• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Class with my sons tonight. Concentration on Pyung Ahn Cho Dan again, with the boys slowly improving in knife hand blocks, and grappling done as well. (With grappling, after they push back at me, the "stranger," and yell No! and Stop!, they work on the takedown, jump on me, and squash me as best they can. Beaten up by two seven-year-olds!)

:)

Invitation to observe a special JiuJitsu class on Saturday right at my dojang. During the week, some days (after karate) are for Judo, the others for JiuJitsu. The JJ classes on Saturdays lean more towards "street-fighting" techniques, so my instructor thought I'd be interested--and she's right.

:karate:

Sounds like a good time, both ways.

Out of curiosity, what was the name of your organization again, Joe? I have a book on Tang Soo Do, and in reviewing it, I see the same names fo the Pyong Ahn forms that you do. Just wondered if they were connected.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

crossfit:

each 4 min round consist of 20 seconds on, 10 sec rest and move immediately to the next round. Do as many reps of each exercise in each 20 sec. interval-

round 1- pull ups

2- push ups

3- set ups

4 squats

followed by back/bis

Shoulder is so far so good. I'm increasing the weight and intesity slowly back to my pre flair up level.

Out of curiosity, what was the name of your organization again, Joe? I have a book on Tang Soo Do, and in reviewing it, I see the same names fo the Pyong Ahn forms that you do. Just wondered if they were connected.

It's Soo Bahk Do, and its web site is:

http://www.soobahkdo.org

At one time, Grandmaster Hwang Kee called it Tang Soo Do, but then in pressing for a more "Korean-rooted" origin, he renamed it Soo Bahk Do. Not all the organization went along, so it's no surprise to see both Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do with similar hyungs, particularly the Pyung Ahn series, which the Soo Bahk Do organization refers to as being from "Mr. Idos," but other organizations say refers to "Master Itosu."

Interestingly, Grandmaster Son has a Pyung Ahn series, based on his own interpretation of Itosu, although in his 1968 book, "Korean Karate," he doesn't refer to him.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Home

Leg stretches

Class

required one-step sparring techniques; sparring combos; free sparring; hyungs

During free sparring:

I was first paired up with a fellow adult who is all kicks (they're strong ones if you hold the kick shield), but no punches, and doesn't protect his face. I know he had a bad facial injury in the past during a tournament, and decided this time not to throw as many punches to his face as usual; too easy a target. Concentrated on kicking, even though it's his game, just to see what I could do.

Second adult paired up with does just some kicks, roundhouses in particular, but favors punches. Strong fellow. My blocks against his punches "pounded" them down with my forearms, but I have to concentrate more on redirecting.

I did much more movement against the first opponent than against the second; have to work on that.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

It's Soo Bahk Do, and its web site is:

http://www.soobahkdo.org

At one time, Grandmaster Hwang Kee called it Tang Soo Do, but then in pressing for a more "Korean-rooted" origin, he renamed it Soo Bahk Do. Not all the organization went along, so it's no surprise to see both Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do with similar hyungs, particularly the Pyung Ahn series, which the Soo Bahk Do organization refers to as being from "Mr. Idos," but other organizations say refers to "Master Itosu."

Interestingly, Grandmaster Son has a Pyung Ahn series, based on his own interpretation of Itosu, although in his 1968 book, "Korean Karate," he doesn't refer to him.

The book I have is written by GM Chun Sik Kim, who is the President of the International Tang Soo Do Federation. Does he have a link to your organization in some way, past or present?

12-4-08

Aikitaisos

Tenkan: 10 each side

Irimi: 10 each side

Shomen: 10 each side

Push-ups: 3x15

Floor side kicks: 2x10 each side

Doggie side kicks: 10 each side

short run

crossfit:

21-15-9 reps of

95 lbs. thruster

pull ups

3, 3 min rounds of weapons work

knife

single stick, focus on striking and moving to joint position with the stick

double stick, basic patterns and strike work

The book I have is written by GM Chun Sik Kim, who is the President of the International Tang Soo Do Federation. Does he have a link to your organization in some way, past or present?

His bio online at Tang Soo Do World can be found here, Brian, with a quote regarding GM Hwang Kee, founder of Soo Bahk Do:

He came to the U.S. in 1972 at Grandmaster Hwang Kee's request and spent two years teaching in New Jersey. In 1974 he moved to Pittsburgh. In 1975 he became a charter member of the U.S. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation and in 1982 was elected Chairman.

Actually, GM Hwang Kee was calling his art Tang Soo Do originally, and the US organization, with headquarters in Springfield NJ, was called the US Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation, but the Grandmaster wanted the name change to be more "Korean history oriented," and the name became the US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation, with the subtitle, "also known as the US Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation."

Unfortunately, arguments, politics, and lawsuits (note that GM Chun Sik Kim's International Tang Soo Do Federation can't use "Moo Duk Kwan" in its name) have given the Korean arts a bit of a stormy past.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Class

My instructor's teacher taught tonight.

Different sparring combinations, individually and with a partner; sparring sessions, one segment of which was only kicking; hyungs of the individual student's choice

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

today

crossfit (modified)

100 squats

6 pull ups

6 dips

80 squats

8 pullups

8 dips

60 squats

18 pullups

18 dips

40 squats

24 pull ups

24 dips

20 squats

30 pull ups (had to go assisted with some here)

30 dips

1/2 mile on the treadmill, max elevation.

Leg stretches

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

One-step sparring; self-defense techniques

Xmas Party :up: combining my instructor's school with her teacher's school, held at the latter's site. I was there with my sons! :) A number of kids put on demos, being hyungs, all sorts of anti-bully, anti-stranger techniques, and a team staff ("bong" in Korean) demo (by red belts, the step before dan membership). Good food afterwards. :nod:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu