• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Even though I had skin cancer sliced out of my face yesterday, I was planning to attend my Muay Thai class tonight to absorb by osmosis. But nooooooo - canceled for snow AGAIN! Third time!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope all is well and they got it all. :) I haven't posted in a while but have been training like a mad women. will test for black in april :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

3-7-07 Today was a decent day of working out, I felt.

Conditioning:

Sledgehammers: 3x1:30, 1 min rests.

Steppers: 3x30 sec, 1 min rests.

Jump rope: 3x1 min.

Technique work (along with Kicking Class: 6:00 - 7:00):

Reverse cable punches in front stance: 50x10, 60x10, 70x10 If anyone has access to a cable pulley weight machine, like the kind you can do cable crossovers with and such, then I highly recommend trying this out. I do a controlled punch forward, at solar plexus level, and then control the motion back to the ribs. I twist my hips into the completion of the technique, and un-twist them as the punch goes back. Really a great feeling.

Scissor kick on the floor: 25 each way.

2 steps, then jump and chamber only for scissor kick: 3x5 each side.

Jump and chamber only for scissor kick, with no steps: 3x5 each side.

Scissor kick, making contact, running between 2 standing bags: 5 each way.

Stretch kick: 3x5 each leg.

Back leg inside crescent kick: 3x5 each leg.

Back leg outside crescent kick: 3x5 each leg.

Jumping back leg front kick, followed by round kick with other leg, all in air: 2x5 each way.

Jump 360 degree side kick: 3x5 each way.

Following all of this, I had a real good stretch. And, I was tired. :D

Bushido Man, you're an animal! Were those sledgehammers Sohan's "banging on a tire" exercise?

I hope all is well and they got it all. I haven't posted in a while but have been training like a mad women. will test for black in april

Thanks, I think they did. Mohs surgery checks pretty well to see if it's all gone. Now I have two more gnarly long scars on my face - the better to intimidate my opponents! :x :lol:

Good luck on your test for black.

Bushido Man, you're an animal! Were those sledgehammers Sohan's "banging on a tire" exercise?

Thanks, Baron. :) Yep, the sledgehammers are like what Sohan described. When the weather gets more tolerable, I am going to modify the exercises to do more horizontal swinging.

3-8-07

Today, I stretched for about 20 minutes. I did sitting front splits, and then stretched to each side, and did some reverse hurdler stretches. I didn't warm up, but the stretches were gradual, and they felt good.

I also noticed today that my lower back muscles and leg muscles are kind of sore. Fortunately, I am not really experiencing any significant pain in my knees.

Well after 2 months away from Karate and the gym.... well any exercise really im going to start training again.

Wednesday back at karate, missed it so much you can't believe.

Thursday, ouch. Back hurts, legs hurt and so do my glutes.

Friday, Plan on trying to get my strength back tonight. Situps, press ups, swats and some chest and arm weights. Gonna do as many as I can.

Not the best training but can't push it to much.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Good to see you are back into it, Orion.

3-9-07

Legs

Power clean: 135x8, 155x6, 165x4

Squats: 295x8, 315x6, 335x4

Lunges: 55x5 each side, 60x5 each side, 65x4 each side

Ouch, I feel my knees now!

Reverse cable punches in front stance: 50x10, 60x10, 70x10 If anyone has access to a cable pulley weight machine, like the kind you can do cable crossovers with and such, then I highly recommend trying this out. I do a controlled punch forward, at solar plexus level, and then control the motion back to the ribs. I twist my hips into the completion of the technique, and un-twist them as the punch goes back. Really a great feeling.

You ever use the cable pulley to try to improve your flexibility? I've got access to one and just started to try to use it to improve my hip flexibility by using an ankle cuff and doing leg raises to the sides against the pull of the cable.

I do leg/glute kickbacks with an ankle cuff on my low cable. I'm not sure it improves my flexibility, though, since it tightens up my hip muscles.

You ever use the cable pulley to try to improve your flexibility? I've got access to one and just started to try to use it to improve my hip flexibility by using an ankle cuff and doing leg raises to the sides against the pull of the cable.

I would like to, but I don't really have access to anything quite like that. The only thing I have access to is the weight cable machines.

Good idea, though. :karate: