bad position. This heightned the techncal aspect of the game and added a "flow " to it. Helped me alot, definatly a drill I"ll use more.

today-

3, 2 min rounds on bob. Focus on boxing combos alone.

circuit with

3, 2 min rounds on ground and pound bag. Hip and movement drills only, start simple move to complex.

chest/tris/abs

2.5 mile run

Finished with 45 min of free roll. Worked under the idea that if you had to force a submission it "didnt count". Same with strengthing out of submission attempts or mad scrambling to avoid bad position. This heightned the techncal aspect of the game and added a "flow " to it. Helped me alot, definatly a drill I"ll use more.

I can see the benefit of drilling in this way. Very nice, indeed.

7-13-09

Weights

Bench press: 225x1, 205x5, 135x10 I went back to the free weight bench today, and I could tell that I hadn't done it in a while. I hate that feeling...

Cable row: 200x6, 7 fail

Military press: 125x4, 5 fail

Lat pull-down: 170x7, 8 fail

Leg extensions: 160x10

Leg curls: 220x10

Barbell curls: 90x7

Triceps press: 215x10

Gripper: 30x15x3

Treadmill: 20 minutes of walking on incline.

MA workout

Combat Hapkido: 2:00 - 3:30. We worked on stringing a set of moves together. Right now, we are just in the memorizing phase.

Afternoon Workout

Bag work: 3 rounds, just punching.

Dumbell punching - 5 pound dumbell in each hand:

Jab: 3x10 each side.

Cross: 3x10 each side.

Here, I did the the dumbell punches in between the rounds on the bag. I really liked the way my arms, back, and shoulders felt the day after this workout. The only problem is that I need a heavier bag.

7-14-09

Aikido: Aikitaisos

Shomen: 10 each side.

Irimi: 10 each side.

Tenkan: 10 each side.

Combat Hapkido: 2:00 - 3:00. Stringing techniques together again.

Good to hear you're working on stringing things together for the Combat Hapkido. That's really where I feel you start to take things and make them your own.

today-

am:

back/bis/abs

drilled cross side series and guard escapes for 10 min as cool down

pm:

mitt work-

5, 2 min rounds. Start with heavy power combo, add close to elbow range, defend vs takedown, push back to range and strike, add double leg of your own.

25 min of secondary skill work-

tuite from wrist grab, string into second position and takedown.

15 min review of cross side series from last week. 15 min drilling the addition of Babro series to end.

3, 3 min rounds of free roll.

1, 7 min round of free roll.

What is the Babro series?

7-15-09

Morning session

Combat Hapkido: 8:00 - 9:00. Started with the technique string, then moved to red belt material. We covered all of the material, moving through it at a pretty good clip. Where getting pretty close on this stuff. This rank does a lot of stuff with the Nikkyo lock, and I am picking it out in just about everything we do for this rank. At first, I was having trouble getting it right off the bat, but now, I nail it about every time.

Afternoon session

Bag work

3 rounds, just punching

Knifehand strikes: 3x10 each side, from the position we use for basics in class.

Backfist strike: 3x10 each side, like the knifehand.

Dumbell punching - 5 lbs weights.

Jab: 3x10 each side.

Cross: 3x10 each side.

It's a choke/neck crank set up from side mount or top in half guard. There is then a variant that passes the arms a slightly different way to compensate for distance.

Cool, thanks.

7-16-09

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30. We amped up basics a bit tonight. After our stretching kick exercises, we did axe kicks coming from the outside and from the inside, and the did our regular front kicks. I think that these are kicks we could benefit from doing as a regular part of basics. We also did a double jumping front kick after our regular jump front kick. A touch advanced, but nice to do at times, for working the legs and the hip flexors. Gets the heart rate going, too. We also did some of our combination techniques from a back stance, instead of transitioning to a front stance first. It wasn't too bad, but I think it was tougher on some of the lower ranks. Its a good way to still focus on the mechanics of the technique without the benefit of the stepping motion. Sparring was decent tonight, although I still feel like I am having trouble with my side stepping; I still get caught with techniques. I also ate a few crescent kicks to the head tonight, so I need get my damn hands up and keep them their. The 4th dan told me that I seem to be leaning back a bit much, like I don't have my weight going forward. I have to fix that, because I've got too much weight to not take advantage of. We finished with some kicking shield work, doing 30 second continuous drills. Nice class, my legs were sore, and I was able to do more, even with the sore groin still.