• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Just out of curiosity, how was the movements different for the out-of-towner (so to speak)? Did he have some thoughts as to why? I guess it might have been a slightly different lineage of Aikido, but I'm curious as to what the difference was.

today-

BJJ nite:

Drilled passing the open guard. Worked a crush pass followed by and elevated pass. Went back to the crush to take side and work a cross-body armbar. Then, we went back to the elevated pass and used it to jump sides directly to knee-in-belly and use the armbar from there. Great technical night.

40 min free roll.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The connection exercises were just different; hadn't done them at all before. They were ok. If anything, they helped me with movement ideas.

He seemed to be a bit more stiff, I guess, with his movements. I kind of view the movements of our dojo with relaxed tension, where he seemed to move more stiffly. I liked some of his movements, as he tended to drive from the hips and extend well. Our movements are that way, as well, but he used more what I would call a "gathering" motion from the hips with hands, and then out, bringing the hips in with it. A new way of looking at it, I guess. Clicked with me.

today-

3 mile run

chest/tris/forearms

ab work

1.5 miles up hill on the treadmill

10 min cool down on Boomer. Crushing guard pass and elevated pass to knee in.

today-

6, 2 min rounds of mitt work. Started warming up with moving and jab/double jab. Added cross, lead upper cut, cross. Finished striking with low lead hook mid level shin kick.

From there, we spent 2, 2 min rounds drilling the MT round for power in the bag and another 2 min round working on the quad for technique and precision as well as a touch of conditioning.

Moved to sparring. 3 min rounds of:

Round 1- kicks only

Round 2- kicks/punches

Round 3- kicks/punches/takedowns

Round 4- clinch sparring

Round 5- mma sparring

Finished with 20 min roll, where I worked on the passing stuff from the last couple of nights live again.

today-

BJJ nite:

Drilled side control specifics. Then, worked it round robin, top man controls while bottom trys to escape.

Then free roll for 45 min. Specifically worked on being active out of an open guard.

11-1-09

Went out running today. My boy was riding his bike, and I ran along side him. Not fast or far, but for a while, and broke a sweat. For me, its a start.

today-

BJJ nite:

Worked transition from full guard to half butterfly position. Drilled sweep from there followed by an arm drag to taking back.

40 min free roll.