• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

6/25

at the dojo: advanced adult class -- helped other students work their techniques lefty, worked on improvising my own no mind techniques based on concepts and frameworks from set techniques and being able to pinpoint which techniques' concept(s) I was implementing

6/26

1 hr weight training, upper body

core workout:

-30 sit-ups

-40 bicycle sit-ups

-2x 20 leg lifts

-2x 20 butterfly sit-ups

at the dojo: open adult sparring class -- 10 minute warm up, a half hour of sparring...I found myself in position to triangle choke one opponent and was lost as to how to complete it. My sensei's words were "You had 80% of the choke within 15 seconds of going to the ground and you never got it!" So many times this happens to me: I get to the ground and work to get myself to a position where I know I have an advantage, but then I don't know how to execute the techniques which allow me to capitalize...I just need more time and training on th ground and repition with my ground techniques

6/27

at the dojo: open adult class -- 20 minute warm-up, 40 minutes working in groups on technique...worked with two students preparing themselves to possibly test for black belt by the end of the summer; we worked on punch counter techniques with a focus on being as efficient as possible while moving as fast as possible with as close to zero down time as we possible...also continued my work on getting comfortable with my forms and katas lefty...finally, my sensei went over an armbar from the position I found myself in the previous night which wound up causing us to go 15 minutes over the end time of the class working on the ground.

So for doing so much in one post...I just felt like sharing a lot :karate:

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-26-09

Weights

Seated row: 115x15x3

Seated chest: 130x15x3

Lat pull-down: 102x15x3

Shoulder press: 84x15, 15, 12

Barbell curls: 55x15x3

Triceps push-downs: 80x15, 14, 15

Gripper: 25x15x5

Upper body stretch.

6-29-09

Weights

Seated row: 115x15x3

Seated chest: 130x15x3

Lat pull-down: 102x15x3

Shoulder press: 84x15, 78x15x2

Barbell curls: 55x15x3

Triceps press: 120x15, 129x15, 139x15

Gripper: 25x15x5

Decline crunches: 22x10x4

Upper body stretch.

Edited by bushido_man96

Monday, 6/29

8:15-9:30 AM Gym Training

- 10 minutes grappling sparring with brother

-Warm up

Bench 2x8

Squat 1x10

-Weight Routine

Squat 3x5, 100 lbs (practicing form)

Bench 3x5, 120 lbs

Chin up 2x8

Deadlift 1x5, 135 lbs (practicing form)

Dips 2x8

The statement below is true.

The statement above is false.

today-

BJJ workout: worked on passing open guard. Repped working over trapped leg and a couple of variations.

Drilled armbar from mount breaking the motion down and really hitting the angles.

Finished by tying the two together.

Free roll for an hour on and off. Still trying to work on things that we train in class, not my fall back movements.

am-

chest/tris/abs

Worked on guard pass series. Both open and closed, focused on repping over/under position on the legs and then both under. Escape by lifting leg and moving around.

pm-

4,2 min rounds conditioning and precision work to legs

4, 2 min rounds of MT rounds, inside and out to bag

4, 2 min rounds of putting them in combo to the shields add knee strikes

rotate with:

2 min rounds of limited engagement sparring, leg kicks only and knees

15 min of takedown work off of knee strikes- high crotch to foot sweep

15 min of moving to side mount off that attack, partner escapes side mount.

5, 3 min rounds of free roll. Starting from position.

6-30-09

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30. Pretty much a regular class tonight, no sparring, which is probably a good thing, since I'm still nursing the sore groin. But, I was able to do more tonight than I did last week. I did round kicks and side kicks on both legs, but not too high or fast on the side kicks. I did work on Do-Kangs 1 and 2 with one of the 1st dans that will get to test soon, and I had him work on really using his hips with the movements. These two sets are all upper body strikes, so these are great for hip work.

TKD orientation: 7:30 - 8:00. We had 4 total here, and we split off into groups of 2, because my 2 were fresh. We did some stance work, walking in stances, and worked a few strikes.

Saturday - Three hour pre-testing class for black belt candidates

We spent most of the time going over our forms, and I asked LOTS of detail questons. We also went over the "new" or as my instructors like to say "evolved" versions of some of our knife self defense. They were "evolved" to make them simpler by being more similar to other self defense movements we use, as well as being more practical.

Another "evolution" was that instead of throwing down the knife rather than handing it to the other person (apparently someone once handed a knife back to an attacker, because they were used to doing that in their self defense practice, so it was changed to throw it down when passing it). Anyways it was "evolved" yet again on saturday, from throwing it down (that might cause a similar issue) to standing there in a fighting stance 6 feet from the person and staring them down for 5 seconds. Of course that always caused me to start to giggle, then my partner would grin. I don't think that would go over to well at the actual test.

We also threw our vote in over minor areas of form differences between the three schools that attended the class. Now it's up to Shihan (head of utah) to notify the Kwanjangnims (heads of schools) of the new "official" way of doing things.

All in all a great learning session, I've got pages of notes! :P

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

7-1-09

Combat Hapkido: 8:00 - 9:00. Worked on more trapping drills today. While we were warming up, we were moving from one trapping drill into another, and we stayed really smooth. The pracitice is paying off.