• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 May 2013.

-120min Kyokushin class. Brain did not want to work with body, and I managed to stuff just about every kata...

Just getting through days like that are a win.

5/27/2013

DT/GRACIE review: 11:30-12:30 pm. Did some shrimping drills, which are great for the tummy I've found out. Also worked on take downs and take down defense, doing a guillotine with and without an arm. The take down is done with the head up on the side of the body, blocking the calves with the hands. Not quite like a blast double leg in Wrestling, but I did that a few times. I was also shown a Greco-style high-crotch take down done against a wall, showed to him by Couture.

5/28/2013

Shrimping, and stretching.

5/31

Drilled over maintaining posture in guard. Moved into hitting ankle socks from there. Topped off the review night with some triangle specific work.

40 min free roll. Focused on taking the back.

6/1

Drilled triangle set ups. Push/pull, arm trap, and from pun ch block. Then triangle from mount.

30 min free roll.

5/29/2013

Taught TKD class: 6-7pm. I did some shrimping before the class, using the longer length of the dojang floor. The carpet style mats make it a bit tougher, though. For class, I did a consolidated basics set, then went into forms review. Some of the kids definitely need more review on the low rank stuff, and next week, I'll make sure I only focus on the first few with them, so they can get them down, at least. Afterwards was one-step review, and then I had them do some drills with the paddles. I tried to focus on some kicks they could use for counters. We did some back leg round kicks, using a switch foot motion, and then moved onto spin outside crescent kicks. A few needed some tips on getting started, but they all picked them up pretty well.

6/3/2013

Gracie Combatives, Day 1: 8 am - 3 pm. What a great time! I just hope I can retain most of this info he is giving us. Royce is such a great teacher, and is so mellow and cool. He does a great job of explaining what we are working on, and doesn't use a bunch of terminology. He's also really big on going in slow motion. No need to get in a hurry, and just rep the moves nice and easy. He also makes us talk our way through the techniques, which is a great help in memory retention, and since hopefully I'll be teaching the department when I get back, it will come in very handy. I've been working on writing it down, but some of it is already slipping it seems! Anyway, a rundown of what we covered:

Punch blocks hooking the grip around the biceps, then disengaging or ducking under an arm clinching from behind. Another variation is from a shadowboxing start, stepping into clinch and outside the week side, then getting around to the back. From there is another disengate option, or a takedown by rolling back while blocking their far foot, and rolling up into a mount.

From the mount, we've worked on an Americana arm lock.

We went from being in guard, working on some reversals, and then into some options on getting out of the guard; a disengage, or a step over into mount, or standing up in base, and sweeping the leg around and getting to side control.

We also did an elbow escape (I think that's what it was), getting to guard. From there, bad guy posts hands or goes for our gun, and we went to Kimura arm lock.

We did a headlock defense where we secured the punching arm, stepped around in front, continued to spin and set down, rolling over to mount, then used the forearm and arm to frame the head, push down to get a release, then grabbed the top hand in a handshake, and worked towards the cuffing position.

I think that covers the most of what we did. There were lots of good reps, and lots of talking and explaining while doing the moves.

And 4 more days of training. How awesome!

Stretched in the evening.

Edited by bushido_man96

bushidoman, that sounds amazing!

6/3

Drilled calf compression lock and control series from back.

30 min free roll.

Alex, it was so much fun! I'm having such a good time, and learning so much.

6/4/2013

Gracie Combatives, Day 2: Did a lot of review, and then added a few new components. Did a cross hand/strong hand gun grab, that goes to the same base as the weak side grab, securing weapon and wedging forearm into the neck to try to make space and get away. From their and after a few elbow shots, we went into a standing Kimura, or rather the start of a Kimura standing that finished on the ground. It looked awkward at first, but I really liked it as I got into it more.

We did some headlock variations where the bad guy was up against a wall, but good guy was not against the wall. Then we did a variation where good guy is on the wall and the bad guy is outside it. That was a fun one, getting all wadded up with the other guy's weight on your head.

We also did an arm bar variation for control/cuffing off the headlock finish. When reaching for his hand to "shake" it, we find it is a fist instead, we bring the hand back around, secure it front below our chin, pinch the arm with our head and shoulder, put our hand on the bad guy's face, then all our weight on that bad guy's face, and then bring the leg around for the armbar.

At one point when being the bad guy, the fellow on top was having trouble with which hand pressured the face, and I mentioned that I couldn't see which hand he had, what with my face being in a precarious position. Royce asked me, "Brian, you couldn't see which hand he had?" I answered in the affirmative, and he said, "We'll fix that." Then he had me talk him through the technique, telling him to put which hand where and how, where to step, where to take down, etc. That was another learning experience, but it makes sense, because I'll have to (hopefully) be instructing others how to do it. Good stuff.

The last few minutes of the day, he had us do a drill with one person mounted on the other. Once the mounted person got a leg free, we switched positions. The mounted person was supposed to resist as much as he could, and the other person would try to start the pass or hit a sweep. That was an eye-opener, too. I had a terrible hard time trying to get a pass, but eventually would. I was rolling with an actual blue belt for this drill, and it was just so hard for me to figure out. And he would get his leg out so quick it seemed. Honestly, I did get frustrated, but he worked with me, and helped me out. I really just need mat time.

Stretch afterwards.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I even got Royce to sign one of his books for me. :D