• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Glad you're getting the extra training time.

yeasterday-

3, 3 min rounds-warm up rolling at 30% for position

15 min of review from the scarf, added some related material about scrambling from there

5, 3 min rounds of free roll from knees.

Stopped early because training partner tweaked an elbow.

back/abs

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

off as far as qhysical training goes for ma's. i needed a break.

I did get to the range, zeroed my new rifle and the holo sight as well. Got maybe 100 rounds in after all that for trainng rounds ant CQB distances using he eotech.

today-

warm up for rolling

10, 2 min rounds of free roll starting from negitive position

mount

guard

side mount

scarf

hooks in

Focus on either holding good positon followed by submission, or obviously escape or reversal.

2, 3 min rounds of takedown work only

5, 3 min rounds of free roll from standing

rest

2 mile run

rest

bis/tris/forearms

The family out of town sure makes finding training time much easier :lol:

Seriously, what kind of life an I running here when my family dissapears and the only thig I can come up with to occupy my time is train? That's it, I'm heading for the TV.

Taught class today; about 3.5 hours worth. I was working on movement and various kicks, no specific focus. I rode my freight bicycle there and back, as well as a round trip to the bus station to meet the Girl for dinner and some exploring; probably 8 miles in total. Mental note, need to get the studded bike tires switched out for the summer slicks asap.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

JusticeZero,

I have been wondering about the handstand push-ups that are necessary for building the strength of Capoeira, and how you go about building up to doing a full one? I can stand on my hands to an extent, but doing a push-up is beyond me, right now. What kind of exercises do you use to build up the strength towards it?

100 Push-ups

Week 5, Day 3: 13, 13, 15, 15, 12, 12, 10, 30 = 120.

Edited by bushido_man96

Two exercises are important to that; one of the main ones is the basic au. Essentially, do a cartwheel (don't look at the ground!) which passes through a handstand position, and do it very slowly and controlled; when your feet land on the floor on the other side, they should be silent. As you build strength, sink into the au lower and lower. This is much the same as how one might build strength in their legs by practicing increasingly low stances.

At a moderate level of strength, practice going into a handstand, then lowering oneself carefully into a headstand, which builds the same muscles by using them to generate resistance even when they might not yet be able to lift the body.

A number of other exercises push power in these areas or require it as well; low footwork and a number of other movements require significant strength in this area, and thus help to develop it. I'd also like to develop ability to push into handstand from queda de rins, as it would create an extra set of transitions for me, for example; it is the same motion as a handstand pushup in essence, but one arm is drawn all the way to the hip and has the majority of the body's weight on it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

5-4-09...got a really good session in today...

Weights

Bench press: 235x5, 6 fail

Row: 190x6, 7 fail

Military press: 125x6, 7 fail

Lat pull-down: 160x8, 9 fail...move up

Machine curl: 60x5, 6 fail

Triceps push-down: 180x6, 7 fail

Safety squats: 185x8

Leg extensions: 175x7, 8 fail

Leg curls: 190x10, 11 fail

Cable trunk twist: 80x10, 10

Decline crunches: 22 lb ball x 12

Knee lifts: 15

Cardio

Bike: 5 min. @ 90 rpm; 5 @ 100; 5 @ 90; 5 @ 100; 5 @ 90; 25 minutes total. Stretch.

MA Workout

Aikdio: 9:00 - 9:10. I wanted to take time to refresh this stuff, since Aikido class is now finished for the semester. :( We went over our recent testing material, and I tried to focus on making the connection, and trying to flow a bit smoother.

TKD: 9:10 - 9:50. Worked on side cutting again today, with a bit more focus:

Partner footwoork drill: mirroring parnter with side cut motions. We did each side, side cutting and coming back to our set position. We finished with a side cut then step back instead of reseting, giving a bit more footwork. This got us warmed up a bit, moving around.

Wavemaster bag work

Footwork in front of bag: 2x10 each side, just moving around the bag.

Side cut and reverse punch (cross): 3x10 each side.

Side cut, jab/cross: 3x10 each side.

Side cut, shuffle step to back leg round kick: 3x10 each side.

Side cut, front leg round kick: 3x10 each side.

We really focused on the body position during the side cut, and using the coiled position to unleash a good reverse punch/cross, or a good back leg round kick. With the lead side techniques, we would make sure that the side cut could still allow our bodies to bring power in the techniques.

Stretch: 9:50 - 10:00

Good solid workout. Next time, we plan to do a little more bag work, and then do some sparring drills together to work the side cut more, and then into some counters.