• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

What is the ball drill, tallgeese?

3-31-09

100 Push-ups

Week 5, Day 1: 17, 19, 15, 15, 25 (20) = 91.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. At the end of class, we worked on some upper body hand techniques, 3 at a time, blocking and countering. I liked the drill, and think I will do some more of it on my own.

4-1-09

Weights

Power clean & jerk: 145x5

Hang clean: 135x5

Power clean: 135x7

Dead lift: 205x10, 255x3

Cardio: Bike for 25 minutes, then a good stretch.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an older drill but one I still think teaches good movement and defense skills. The down man takes a face down postion and balls up defensively. Elbows in knees, hands on the head allowing for neck coverage. The topman does whaterver he wants to remove the down man from this postion. He can throw hooks, work dumps, whatever he wants. Where ever the down guy ends up, he has to hip over and start working back to his base.

today-

run 2.5 miles

crossfit:

5 rounds of-

30 roman chair sit ups

25 back extensions

chest/tris

Sounds good. Thanks, tallgeese.

4-2-09

TKD class: 6:15 - 7:15. Class started late because there was a Little Lions testing before. Class was huge tonight; I think we had 20 or 21 students in there. If this keeps up, we might be able to go back to a kids class, which would be kind of nice. Class went well. Basics were brief, and then the black belts spent time working with colored belts on upcoming tournament stuff and new one-steps.

I think I am going to have an issue coming up with the head instructor. He asked for a show of hands of who was going to the upcoming tournament, which is our organization's yearly tournament. My hand did not go up, and neither did the 4th dan's. He mentioned something about talking with us later on about it, because we know it comes around about the same time every year, and that we should be planning for it. We should be supporting it, going to help judge, etc.

Well, I don't care for tournaments any more, and don't feel like taking the time off of work to go. My wife isn't crazy about going, either. I also don't like going down to put up with those who don't know what's going on in the tournament, but get picked to judge anyways.

He didn't catch me after class on it, but I'm sure he will soon. I'll just tell him flat out that I don't want to go, and will not be going. Likely not for a while.

Bummer, let us know how things go with the tourney issue.

today-

2 hr. training shoot at the dept.

50 rounds of basic manips and malfunction drills

then moving and shooting, shooting from cover, and then combining the two solo and then in pairs.

finished with live fire high risk traffic stop set up.

Ended with a pretty good day over all. Good groups and respectable speed. Worked on shooting from the support hand around left sided cornering situations and barricades. Getting better, almost operational with the method for cqc situations.

after:

3 mile run

more knife work for cool down

Now that was a fun day. Even had good weather.

I'll keep my conversations with the instructor up to date here.

Man, Alex, I envy your department so much, you guys get to do a ton of firearms work. So nice, because it is a skill that really needs to be practiced, just like any other Martial Art.

I'd agree with that assment, it's pretty much an art in andd of itself. We are very lucky in our training here. Lots of time to shoot, and work on tactics as well as marksmanship.

We've got some force on force stuff in the budget this year. High end airsoft and the like. Spent time back in the acadamy using it and it's real handy. Hopfully, it comes thru and we add that to the rotation next year as well.

today-

3.5 mile run

modified crossfit:

3 rounds of-

21 pull ups

15 sumo deadlift high pulls 95 lbs.

back/bis

4-3-09

Weights

Bench press: 225x5, 6 fail

Row: 190x5, 6 fail

Military press: 125x5, 6 fail

Lat pull-down: 160x6, 7 fail

Leg extensions: 145x10

Leg curls: 190x10

Machine curls: 55x7, 8 fail

Triceps push-down: 185x5, 6 fail

Decline crunches: 2x20

Cardio: Bike for 25 minutes, then stretch.

4-4-09

Aikido class: 10:00 - 12:00. I got to work on all of the techniques that my rank gets tested on: Lapel grab Ikkyo, cross-wrist grab Kotegaeshi, and cross-wrist grab Kokyunage. I felt good with the initial introductions, and now I can work on them outside of class, and really focus on them. We also did a bokken kata that is a requirement for the 3rd kyus we have testing, and I kind of liked it. It was rather simple, but the sempai said I did a good job, especially with the strikes, and using my hips, etc. He said that I must have done something before, and I mentioned my SCA time, and all the reading up I have done on Western Swordsmanship.

4-6-09

Weights

Bench press: 225x5, 6 fail

Row: 190x5, 6 fail

Military press: 125x5, 6 fail

Lat pull-down: 160x6, 7 fail

Leg extensions: 145x10

Leg curls: 190x10

Machine curls: 55x7, 8 fail

Triceps push-down: 185x5, 6 fail

Decline crunches: 2x20

Cardio: Bike for 25 minutes, then stretch.

Aikido: 8:45 - 10:00. Focused on testing stuff.