• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

30 minutes of kata training. I'm doing Seieunchin for a tournament on Saturday.

I hope your tournament went well! Please update us!

12/8/2022

Strength Training

Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 110x5, 165x3, 200x1.

And then I had to stop. Health issues are really starting to cause my problems. My head wasn't feeling quite right (Meniere's disease acting up) and as I was doing my warmup sets, I had to stop and rest after each set. The Valsalva maneuver was causing me to get lightheaded, and at one point, the room started spinning. I just couldn't continue, and it's so frustrating.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes of kata training. I'm doing Seieunchin for a tournament on Saturday.

I hope your tournament went well! Please update us!

12/8/2022

Strength Training

Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 110x5, 165x3, 200x1.

And then I had to stop. Health issues are really starting to cause my problems. My head wasn't feeling quite right (Meniere's disease acting up) and as I was doing my warmup sets, I had to stop and rest after each set. The Valsalva maneuver was causing me to get lightheaded, and at one point, the room started spinning. I just couldn't continue, and it's so frustrating.

Hopefully you manage to get the health issues sorted! The valsalva can be funny for some people - i'm sure i have read about it causing blood pressure issues (though i may be misremembering).

Anyway hope you are feeling better soon! Can quasi-relate, our entire house (myself, partner and the two kids) are all laid up with Covid at the moment which is affecting my training ability too. I know i am going to be tired for the grading on Sat but i will give it my best effort.

I will certainly do so! I plan to write up a "tournament report" when it's over.

30 minutes of general karate. I focused a lot on fundamentals. Then another 30 minutes of training with my daughter this morning. We mainly focused on her own kata for the tournament, but did save the last 10 minutes for sparring.

30 minute bike ride

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

12/14/2022

MA Training: Spent 20 minutes solo training in the house, doing very basic blocking and striking techniques. I stayed in place, either stepping forward to block or back, and then added in a counter, usually a punch. Working on getting synced up in a rhythm again.

12/13/2022

30 minutes of kata training, followed by training with my kid again.

12/14/2022

30 minute bike ride.

I might go for a walk later. It feels really nice here. Tonight, more training with the kid. She wants to nail the competition and is pushing herself to practice. Nothing that is too much for her, but it does me proud.

12/15/2022

MA Training: 1 hour.

Did a sparring class at a friend's dojo as a warm-up for the tournament this Saturday. Since leaving the dojo I was at, I don't have a lot of opportunities to spar (not that I did at the last place either, as they only spar during the informal classes and only if there are enough people). This was a good opportunity to knock off some rust.

12/16/2022

MA Training: half hour of solo training. 10 minutes of simple footwork; stepping forwards and backwards, transitioning to different stances and concentrating on making quick steps by staying low and focusing on the weight shifting. The steps were accompanied by chambering the for a kick and chambering the front or rear hand for a punch. Did forwards and backwards, single steps, lunging with front leg or crossover with the back leg. Also did some side stepping. Then spent the next 10 or so minutes adding in hand checks and finishing with either a lunge or reverse punch. Finished with some stretching.

The catalyst for this particular workout came from the pages of Tae Kwon Do, Secrets of Korean Karate, by Sihak Henry Cho. The style of sparring described in this book doesn't really correlate to the type of sparring we do at our TKD school. Our school spars using Olympic rules, but depending on the tournaments attended, it is either continuous or stop for point. Most of the students at our school spar in this continuous fashion, so I'm going to try an experiment when I finally get back to class. I like to change up the way I spar, and I do it often, sewing confusion in the other black belts I spar. In one of the last classes I was at, one student was calling out to another student, saying "that's not the way he was sparring me!" I relished in that. I'm interested in seeing how this straight-line style of sparring will work the next time I get to spar.