• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/27

Drilled lasso sweep from bottom half and inverted movement to omo plata.

45 min free roll.

3/28

Worked on facing hips into the guard pass and connection during open guard.

Review with the blue belts running our Women's Only day the lesson plan material.

3/29

PTK knife forms.

3/30

Drilled Back Mount defense with Head Roll Sweep and transition to Half Guard.

35 min free roll.

PTK: Seguides form 7. Bridging breakdown.

4/1

Drilled recovery to full guard from turtle. Finish with old school armor.

40 min free roll.

PTK- catch and release seguides form. Application. Bridging review. Flow.

3/25/2015

Defensive Tactics Club: 1:30 - 3:00 pm. Put full pads on and did a bit of sparring. Working head punches and kicks.

3/26/2015

Defensive Tactics Club Special!: 12:00 - 3:00 pm. The defensive tactics club had a TACP Air Force crew come in to talk with the students, and one of their guys was a gentleman named Dean Johnston, who is their combative's instructor. He Wrestled since he was 7, did some TKD in my association with my instructor years ago, and also has some pro fighting experience, and he was a great guy to work with. In the first session, he covered some ground fundamentals, working on passing guard, and then switching and working on keeping the other in the guard. After working these, we had to compete with each other, trying to pass guard or retain guard.

In between sessions, he put on some Thai pads, and I got my first taste of Thai pad working, which was a lot of fun. He worked leg kicks on me, too, which was different, and something I will work more on defending. Here's a video of part of it that one of the club members took:

In the second session, we worked on the standing clinch and weapon retention. We worked to double underhooks and pushed the bad guy away, then drew the weapon. He also showed us a gun disarm with the pistol held to the head with the hands up. It was a good disarm, and although it was different than some I've done in the Krav Maga system, it was still a good technique, and followed the same principles. He also showed a standing Kimura for retention in the holster that finished with a takedown and control.

It was a great training session. Its always fun to learn from someone with experiences like that.

4/2

Segues forms review. Live blade.

4/3

Drilled rolling knee bar and kimura from turtle.

60 min free roll.

3/25/2015

Defensive Tactics Club: 1:30 - 3:00 pm. Put full pads on and did a bit of sparring. Working head punches and kicks.

3/26/2015

Defensive Tactics Club Special!: 12:00 - 3:00 pm. The defensive tactics club had a TACP Air Force crew come in to talk with the students, and one of their guys was a gentleman named Dean Johnston, who is their combative's instructor. He Wrestled since he was 7, did some TKD in my association with my instructor years ago, and also has some pro fighting experience, and he was a great guy to work with. In the first session, he covered some ground fundamentals, working on passing guard, and then switching and working on keeping the other in the guard. After working these, we had to compete with each other, trying to pass guard or retain guard.

In between sessions, he put on some Thai pads, and I got my first taste of Thai pad working, which was a lot of fun. He worked leg kicks on me, too, which was different, and something I will work more on defending. Here's a video of part of it that one of the club members took:

In the second session, we worked on the standing clinch and weapon retention. We worked to double underhooks and pushed the bad guy away, then drew the weapon. He also showed us a gun disarm with the pistol held to the head with the hands up. It was a good disarm, and although it was different than some I've done in the Krav Maga system, it was still a good technique, and followed the same principles. He also showed a standing Kimura for retention in the holster that finished with a takedown and control.

It was a great training session. Its always fun to learn from someone with experiences like that.

Brian, Working pads like that is an awesome way to build spontaneous response. Nice work, keep posting!

4/4

Review the week's material.

60 min free roll.

4/6

Drilled arm bar and americana from scarf after working transition to scarf from side mount.

35 min free roll.

PTK:

Review of forms and applications. Drilled bridging applications.

Flow and Distance sparring.

3/25/2015

3/26/2015

Brian, Working pads like that is an awesome way to build spontaneous response. Nice work, keep posting!

Thanks, Alex. We've been working on it more and more often, and I really enjoy it. We've also been padding up with headgear, boxing gloves, shin guards, and sparring with a bit more contact, too. This has also been rather enlightening. :D

3/30/2015

Defensive Tactics Club: 1:30 - 3:00 pm. More Thai pad work, and some self-defense review.

4/6/2015

Defensive Tactics Club: 1:00 - 3:00 pm. Did some self-defense review, then some Thai pad work. My son came along today, and I did some focus mitt work with him, too. He seemed to enjoy it, but I think he just liked playing with all the equipment more. :roll: After I held the Thai pads for one of the Wrestlers to work some striking, we padded up and sparred a bit. Some of the contact was pretty good, and I took some shots from this guy, who is a collegiate athlete and in really good shape. But, he said I had plenty in on him, too, and he enjoyed sparring with someone who was more willing to stand in and strike, where some of the other guys who aren't as experienced in striking tend to retreat a lot more.

So, since we have all this great equipment, we will be doing more and more sparring. I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of good sparring drills that can be worked from that kind equipment? Any and all suggestions will be helpful!

Me and my oldest son also started up in the weight room today.

Gym: 4:00 - 5:00 pm

Squats: 95x3x5

Press: 45x3x5

Deads: not sure how much really, but it was pretty light weight with just some training plates on it, mainly helping Kendall get the technique down.

Stretched later on.

We are following Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, so I spent time really focusing on training Kendall on the proper squat technique. There was a thick wooden staff available, so we used that as the bar to work his squats, and for his last set we put 2 1/2 lb plates on each side. We did the same thing working the press, and used the lightest bar we could find to work on dead lifts. I'm excited about being back in the gym lifting, and I hope that Kendall starts to pick up on it, too, so we can do it as a father/son thing, along with working on Wrestling. He was picking up the technique really well, and I think pretty soon we'll get into some progressive loading.