• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

3/22

Drilled review of the weeks ankle locks.

2,4 min rounds of slow roll

4,6 min rounds of normal roll. Knee still iffy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/23

am:

60 min free roll.

Pm:

spent a short time working on basic stick pattern fron the Inasanto blend and compared thosed to the Illustrismo and PTK traditions. Fascinating stuff.

Moved in drilling guard passing to side control sequence. 30 min free roll.

3/22/2014

Wrestling: I worked with Kendall 3 separate times to warm him up for matches during the district tournament, probably totaling about 20 total minutes of warmups. We did a few stand-ups, a few switches, shots/takedowns to cover, sprawls to cover, sprawls into the Iowa, and head snaps to the Iowa. We focused on moving quickly, and really warming up. He wears me out!

3/24/2014

Taught TKD: 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Basics, forms, one-steps. We have a testing this Friday, and the head instructor wanted me to really focus in on one-steps. So, basics were nothing special added, and forms were just each rank individually, for testing review; no additional forms work. Hit a lot of one-steps, so everyone got lots of practice in with a high rank.

3/24

Short am work on PTK forms. Started to realize i was a bit run down for the short sweat breaker I was doing.

3/25-3/28

Total flu breakdown. I mean like not moving, wishing I would just die sick. Bummer.

3/29

Last minute coverage for another sick instructor at the club. Starting to feel better.

Covered guard break review. Double under pass and over under pass. No free rolling.

Immediatly pass out for 3 hours upon getting home. Waaaaay more wiped out than anticipated.

3/30

Drilled some DBMA material with the knife from their DLO program. Really good stuff. Finished with some live drilling over violent knife attack.

Taught bottom side mount sweep series to top side.

Handled the days exertion way better than Sat. Still feeling it a bit, but at least I seem to be physically out of the recovery zone. Open mat tonight for sure.

Fingers crossed.

3/31

Drilled passing half guard and breaking lock down. 20 min free roll. Finally! I feel like I'm training again.

28/3

1st kyu grading!

All kata

all syllabus

all exercise

all kumite**

from 10hyu to 1st kyu.

31/3

1 hr bag work

1 hr

fights.

from touch to full knockdown.**

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

4/1

Warm up with brief double stick patterns.

Drilled PTK forms and footwork drills. Worked stick flow. Finished with knife attack patterns.

4/2

Drilled passing half guard. Review of Monday's material. Add a couple of variants.

30 min free roll. Slowly coming back.

3/31/2014

Defensive Tactics club: 2:00 - 3:00 pm. Instructed today, so I worked with the students on some striking focus pads. Worked the jab, then the cross, and then a combination. Added in a low round kick to the leg after the cross, too. Spent some time working the heavy bags with the kick.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00 pm. Taught class. We have switched to our summer schedule already, so I lose the extra half hour of class time, which really sucks. Did do the regular basics, reviewed all low rank forms, then did some slow sparring, so everyone could get more in tune with making contact to target areas and blocking.

4/2/2014

Defensive Tactics club: 2:00 - 3:00 pm. Taught from the GRACIE curriculum. Two of the jailers were at the club, plus me and one other Aikido/BJJ/DT guy was there, so I just started from the top and worked through the curriculum. We got through standing punch defenses and disengagement, into the takedown from behind, did UMPA and UMPA with swim and trap, and Americana from mount. It was also a bit less teaching, and a bit more just repping here, so it was nice. One of the female jailers is also making it to the DT club every Wednesday, which is great to see. I'm wearing off on someone at least!