• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Squats

Overhead Press

Deads

Hey, tallgeese, just out of curiosity, are you doing a Stronglifts 5x5 routine, or something similar? I see some familiarity.

2/20/2013

Floor kicks

round kicks: 3x10, each side

Side kicks: 3x10, each side

hook kicks: 3x10, each side

light stretch.

2/21/2013

Dynamic stretching

Front leg raise, then to side, then to back. First set is knee height at 1/4 speed. Second set is waist high at 1/2 speed. Third set is shoulder height at 2/3 speed. Fourth set is head high at full speed. 12 reps for each direction. I found this setup in an issue of Totally Taekwondo Magazine.

Followed with static stretch.

2/23/2013

Dynamic stretch, static stretch.

Shoveled a ton of snow.

10 minutes of Wrestling with Kendall.

2/25/2013

Floor kicks

Round kicks: 3x10, each side.

Side kicks: 3x10, each side.

2/27/2013

Dynamic stretch: 5 sets of 12, knee, waist, chest, shoulder, head.

Static stretch.

Gae Baek walk through.

3/1/2013

Worked on balance, doing slow repeat round kicks without setting my foot down, and trying hard not to hold onto something.

10 minutes Wrestling with Kendall. Worked on takedowns, snap and spin, and switch.

3/4/2013

Taught TKD: 6:00 - 7:00. Back in the teaching rotation again. I'm supposed to be teaching an adult class, but the class was split half kids. I don't think they really understood the schedule change, but it should shake out in a few weeks. Covered a lot in basics, and forms took some time, so didn't get to sparring.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bushidoman, you are spot on. It's the 5x5 program. I've really liked it. I started ground up with it coming off my shoulder injury since it was making it a horrible effort to lift ANYTHING with the upper body. That program, in conjunction with rehab work really made a difference.

I try to vary up my lifting and conditioning from time to time, sometimes even taking extended time away from it if I have plenty of mat time.

3/4

Drilled arm bar from guard. Move to omo, triangle from omo.

15 min free roll, hard.

20 min MT work, mitts and bags.

3/6

Light day, finished up 2 day rifle course and was spent.

Short shoulder rehab.

Abs

1.25 miles on treadmill.

bushidoman, you are spot on. It's the 5x5 program. I've really liked it. I started ground up with it coming off my shoulder injury since it was making it a horrible effort to lift ANYTHING with the upper body. That program, in conjunction with rehab work really made a difference.

I thought that's what it was. Its a decent program, to be sure, and I enjoyed it. If I ever get back to lifting, I'm going to go with the Starting Strength program put out by Mark Rippetoe. Its more 3x5 than 5x5, includes the power clean/snatch, but leaves barbell rows as an assistance exercise. It also includes chin-up work, and calf/glute/ham raises if you have access to something like that.

Incidentally, what did you have done to your shoulder? I had an impingement operation done on my right, and its still sore, and the other day when I pulled my son off my shoulders, it popped quite a bit. It is also pretty sore after a class, too. Not sure what to do with it.

3/6/2013

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. A forms review class, which I liked, but there were lots of lower ranks that weren't up on their material, so it made class a bit slow going at times. One-steps, as well, white belt only.

This class is supposed to turn into a bit of a kicking class, too, if everyone can get up to snuff on their material.

3/7

15 min eyes closed flow roll work against a full resistor.

30 min hard competition rolls.

Shoulder rehab.

3/9

Drilled guard recovery from side mount. Kimura sweep from bottom side. Finish with arm bar from guard recovery to tie in to last week.

40 min free roll. Competition pace thru. Really having good luck translating technique to speed right now.

6 March 2013.

-1hr Kyokushin class (afternoon).

-Roundhouse kick circuits, heavy bag (15min).

-Shaowboxing (10min).

-2hr Kyokushin class (evening).

7 March 2013

-Stretch.

-Low and mid roundhouse kick drills (20min).

-High roundhouse kick drills, three variations (snap, follow through and downwards/brazillian), 10min.

-Shadow boxing for kicking finishers (15min).

-Kicking kata (10min).

-Stretch down.

9 March 2013.

-Drilled roundhouse kicks (10min).

-Stretch.

10 March 2013.

-Stretch - legs focus.

11 March 2013.

-Pushups to exhaustion.

-Pull ups to exhaustion.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."