• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Back into training after a week of vacation...

Sunday: 14 mile run (long training run for half marathon)

Monday: 90 min karate class, kihon and kata

Tuesday: 5.5 mile run containing 12x400m "fast" intervals

Wednesday: 6 mile run in AM (very slow, was warm and humid out), 90 min karate class in PM, leg work

To be done:

Thursday: 7 mile run (1 slow/5 fast/1 slow)

Friday: rest day, may do some push-ups and core work

Saturday: 6 mile slow run

Looking forward to the half marathon but am also looking forward to dialing the running back to a more sane level when it's done.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/7

2hr kihon & kata

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

7/3/2014

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:10 pm. Taught again. Hit basics, lots of reps on their own forms, plus some review, one-steps, and some round robin sparring.

7:10 - 8:30 pm. Orientation with a new 10 year old student.

7/7/2014

Police Krav Maga Instructor Course: Day 1, 8:00 am - 4:15 pm. What a blast! We started out with warmups every session, and we did lots of striking today. Punching, hammerfists, palm strikes, elbows, knee strikes, A-frame kicks (front kicks of a sort, striking mainly with the bottom area of the shin), and defensive front kicks, basically a stomping push kick to an oncoming attacker. We also did some striking while kneeling, and some kicking from being on our backs, getting up tactically. The standup isn't much different from the way we get up in base in the GRACIE system. Just an extra step, getting to a knee first, then standing.

After the striking, we started putting things together. We would "attack the attacker" by moving in to strike, and work to a clinch position from the side, then striking with knees, and separating from the attacker by striking. After doing this, we went into standing choke defenses, and this clinch translated right into these defenses, as well. We covered front choke, side choke, rear choke, bar arm choke, and carotid chokes. Each move is basically the same, from different angles. These foundational concepts makes picking up the system very smooth. I've done very similar defenses for the front, side, and rear chokes in our DT club at the college, but there are just some tweaks enough to change it up.

Training is pretty intense, and a lot of fun. At the end of the day, we did what the instructor called the "zig-zag drill." There were basically two lines of "attackers," and everyone was designated an attack to perform, or was holding a bag for the defender to strike. There are 16 in our class, so there were 15 stations to get through, combining all the striking and self-defense techniques we learned today. Good fun, and I was spent. I need to seriously reconsider my outside training routine. I'm woefully out of shape.

I'm liking what I'm doing so far, and expect good things tomorrow, as well.

7/7/2014

Police Krav Maga Instructor Course: Day 1, 8:00 am - 4:15 pm. What a blast! We started out with warmups every session, and we did lots of striking today. Punching, hammerfists, palm strikes, elbows, knee strikes, A-frame kicks (front kicks of a sort, striking mainly with the bottom area of the shin), and defensive front kicks, basically a stomping push kick to an oncoming attacker. We also did some striking while kneeling, and some kicking from being on our backs, getting up tactically. The standup isn't much different from the way we get up in base in the GRACIE system. Just an extra step, getting to a knee first, then standing.

After the striking, we started putting things together. We would "attack the attacker" by moving in to strike, and work to a clinch position from the side, then striking with knees, and separating from the attacker by striking. After doing this, we went into standing choke defenses, and this clinch translated right into these defenses, as well. We covered front choke, side choke, rear choke, bar arm choke, and carotid chokes. Each move is basically the same, from different angles. These foundational concepts makes picking up the system very smooth. I've done very similar defenses for the front, side, and rear chokes in our DT club at the college, but there are just some tweaks enough to change it up.

Training is pretty intense, and a lot of fun. At the end of the day, we did what the instructor called the "zig-zag drill." There were basically two lines of "attackers," and everyone was designated an attack to perform, or was holding a bag for the defender to strike. There are 16 in our class, so there were 15 stations to get through, combining all the striking and self-defense techniques we learned today. Good fun, and I was spent. I need to seriously reconsider my outside training routine. I'm woefully out of shape.

I'm liking what I'm doing so far, and expect good things tomorrow, as well.

6 July 2014.

-Longarms training.

7 July 2014.

-25min HIIT, cardio and bodyweight.

-Kicking drills, focus on front kick and knees (15min).

-Shadow boxing (5min).

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."