• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

5/19

Reviewed material from Rickson seminar yesterday.

Moved on to drill knife work followed by some trapping combinations.

bushidoman, I took that video I just need to format it and I'll get you the link.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/18

Rickson Gracie seminar today! He covered some great conceptual work and taught us all principles that apply across a wide array of positions. This gave us an amazing look at his view on BJJ and let us work thru several positions, ect.

It's like a jiu jitsu bomb went off in my head. I will probably spend the next few weeks just trying to sort it all out.

Amazing.

That sounds like it was a good time. How long did the seminar last?

5/13/2013

Played about 40 minutes of one on one half basketball with Kendall. I shot a frosty .07%, and I lost, 24-22. But it was fun, and I used it as an opportunity to generally run around and work on my footwork.

Taught TKD: 6-7 pm. Did basics up to side kicks again, and then worked side kicks more and more. Did several line drills, first working on chamber, then chamber and pivot, and then adding the kick last. Then got to one-steps, did combos of kicks and punches, and then the 1 technique drill back and forth.

5/16/2013

Taser re-cert: 8-11 am. Mostly class stuff, then shot a few targets, and discussed some use of force issues and where to fit the Taser. Also considered some thoughts on transition to lethal force if needed.

Basketball with Kendall again, about 30 to 40 minutes. Lost pretty bad this time, 32-20. It was all ugly, but fun. I will add that my son travels and double dribbles to no end, giving him an unfair advantage.....

Stretched in the evening while at Kendall's Wrestling practice. He was working on some Greco/Freestyle throws with a bigger kid, and was a bit discouraged by the mismatch, but he did good, and got lots of reps in. I did a little bag work while there, too.

5/20

Drilled straight ankle lock, rolling lock and variant, and lock off a shin sweep.

Reviewed some of Rickson's material.

40 min free roll.

Brian, here is the promised link in regard to the knife work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG9I3IzsWl8

Let me know if you have any questions.

18 May 2013.

- Interval jogging (road). 15min.

20 May 2013.

-5min jog to warm up.

-Static and Active stretching (legs), 10min).

-Pull ups, 3 sets 10/8/6.

-Kicking drills, 30min.

22 May 2013.

-120min kyokushin fitness class.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

5/22

Drilled toe hold from standing. Moved on to toe hold from straight ankle lock. IBJJF compatible version and version with leg reap.

40 min free roll.

Alex, great video. Thanks for sharing that. I've added it to my youtube videos for future reference. Let me know when and where I can train with Mr. Harris, as well, please! :) Really, some good stuff, and I like all the reps, too. I can see some great training ideas with some transitions to blue guns, as well.

5/21/2013

GRACIE Combative review: 11:30-1:00 pm. Drilled body lock takedown to mount, and "airplane" to gain control. From there, we drilled an Americana arm lock, and also a straight arm bar. We moved to punch block defenses, that were in 4 stages, and at the end, where bad guy comes to side control, bring the shin across the body, and work to an elevator sweep.

5/22/2013

Taught TKD: 6-7pm. Assisted teach tonight, working with higher ranks on forms review, one-steps review, and board breaking for upcoming testing. Also had some of the students working kicks on the bags.

5/23/2013

Range: 8-11:30 am. Did our department day qualification shoot with the pistol. I shot my duty pistol, and then my personal pistol. Shot 49 out of 50 with my duty pistol, which I was pleased as punch with, and shot 47 out of 50 with my off-duty weapon, which was still good. Afterwards, we shot at targets with T-shirts and hats on, with water balloons in the heads and body. We advanced to cover and shot from there (we had the option to shoot on the advance, but I was too bouncy). We had two targets to shoot, and two people shot at a time, 3 mags of 4 rounds each. Did ok, didn't get to my last mag, but shot more than I would have liked at the 1st target. After that, we played poker. I lost, but it was a fun try.

-Rifle work. A few clips of each: AK-47 and M-16.

Managed 45/60 rounds on target at 50 metres on full auto with the AK, pretty happy with that all things considered.

24 May 2013.

-Short jog to warm up (5min).

-Active stretching, 10min.

-Pullups sets 10/7/5.

-Pushups to exhaustion.

-Kicking drills, 30min.

25 May 2013.

Antagonistic Supersets.

- 3sets x12reps alternating: Dumbbell press + Kettlebell Goblet Squats.

-30sec rest.

- 3sets x12reps alternating: Dumbbell Row + Kettlebell Swings.

-30sec rest.

- 3sets alternating: Pushups to exhaustion each set + Cable Face Pull (12reps per set).

-30sec rest.

- 3sets to exhaustion: Full Situps on decline bench, focus on down phase.

Just gearing up to do some saburi and Tameshigiri (Katana) this afternoon, and some Arnis double stick work.

5/24

2.5 hour marathon at my old school with GS and MP among others. Knife, attack and defend drills, and lots o ground work.

Awesome day guys!

27 May 2013.

-120min Kyokushin class. Brain did not want to work with body, and I managed to stuff just about every kata...