• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

17 Oct 2012

-Supersets: Chin ups and squat-kicks to exhaustion.

-Stretching, leg flexibility.

-Drilled Jodan mawashi/ushiro mawashi combination, 30 min.

-Shadow boxing, 10 min.

-Trick combinations - swipe through, reverse sweep to 540 kick (i just cant seem to nail the final landing...), and, macaco from squat. 30 min.

-Abs/back sets: crunches, reverse toso raise, situps with punches.

-stretch down: back, hips and legs.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/17

Drilled side mount to mount transition. Arm bar from mount via americana trap. Chained everything together from side.

4, 2 min rounds of mount v. escape

30 min free roll. Focus on leg locks.

10/19/2012

AM therapy at the clinic - 30 minutes. Last session.

Bag Work

3 rounds of left hand only work on the bag, rounds lasting between 30 seconds and 1 minute.

BL round kick: 3x5 each leg.

BL 45 degree round kick: 2x5 each leg.

Kicks done between rounds.

10/19/2012

Afternoon Forms Workout

Songham 1 x5

Chon Ji x5

Naifanchi x5

I did these very slowly and deliberately, so as not to aggravate my injured left arm. I had to alter a few movements to save my arm, but it was good, slow, deliberate work.

So, along with this 15 form workout, I got 3 distinct movement patterns in. Songham 1 moves in a straight line l pattern, going forward, turns to go back the other way, turns again, and heads back to the start position. For the most part, the form is forward facing, with two side on stances.

Chon Ji moves in a + pattern, following a distinct block then attack movement pattern, mostly front facing, and half-facing in the back stances.

Naifanchi moves in another straight line, but in a side to side -- pattern, and the body remains facing forward the entire time. All in all, a fun conglomeration of movement patterns to do in one forms workout.

10/22/2012

Treadmill: walk/jog for 1.3 miles, 20 min. Had some pain in my chest that really kept me from running more. It subsided after a while, and did more running toward the end.

Bike: 1 mile cool down, just over 5 minutes.

Stretch.

Forms

Dan Gun x5

Songham 2 x5

Ge Baek x5

Bag work: 2 rounds of only kicks. Roughly 1 minute per round.

Stretch

Movement pattern for Dan Gun is pretty much an I pattern, with forward facing stances when moving forward on the l part of the pattern, and on the tops and bottoms of the I, more half facing in back stances, and then forward facing in the front stances. The forms starts and stops at the top of the I. Anslow calls Dan Gun the "throat striking pattern," with the punch and the knife hand strikes in the form in the neck area. I personally think its a bit tough to punch someone in the throat, unless you can get that chin to move up through some other application... Dan Gun differs from Chon Ji in the target area of the strikes; all are head level, whereas the strikes in Chon Ji are to the body (at least in my style of TKD).

Movement pattern for Songham 2 is basically a rectangle sitting on its short side. You start in the middle of the long side, move up to the top, then to the left along the short side, back down the entire length of the other long side, where the form starts to repeat at the middle of this side, on down to the other short side, and to the right, then back up on the bottom of the left long side, and finishing at the start point. Oddly enough, or perhaps coincidentally enough, ATA's 2nd colored belt form also gears strikes to the head. In Songham 1, there are only two head strikes, lunge punches to the head. Songham 2 also moves off the one straight line to bring turns and direction changes into the form. And if I remember right, its the only colored belt form in the ATA that begins with a step back.

The movement patter for Ge Baek, as shown in General Choi's Encyclopedia, is a straight line l with an x in the middle. I can see this, to a point, but I really feel this form, at least the way we do it, runs on a couple of parallel lines, going up and down the line, and you get into the parallels when stepping from front stances to back stances and then over to front stances. Also, Choi shows a flying side kick in this form, but we do a hopping side kick instead. This form also begins with a step back and block, like Songham 2 does.

10/23/2012

Treadmill: 20 min walk/jog, covering 1.3 miles.

Bike: 1 mile cool down, 5:09.

Stretch

Bag Work on BOB: 3 rounds, 1:30 and 1:30 rest between, kicking only. When I got tired and felt I couldn't do more, I just kept burying body round kicks into BOB.

Stretch

Forms

Bo Chuung x5

Songham 3 x5

Bo Chuung is unique to the TTA, and I've been told it literally means "extra form." It follows basically the same I line of Dan Gun, and has the 3/4 turns in it as well. The strikes are to the mid section, and this is the first form in the TTA curriculum that has kicks; 2 front snap kicks. The back leg front snap kicks are each followed by a punch, from the same arm as the leg that kicks. Many of the forms later on contain double punches after a kick, and the first punch is usually with the same leg side, and this helps to ingrain that idea, as it can be a bit awkward. This form also is used to teach students to get their hips into techniques by "twisting" the hips for each strike.

Songham 3 is the 3rd ATA form, and follows the opposite rectangle of Songham 2, starting in the middle of the right long side, moving up to the top, turning and going right along the short top side, then back down, over, and back up to the beginning. This form starts with a strike as opposed to a block, showing that at times, the best defense can be a good offense, and a preemptive strike can be necessary in self-defense. This form also adds jump kicks; jumping front kicks, #3 jumping front kicks in the ATA vernacular.