• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8/10/12- AM- learned Sen Sha Do Yondan

PM- did shoulder workout, then class

Worked on Kumite techniques, then free sparring. Had an excellent session and made me even more excited about my training! I defeated a Sr. Black Belt twice and sparred with a 7th Kyu. This was by far my best sparring session.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

8/13

Drilled defending the choke from partner on back, followed by escape. Moved on to submission via armbar while partner is on back and then chained it to escape.

20 min free roll

30 min no gi with the fighers in prep for fights this weekend.

8/8 - Hour and a half class - 20 minutes of 30 second squats (15 seconds down, 15 seconds up) - Forms: specifically relearning the froms with Master Paquette's Nuances. Pinan 1, 2, 4, Kata 1.

8/9 - 5km jog, pushups, situps, crunches.

8/11 - 8 - 10 - plum tree blocking with dynamic tension. Kata 1, 5, 6, Pinan 1, 2, 4 with new changes dynamic tension, then full force regular.

8/12 - 3 hour class - More form modification/relearning - Pinan 3, Kata 6, Stature of the Crane. Block training with focus on using back muscles, not arms. Combination and Kempo training. Review of new black belt materials - Monkey, Drunken and Tiger kempos.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

8/13/12- PM class- Bassai Dai kata then bunkai from the kata.

Then free sparring- worked against Senior black belt, and actually scored more, but didn't win! Had a great trap and backfist as well as some awesome shifting front kicks that landed well, but got caught too many times being lazy with my blocks. Then worked against aggressive purple belt that throws crazy attacks. I was at half speed and let her go full. I landed a kick to the face (with control- didn't follow thru!) and was able to block almost everything, but got caught again being lazy with blocks! Altogether a good session. Made me realize that if I were to go all out, I would be able to defeat them very handily.

It also made me realize how much of what I know can't be used in sparring. I couldn't use any strong sweeps (I do use sweeps to draw attention to the leg to set up punches). I can't use hard leg kicks or grabs and throws. And I can't sacrifice a punch to my body for a strike to the opponent's face. These sessions are making me realize how much of an arsenal I have and how little I can use in class!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.