• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

I've got a serious neck problem and it doesn't seem to be going away, so I am going to take it easy the rest of this week. I may do some cardio, but not much else. We'll see if it goes away.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer about the neck, hope that gets better.

Mon-

6 miles on the stationary bike

Tues-

12 miles on the stationary bike

2 miles on the treadmill

today-

20 min of technical work:

series from breaking guard: 1 escapes guard and take side, 2 starts escape from side, 1 counters to knee on belly, 1 arm bars from knee in, 2 escapes armbar and ends up in guard, 1 pulls armbar from guard.

Start with the first motion, add consecutivley after a few reps.

3, 1 min rounds of escaping guard drill, full resistance

15 min drills on single leg sweep and counters.

3, 3 min rounds of free roll from knee

4, 3 min rounds of free roll from feet

round robin each man, 3 rounds.

today-

sparring:

3 min rounds of-

hands

hands/feet

hands/feet/clinch

above plus to takedown x 2 rounds

20 min drilling on sweep series 1-7

5, 3 min rounds of free roll from feet

Ok, back to training. My neck problem didn't seem to go away with just rest, so I think I need more focused attention on it. So, if it hurts to train, and it hurts to not train, I decided to go with training....

4-13-09

Weights

Bench press: 225x6, 7 fail

Row: 190x6, 7 fail

Military press: 125x4, 5 fail I just can't seem to get over the hump here.

Lat pull-down: 160x7, 8 fail

Leg extensions: 145x12

Leg curls: 190x12

Machine curls: 60x6, 7 fail

Triceps push-down: 180x5, 6 fail

Decline crunches: 20, 10x22 lb ball

Cardio

Bike: 20 minutes

Martial Arts

Aikido: 9:50 - 10:00 We warmed up with technique work, doing Lapel grab Ikkyo, then cross-wrist grab Kotegaeshi, then cross-wrist grab Kokyunage. We did one on each side, then moved onto the next one, and did that for about 25 minutes. We worked on Aikitaisos (basic movements) for the next 15 minutes. This little spot helped me to gain some better understanding of some of the things we do in the classes, and I was glad we focused here a bit. For the last 30 minutes of our session, we spent 10 minutes focusing on each of the techniques listed above that are required for our testing.

Edited by bushido_man96

today-

roll for position, about 30% for 15

series from side mount- escape, counter, second escape effort, move to sweep 3, reverse, armbar. About 20 min building hte progression.

20 min drilling escape from mount and repping it.

4, 3 min rounds starting from negitive position. Today we worked out of the mount.

4, 3 min rounds from standing.

today-

6, 3 min rounds working agaisnt and armored mitt holder. Combos, defense, add takedowns, knees and elbows second round.

with

6, 3 min rounds of work on the ground and pound bag

25 min work on offense from the guard. Worked sweep 4, kimura, choke, single side weave series. Went over kimura defenses as well

6, 3 min rounds of free roll. Start from postion in the guard to capatalize on the drill work.

today-

sparring drills, mitt gloves and body armor on bad guy:

6, 3 min rounds. Start with defending punches and countering via combinations to presneted mitts. Move to add kicks to both sides of drill and clinch. Finish by adding knees and elbows in the infight and defending the takedown from the holder. Strike him down, n ot grapple.

20 min of drill work on escpaing the mount. Series from there to reversal via sweep. Mount esape, half guard, full guard, sweep 3.

4, 2 min rounds of free roll from negitive position. Today that was the mount.

4, 2 min rounds free roll from feet.

Closed out with knife work, 15 min. Project is going well. Got the opportunity to try it agaist a guy who had previous knife training and it worked out well. Left to test cutting before really starting to impliment it.