bushido_man96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I know I said that I'd take a week off, but i got the chance to roll with they guys who taught me ground work so I couldn't pass it up.

10-15 min of light roll to warm up.

3, 4 min rounds w/no gi

Spent 10 min drilling with the gi on as a refresher. I don't spend that much time in one any more, I'm thinking that I will now for a time. I've lost some of those skills.

3, 3 min rounds in the gi

2, 3 min rounds back to no gi

Got controlled alot, worked alot of little things I've be missing or weak on. Great time.

Tallgeese, at the NAGA, did you wear a gi, on no?

6-4-09

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30. I slowed down the kicks in basics today, and paid attention to technique and detail. Hand techniques, I have been trying to work on speed with. We also got to do some sparring stations with pads, clappers, targets, etc., and it was a nice drill. One we did was a blocking a blocker while seeing a target to hit. I never did like that kind of drill, but it was ok, too. We finished class with forms, one-steps, and then some combination/light no pad sparring.

Did no-gi.

If I get some more time to practice with one I might do both next time, even though I'll be way outclassed for a time with a gi on. I haven't even been in a karate gi for any training (testing boards only) for years.

today-

I know, it's still part of my "off week" but...

Went up to visit the bjj school of the guy who took first in my division in the naga. I had gotten the invite after the tourney. The day worked and I couldn't pass it up.

Free rolled for about 1-1.5 hours. 5 min rounds.

Spent specific time going over a mount variation I hadn't used before and submission series off it as well in there. Took real detailed notes on the way he and his people rode with knee in, very effective.

I'd like to make regular visits up there, but it's a good 1.5 hour drive. We'll see how that goes over.

That's cool that you got the opportunity to go train with that fellow, and that he extended the invitation in the first place. Very nice.

In speaking of the gi/no-gi grappling, I have read that grappling with the gi tends to slow things down, and ups the technical aspect of the game quite a bit. Does fit with what you know from grappling? Would you recommend grappling with a gi before going to no-gi?

6-6-09

Knuckle push-ups: 3x10 I held the fists horizontal this time, and got an interesting sensation in my right shoulder. I'm not sure if I was sore from lifting or what, but I may give it another go later in the week.

6-8-09

Weights

Bench press: 235x5, 6 fail

Row: 200x7, 8 fail

Military press: 125x6, 7 fail

Lat pull-down: 170x7, 8 fail

Leg extensions: 175x10

Leg curls: 205x12

Machine curls: 60x7, 8 fail

Triceps push-down: 180x6, 7 fail

Cable trunk twists: 80x10, 10

Decline crunches: 22lbs x 12, 10

Knee lifts: 12, 10

Cardio

Bike: 5 min at 90 rpm, 5 @ 100 rpm x2 for 20 minutes. Stretch

bushido man, yes, there is a distinct difference between with a gi and without. I've done way more no gi and I can tell you that it's way easier to slip out of things, scramble quickly, ect without. Conversely, it's easier to control and move an opponent with the gi on. There is still a highly technical aspect to no gi. In fact, your submissions have to be very tight and well executed to have a chance of better success when things get sweaty. No gi to compensate. That being said, there are many more technical considerations when dealing with a gi.

As to which to do first or more of, I'd say whichever is going to fill your needs better. That being said, having done mainly no gi, I wish I had spent more time in the gi before now. I think that it would have helped my understanding of body mechanics and the generalities of the game.

Ideally, working both would be best.

today-

3 mile run

chest/tris/abs

4, 3 min rounds

alternating between standup on BOB and mobility drills on the ground.

It's nice to be hitting something again.

6-8-09 Evening session

100 Push-ups

Week 4, Day 1 (3rd column): 21, 25, 21, 21, 32 = 120

Seeing as I have been having trouble getting week 5 down, I decided to back up to week 4, and do the high end column, which I can tell is still going to be tough. Getting back on the horse here made my arms feel nice and tight, and I like that feeling. Just that getting there kind of sucks. At any rate, I am trying something different to see if I can make some gains.

6-9-09

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:30. Arms sore from the push-ups the night before, and I regretted in during the upper body portion of basics. Even more sore after class. Tomorrow afternoon should feel real nice. :D

Basics drug on a bit tonight, and we didn't spar any. This will probably be the only scheduled class I get this week, as well.