• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

5/20

Drilled rolling guard recovery from bottom side to attack.

30 min free roll.

PTK:

Review of drilling the abecidario and quarto cantos form. Finished with a night of flow and technical sparring.

Knocked out my annual PT test today. Flying colors. Yeah, no more burpies for 8 more months. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To hell with burpees!

5/20/2015

Strength Training

Squats: warm-ups: 45x5x3, 135x5, 155x5, 180x3; work sets: 230x5, 230x5, 230x5

Press: warm-ups: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5; work sets: 102x5, 102x5, 102x5

Power Clean: 75x3, 75x3, 75x3, 75x3, 75x3

We got our fractional plates set, and put them to use today. I am going to love them, and they will be a great help for Kendall's progression.

5/21/2015

Defensive Tactics Club: 2:30 - 4:00 pm. Reviewed and repped Americana and arm bar from the mount; we even used a grappling dummy we have now to work on the nuances of getting into position for the arm bar. Then we did our full mount reversal/guard pass to Americana/arm bar series as a mini-rolling series. Then we did a mount maintenance "game" that Royce had us do in the GRACIE training course. One guy starts in mount, and the goal of the person in mount is to try to maintain the mount as long as possible, with no striking and no submissions. The goal of the person mounted is to work a reversal, or use the elbow escape to get a knee out and one leg around. If the person on bottom succeeds, then they switch roles. After that, we touched on the elevator sweep, working off the video that Alex posted in this thread: Closed Guard to Elevator Sweep

Video:

[/url]

To hell with burpees!

We do burpee pyramids on our Saturday AM long workouts...this old guy is up to a total of 25 (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1) so far.

Been good to get back to running, up to about 22 miles/week (4 days, each run 5.5 to 6 miles). Want to be faster than I was last year, but I have to be careful to not mess up on running form and get injured. With Karate workouts the other 3 days (2 regular classes and long class on Saturdays) I don't have a down day, but so far that's been OK.

5/22

Drilled side mount escapes via far side arm attacks.

Moved into inverted guard, then to spider with Omo and Triangle attacks.

45 min free roll

To hell with burpees!

We do burpee pyramids on our Saturday AM long workouts...this old guy is up to a total of 25 (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1) so far.

Been good to get back to running, up to about 22 miles/week (4 days, each run 5.5 to 6 miles). Want to be faster than I was last year, but I have to be careful to not mess up on running form and get injured. With Karate workouts the other 3 days (2 regular classes and long class on Saturdays) I don't have a down day, but so far that's been OK.

I commend you man, on both the burpees and the running. Running has never been my cup of tea. Vomiting isn't either, so I stay away from the burpees. :lol:

5/22/2015

Strength Training

Squats: warm-ups: 45x5x3, 135x5, 155x5, 180x3; work sets: 230x5, 235x5, 235x5. Funny story here, I was rummaging around to load on weight, and had to track down the 5 pound plates. I found one, put it on the right side, but forgot to put on one the left side, for that first set. Needless to say, that first set felt noticeably heavier on the right side... :roll:

Press: warm-ups: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5; work sets: 103x5, 103x5, 103x5

Deadlifts: warm-ups: 135x5, 165x5, 195x5; work set: 295x5

Curls: 17x15, 45x15, 45x15. Done with a straight Olympic bar.

Lying Triceps Extensions: 27x15, 27x15, 27x15

We are looking to do some extra exercises, and I think next week we will do some Pendlay Rows as the last exercise.

25 May 2015.

-5min warm up.

-5min woodchopping.

-20min HIIT cardio and bodyweight circuit.

-Kettlebell circuit: Shoulder press; Clean and jerk; Swings; Alternating swings; Squats will bell racked at shoulder; leg pass, back pass.

-Arm fatigue circuit (no rest until finish): 10 knuckle pushups; 50 Chudan Tsuki; 10 knuckle pushups; 50 Jodan Uke; 10 knuckle pushups; 50 Uchi Uke; 10 knuckle pushups; 50 Gedan Barai; 10 knuckle pushups; 100 Jodan Tsuki; 10 knuckle pushups; hold arms in head guard until fatigued.

-Drilled Sanchin and Tensho kata.

-Spent about 30min on Seipai kata, drilling the nuances of the kicks and stability.

-10min freestyle kicking.

-5min stretch to warm down.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

5/25

2 a day on the holiday!

Review of escaping mount on both AM and PM classes. 30 min free roll AM, 40 min PM.

PTK- review striking mechanics and ranging angles footwork. Moved to the knife and worked slashing forms and sparring.

27 May 2015.

-90 min Kyokushin class.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."