• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

6/29

Drilled arm bar from guard. Armbar from open guard.

40 mi. Free roll.

Moved into Illustisimo technique and drill.

30 min sparring.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28/6

2 hr swim.

- leg streches (fyi: @ shallow end ;-) )

- kicks

- - - Kin geri

- - - mai Geri

- - - Yoko Geri

- - - chudam Mawashi

Hand/hold the side @ the deep end, do sets per leg, swap and repeat.

(Kicking under water...good core work..try it!)

:weirdlook: I'm sure a few thought I was nuts.... :weirdlook:

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

6/23/2014

TKD: 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Taught class. Basics, then forms, with black belts doing review, going over Do-Kang 1, Po Eun and Gae Baek. One-steps, then sparring. After a few rounds of sparring, I had them stay in groups and work on blocking and countering drills. I started out with them in closed stances, and blocking a front leg round kick with the arm of the same side they were being attacked. Several of the students have a bad habit of not using their left arm, and they try to reach across with their right to block a kick on the left side. After learning the block, I added an angle step with the block, going forward instead of back. Then, added in a punch to counter.

6/24/2014

Aikido: 9:00 - 10:00. I tried to do the 300 workout, but...

Shikko: 31 runs.

Push-ups: 25, sets of 11, 11, and 3.

Sit-ups: 50, sets of 10.

Jo strikes: 50

Forward rolls: 40...and this is where 300 stopped. I've been having trouble with my calf muscles, from a year-old injury from running around. When I would spring off the support foot for the forward rolls, it would cause a bit of pain in the calf. Well, on this day, my left calf just felt like it was a balloon that popped. I was done after that, and now have scheduled some physical therapy to see if I can fix this problem.

6/27/2014

Department Defensive Tactics: two sessions, 4:00 - 6:00 pm and 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Focused on GRACIE material:

1. Defense from punch.

2. etting in a clinch.

3. Takedown from behind.

After these three, I had the officers do a free-form drill where the officer would either engage, disengage, and/or hit the takedown, depending on what the bad guy did. This got them moving more, and doing more than just rote reps.

4. Mounted escape "UMPA with trap."

6. "L" arm lock from mount.

After drilling 4 and 6, I had them do a series where the officer starts on bottom, does the UMPA escape, then sets in Americana for the submission. After the suspect submits, they reverse rolls, so they keep drilling.

6/23/2014

TKD: 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Taught class. Basics, then forms, with black belts doing review, going over Do-Kang 1, Po Eun and Gae Baek. One-steps, then sparring. After a few rounds of sparring, I had them stay in groups and work on blocking and countering drills. I started out with them in closed stances, and blocking a front leg round kick with the arm of the same side they were being attacked. Several of the students have a bad habit of not using their left arm, and they try to reach across with their right to block a kick on the left side. After learning the block, I added an angle step with the block, going forward instead of back. Then, added in a punch to counter.

6/24/2014

Aikido: 9:00 - 10:00. I tried to do the 300 workout, but...

Shikko: 31 runs.

Push-ups: 25, sets of 11, 11, and 3.

Sit-ups: 50, sets of 10.

Jo strikes: 50

Forward rolls: 40...and this is where 300 stopped. I've been having trouble with my calf muscles, from a year-old injury from running around. When I would spring off the support foot for the forward rolls, it would cause a bit of pain in the calf. Well, on this day, my left calf just felt like it was a balloon that popped. I was done after that, and now have scheduled some physical therapy to see if I can fix this problem.

6/27/2014

Department Defensive Tactics: two sessions, 4:00 - 6:00 pm and 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Focused on GRACIE material:

1. Defense from punch.

2. etting in a clinch.

3. Takedown from behind.

After these three, I had the officers do a free-form drill where the officer would either engage, disengage, and/or hit the takedown, depending on what the bad guy did. This got them moving more, and doing more than just rote reps.

4. Mounted escape "UMPA with trap."

6. "L" arm lock from mount.

After drilling 4 and 6, I had them do a series where the officer starts on bottom, does the UMPA escape, then sets in Americana for the submission. After the suspect submits, they reverse rolls, so they keep drilling.

Brian, cool to see your department supporting the ground material. How is it going over with admin, and the line? Any incidents where it was used by someone not already actively involved with jits?

30/6

2hr Kata & Kihon

30/6

2hr Kata & Kihon

01/07

2 mile run!

7/1

Drilled PTK footwork. Moved onto partnered stick work. Illustisimo sparring. Finished with some carrenza.

Brian, cool to see your department supporting the ground material. How is it going over with admin, and the line? Any incidents where it was used by someone not already actively involved with jits?

Thanks, Alex. My Sheriff and Undersheriff are pretty supportive of what I have done so far. But, since I have had the MA experience in the past, they trust my judgement, which is nice to see. Our PD admin, however, won't send anyone to that certification course. The AC, who was the senior student at our TKD school for a long time, doesn't like the idea of ground fighting, and doesn't think it will work in tool belts. He also made a comment about "using a leg triangle to secure cuffing position..." I told him there were no triangles in the system. But, I've been told by the Sheriff that if I wanted to invite the PD to our trainings, they were more than welcome to come. We'll see if they do.

Fortunately, we haven't had anyone use it yet. None of our guys are jits guys, but we do have one guy who wrestled quite a few years, and he's pretty good on the ground. So in the trainings, everyone seems to be picking it up rather well, what we've covered so far.

6/30/2014

Floor Kicks:

Front kicks: 2x10 each leg.

Round kicks: 2x10 each leg.

Side kicks: 2x10 each leg.

Dyanmic stretches:

Front kicks: knee, waist, chest, head level, 10 each.

Side kicks: knee, waist, chest, head level, 10 each.

Stretch.

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00 pm. 3 blue belts today, so I did a bit of modification on the basics, each did their form three times, I made sure they got through all their one-steps, and had them spar round-robin at the end of class.