core workout:

50 sit-ups

30 crossover sit-ups each side

30 butterfly sit-ups

30 leg lifts

10 toe touches

10 v-ups

20 hanging leg lifts

at the dojo: had a half an hr before I had to start teaching classes...went through advanced pre-black belt forms lefty

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

am-

back/bis

3, 3 min rounds on BOB. Hands, hands/elbows/knees in combo, above w/kicks.

pm-

BJJ

Worked guard passes and butterfly guard pass. Drilled live guard escapes for 6, 2 min rounds. Finished with free roll from position. I'm really focusing on utilizing more relaxed flow and the movements we work specifically in class rather than falling back on what I'm used to.

6-19-09

MA Workout

Combat Hapkido: 8:00 - 9:00. Worked on 2nd half of red belt material. Also worked some trapping drills.

Weights

Bench press: 235x5, 6 fail

Row: 200x6, 7 fail

Military press: 125x4, 5 fail

Lat pull-down: 180x6, 7 fail

Machine curls: 60x4, 5 fail

Triceps push-down: 180x5, 6 fail

Cable trunk twists: 90x10, 10

Decline abs: 22x20, 10

6-22-09

Push-ups: 25, 30, 25, 25 = 105

6-23-09

Combat Hapkido: 1:00 - 2:00. Did 30 minutes of trapping work, then worked on the first half of the red belt material.

Push-ups: 3x25, during Hapkido session.

Afternoon: Did some footwork drills in a parking lot, using the intersecting lines to do angle movement, and using the straight lines to move forward and back in back stance. I tried to focus on moving on the balls of my feet, and not going back on my heels.

6/24

at the dojo:

2 hr. open class -- the last Wednesday of the month we have a special 2 hr open adult class (usually class is 1 hr) where the first hr is dedicated to a heinous workout

---worked on weapon destruction entries off of an opponent's hook punch, interrupting second and third punches, and using the destruction blocks off an opponent's right-left combo to set up our own right hook, which became an entry to a typical fluid, painful Kempo technique

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

today-

BJJ night. Worked on basing in prep to and passing the open guard. Finished string with arm bar. Spent some time breaking it down. Good night, as I had not been exposed to the particular pass we made use of.

Several rounds of free roll to finish off.

6-24-09

Weights I changed my workout up now, working on more muscle endurance. I did each of these as a circuit, moving from one exercise to the next. I really got good bicep work out of this, too. No leg exercises because I am still nursing the groin injury.

Seated row: 115x15x3

Seated chest: 130x15x3

Lat pull-down: 102x15, 15, 96x15

Shoulder press: 84x15, 12, 78x12

Gripper: 25x15x3

Barbell curls: 50x15x3 (does anyone know the weight of a standard Olympic barbell?)

Triceps push-down: 80x15x3

MA workout

Combat Hapkido: 8:50 - 9:00. We didn't work very long, because we were both pretty tired after the night shift. We did run through the 2nd half of the red belt material, since we were there anyways.

6-25-09

Morning

Combat Hapkido: 8:40 - 9:20. We did all trapping drills today. While doing these we explored how the movements with the traps gets us to the flank of our opponent. We explored shots to the ears, back of the head behind the ear, to the ribs, etc. I see lots of possibilities to work with there.

Evening

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. I had to take it pretty easy tonight because of the groin, and so I changed a few things up during basics. Just getting back in and moving was good, though. After doing one-steps, we got to work a few of the techniques on the kicking shields, working on various elbow strikes. It was good work, too, because we don't make conctact with the techniques during the one-steps. It was good to get that feedback.

today-

6, 2 min rounds of rotating thru mitts and ground n pound bag. Used the torso guard with the mits and focused on cutting angles off the cross. SO: jab, cross, slip cross and counter to body. Add power lead. Then, add hook covers at front end and sprawl defense to mitt holder takedown effort. Finish with knees.

Rounds on bag included work on knee in and mount position.

15 min drilling choke from the last position of the mitt drill and a few variations.

20 min working guard escapes.

5, 3 min rounds free roll

1, 3 min round of free roll with strikes.