• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

5-18-09

Push-ups

28, 20, 15 with hands on blocks.

I thought I would start week 5 over, on the second column, but after the first set, and an attempt at the second, there was no way I was going to get through it. It doesn't seem like I have made the kinds of gains I would have hoped with this program. I don't know if I'll go back to column one of week 5, or keep trying at column two yet. We'll see.

5-19-09

Weights

Bench press: 235x5, 6 fail

Row: 200x5, 6 fail

Military press: 125x6, 7 fail

Lat pull-down: 170x5, 6 fail

Curl: 60x5, 6 fail

Triceps push-down: 180x6, 7 fail

Cable trunk twists: 80x10, 10

Knee lifts: 15, 12

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

Another day long block of DT refresher. Striking time, baton, weapon retention/takeaways. We did do a good block on long gun retention and better yet, long gun disarming. I haven't done a ton of work on this so it was time well spent.

wind sprints

1.5 mile run

chest/abs

today-

Half day testing for DT recert. So I got to rep alot of stuff. Some is more useful than others. The second half, we spent working on training methodology and curriculum development for the program.

10 k run

shoulders/delts

5-19-09

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30. Good, tiring class. I worked on some of the breath timing stuff some more, and I am learning as I go along. We did testing sparring at the end of class, which is with no pads, and the idea is to limit the contact level, and show good offense, defense, and footwork. I used some side-cutting, and I felt really good about some of the things I was able to do. Perhaps its a prelude of things to come.

5-20-09

Weights

Safety squats: 225x10, 245x5, 5

TKD Testing: 6:00 - 8:00. We opened with a bit of a demo, and then got into the testing. Testings are starting to pick up a bit, which is nice to see. For the most part, testing went well, but there were a few more hiccups than we are used to seeing at testing. I think that some of the students got a little extra nervous. One of them is ultra-nervous anyways, and another was testing for her 1st dan, so she was a bit worked up. She pushed through it, though, even after rolling her ankle while doing some forms. We also had 5 white belts test this go-around, which is nice to see, especially if they stick with it.

At the end of testing, our instructor had the black belts do some board breaking, as we still had some really sappy boards left to get rid of. I did 3 of them with my back leg round kick, and this time, I dusted them on the first try. After testing was done, the instructor said he wanted to see how much the sappy ones weighed in comparison to the ones that were a bit fresher from the lumber yard. We had some of each, and I weighed the two stacks, and the stack I broke was a pound heavier than the other stack; 5.5 lbs compared to about 6.5 lbs on the stack I broke. For what its worth, I felt pretty good about the break. It did sting a bit, and still stings a bit, but felt better than missing...:)

today-

More DT for the dept. Spent a couple of hours on ground avoidance in the High Gear armor. A couple of more on technical review of weapons retention and striking.

The second half was all curriculum planning. Bummer. On the other hand, I think I managed a knife school out of it so we'll see.

my regimen-

4.5 mile run

back/abs

3, 2 min rounds of hip work and shrimping, position followed by shots and sprawls.

It's about a week out from the NAGA, my weight is right on for where it needs to be and I'm moving well. No major training injuries or skin conditions. So far, so good.

I'm looking forward to getting done so I can get back to a more normal training routine and not just grapple training. Oh, and I want to eat too :lol:

today-

finished out a week of DT at work. Only spent a couple of hours working on physical skills. It was in the High Gear armor against assaults of different kinds and work related situations.

my regimen-

warm up roll for 10-15 min

2 min rounds of escaping and holding:

mount

knee in stomach

hooks in

guard

3, 2 min rounds of:

defending takedown

setting up takedown

grapple for takedown

5, 3 min rounds of free roll.

1, 6 min match round.

rest

incline treadmill for 1.5 miles

today-

20 min block of working mount escapes and escaping the guard.

6, 2 min rounds of free roll from knees

5, 3 min rounds of:

takedown efforts

defending the takedown

free grapple for takedown

1, 6 min match

rest

1 mile run

bis/tris/forearms

today-

7 mile run

light legs (ouch)

rest

1.25 miles on the treadmill, incline work at a slow pace

shots and sprawl on mat

I move to Korea, and I'm still looking for a dojo. I may just take up TKD again. So for now, I'm doing things on my own, and teaching my girlfriend, because she really wants to learn.

Today:

Front kick, side kick, round house kick: 200 each

verticle punches from seiuchin stance: 500

walking punches from seisan stance: 100

knuckle pushups: 75

regular pushups: 100

Additional workout: teaching my girlfriend the basics

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War