• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

2/14

Defensive posture drills focusing on hand position

Triangle drills focusing on hip elevation and proper exectution

20 min freeroll which resulted in me tweeking my knee messing around with stupid de la riva guard. :kaioken:

Bummer about the knee GS. I don't know how it went down but one thing to be VERY careful of with the De La Riva is the angle at which you are to your partner. When you're working it, you should cut the angle to the outside. So, once set up, you should be looking more at the side aspect of the knee than the front of the knee. I've found this to be way more friendly to the my own knees. Especially since mine are not as young as they once were.

You now its funny, the more i grapple the more i find it necessary to quite trying all this fancy stuff and try to sure up fundamental positions and postures. Certain guards tend to require more dexterity than i have at the current time and end up causing mild to severe discomfort.

Working on fundamentals, what a concept. :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, fundamental movements are always best. Not saying anything against the DLR or any other tactic, I work it quite a bit. However, the core of the game will always be the basic, fundamental positions.

The beauty of this is that the better your base gets in these, the better you'll defend those crazy positions and attacks that others bring against you. Granted, you'll get caught every now and then simply because you've never seen a human body do that but your fundamentals will be sound enough that generally it won't matter much.

2/16

Drilled ankle pick takedown and single version of same. Moved into rounds of half spider. Rolled into sweep that allowed for leg attacks, but stayed away to focus on the movement.

60 min free roll. Fixed problem I've been having with passing the guard tonight.

2/17

am:

light jog

skill drills on the swiss ball

abs

legs

pm:

60 min free roll

Worked on shoulder locking series.

2/18

5 minute warm up - bicycle.

Started with deep front squats (40kgx10, 45x10,45x10 and 50x10)

Wide Box squats sitting back (40kgx8 ,55kg x 8 x 2)

Alternating lunges (20x10, 25x6,30x4,25x6,20x8)

Claves single leg eccentric (84kgx6x3)

2/19

BJJ class - trying out BJJ chess (to minimaze stress on my shoulder).

Back home after three weeks in Thailand.

Managed to get in a few good Muai Thai training sessions, as well as seeing some extremely good fights!!! :) Did a LOT of hiking, kyaking and walking, and managed to get a little kata and kihon training in earlyu morning on the beach.

Back into Kyokushin Training on Wed...

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."