• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

sounds like a good time.

today-

8 more hours of teaching DT. Again, focused mainly on the stuff I do. More time in the suit. Had a tough group and really worked on mindset for quite a bit. Most heavily I was involved with joint locking and takedown instruction.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

3, 2 min rounds with body guard and mitt gloves. Low/high and cover work. Progress to more advanced combos integrating low shots/high coverage. Finish going back high with strikes to capatilaze on dropping of guard.

3, 2 min rounds of takedown work. Punches from tie up only to facilitate takedowns and counters. Rolled in from the low work nicely.

20 min instructional block on attacks from full mount and counters to these

3,3 min rounds free roll from standing

2-26-09

100 Push-ups

Week 4, Day 3: 23, 28, 23, 23, 33 = 130. I think I am ready for an exhaustion test again.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Before class, I worked on my 3rd dan form, focusing on some touchy spots that have been giving me fits. During sparring, I had a pretty good round with one of the 1st dans, and did some things that I don't usually do. I thought it went well.

today (well, technically yeasterday by now)-

3, 2 min rounds- combwork to body with defense, add finish high, add counter to take down

15 min takedown drills

2, 3 min rounds free take down drills with striking.

20 min instructional block, sweep series from guard.

4, 3 min rounds free roll

I'm curious, ryu, what are timing patterns? I'm unfamiliar with the term.

today-

1 mile run

legs

2-28-09

Open DT seminar: 9:00 - 12:00. This was held at the college, in the room our Aikido club typically meets in. So, no Aikido, but they plan on doing this thing at least once per month, which will be nice. We started off with one of the KHP guys showing us some cuffing methods with the rigid cuffs. I kind of like them now. Lots of good things to do with them.

We did that for about an hour, and then worked on ground fighting with the guy who does the DT course for the criminal justice majors at our college. We covered a lot of stuff, but the things I hope to work on a bit are the kimura from guard, the reverse from that position, hopefully the scissor sweep, and the arm bar. They all came from that general guard position, and all seem to work well as far as transition goes if one thing isn't there. It was a good time, and I look forward to more.

3-1-09

100 Push-ups: exhaustion test - 34. I thought I might get more than that, but oh well. It is an improvement.

Nice. I still carry chained cuffs for the versatility with bigger guys and all, but you certainly have more controlling options with the rigid ones as they hurt way more when cranking with them.

I think you'll find that you'll like the kimura for DT purposes. It allows you to protect your gun very well while executing. Same with scisor style sweeps, I'lll ususally instigate these with gun side down to help in retention. This also gives you the option of a fast switch and push to gain distance and access your weapon to engage.

today-

2, 3 min rounds of boxing, minimal gear

2, 3 min rounds of boxing, full gear, heavy go

4, 2 min rounds of sd sims vs. armored attacker all weapons on.

3, 3 min rounds of free roll from knees

3, 3 min rounds free roll from standing

10 min breakdown and drill of armbar from unusual positions on bottom.

10 min of knife work, testing and fleshing out entry componants of a knife usage defensive auto response I've been working on. At this stage of the experiment it's showing excellent potential.

10 min of knife work, testing and fleshing out entry componants of a knife usage defensive auto response I've been working on. At this stage of the experiment it's showing excellent potential.

That sounds pretty cool.