• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

10/6

Drilled maintaining mount. Finished with transitionto back mount. Sub of choice from last week from there.

30 min free roll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8/10

100 sit ups

50 pushups.

Bag work.

Punch combos.

Round-robin circuit!

5 people hold a bag for a named attack to be performed, 6th person moves one to the other doing that attack (whatever it is...) 5 mins.

Swap attacker and repeat ....

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

9 Oct 2014.

-1hr Kyokushin class.

-15min kicking drills.

-Circuits repeat for five sets, 1min rest between sets:

---Burpees with pushup and jump (x10).

---Pike walkout (x10).

---Divebomber pushups (x10).

---Pike squats (x10).

-Drilled punching combinations, 5min.

-Shadow boxing, light intensity to cool down, 5min.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

10/8

Drilled maintaining a pressure oriented mount. Finished with arm bar from modified mount.

30 min free roll.

10/10

Drilled mount to high mount. Then finished with choke then to arm bar.

20 min free roll.

PTK:

Drilled footwork and strike integration. Bridging with broken, multiple strikes. Then a review of the fluid 5 form and multiple strike form. Finished drilling application of multiple strikes and then into distance sparring with both forms.

10/11

Competition prep class in BJJ. Rounds of takedown, positional rolling, and shark tank work.

30 min free roll.

Wrestlers are tough. No doubt. I'd guess since he's throwing arm bars and triangles he's trained in jits as well. Now you have an even bigger problem on your hands :lol:

Usually, you get into this trouble by letting an arm get isolated by poor posture. Work on your posture. Then, focus on "T Rex" arms and grips on the legs. Prevention will go a long way to dealing with these sorts of things.

If you can, get some video and share. That's usually way easier to evaluate.

Thanks for the tips here, Alex. Sorry I just saw it, I've been sick. I did dig into one of the Gracie books I have, and found that where I messed up is by not blocking his hip with my arm. At least that was one problem, anyway. I plan to work on it with him when I get back to training.

9/22/2014

Defensive Tactics Club: 1:00 - 3:00 pm. Warm-up with shrimping and pummeling. Self-defense review. Then we reviewed the shrimp defense, and getting guard back from side mount along with elevator sweep. After that, we had the students in small groups, and they had to talk their way through the process of getting guard back from side mount, and the shrimp defense, while demonstrating it. This was a really good learning experience for them, and they did pretty good.

9/29/2014

Defensive Tactics Club: 1:00 - 3:00 pm. We got the opportunity today to train with a former club member who was also an All-American Wrestler at Fort Hays, and is now a professional MMA fighter out of the state of New York. His name is Andre Harrision, and the guy was a real treat to work with. Very nice guy, very humble and soft spoken. Here's a link to an article on Andre: http://combatpress.com/2014/09/ring-of-combat-champion-andre-harrison-healthy-and-ready-to-do-work/

We worked some stand-up and some ground stuff today. With stand-up, we did some stance work, hand position, and worked jabs for measure, and jab/cross combo. We did some close-in work, doing a combo of an elbow strike and a step-up knee strike. We also did a repeat jab, followed by a grab with the rear hand, followed by a back leg knee strike. From there we went to some ground work, starting by drilling a sprawl. Then he showed us what he called a Bravo choke (I think), which started from the sprawl position. Next, we went to some guard work, where if the top guy postured up to punch, we would squeeze our knees together and crunch him towards us and control them. From there we went to a Kimura, and then did a variation that started with what he called a knee shiv that worked into a triangle.

Overall, I had a great time working with this guy, and learned a lot!

11 Oct 2014.

-Hard kyokushin sparring, 10 min.

-Extended liver workout (evening).

13 Oct 2014.

-45min partnered judo practice. Throws and takedowns.

-10min tameshigiri practicing drawing and double hand double-cuts.

14 Oct 2014.

-25min high intensity cardio and bodweight circuits.

-pushups on knuckles to exhaustion.

-25min cardio/weight sandbag circuit.

-15min kicking drills.

-5min stretch to warm down.

15 Oct 2014.

-60min kyokushin class.

-Kettlebell circuits = reps each side, 45sec rest between sets, 120sec rest between exercises (25kg for first two sets of each exercises, 12kg every set after):

---Racked squat 10reps x4 sets.

---Single arm floor press 10reps each arm x4 sets.

---One arm swing 10reps each arm x4 sets.

---Batwing row 10reps each arm x4 sets.

---Single arm kneel and stand 5reps each arm x4 sets.

-Pushups to exhaustion.

-Pullups to exhaustion.

-Quick abs.