• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

The brachial strike that I utilize is the one on the outside of the neck. . . . I strike it with palms, foreartms primarily. . . . [it has] the effect of shutting the upper arm down, but I usually throw it with the intent of ko-ing someone . . . BOB really excells at this type of training. (emphasis added)

I like the brachial stun, too. I actually had that done to me once, as a dummy for an instructor of mine. He was doing a demo for a criminal justice class he was taking, and he was demonstrating PPCT stuff. He whacked me, and I almost went to sleep.

I've done forearm strikes against the side of BOB's neck, using the inner part of the forearm, like a baseball bat. I examined the illustration of the nerve in the Wikipedia. Am I hitting/shocking it, or do I have to strike more "forward," like at a diagonal between the throat and the side of the neck?

BOB is going to love this.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joe, you can go either route with the strike. just make sure you aren't sending the arm too wide.

I have MAJOR problems with PPCT. And I'm certed to teach it. But I like this strike. I also think that it's weapon retention is very good.

Today-

1 mile run

3, 4 min rounds on heavy bag

2, 10 min mega rounds of free roll. non stop

Thanks for the info, Tallgeese.

Home

Leg stretches

One-step sparring; self-defense techniques

Class

Concentrated on self-defense techniques, including newly introduced ones.

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I have MAJOR problems with PPCT. And I'm certed to teach it.

I have never taught it, and have only experienced it a few times. I really enjoy the stuff that we do from Hock's system when we get to it. I don't remember much about PPCT, but I do remember this technique, the dead-leg round kick to the common peroneal, and the front pushing kick to the bladder, along with the way that the hands were held out in front. Could you give me more specifics on what you don't like about it?

11-20-08

TKD testing: 6:30 - 7:30. No workout or demo today. Led the floor for the testing.

I'll be happy to, unfortunately, I don't have a ton of time so I'll get back to you on that.

Yeasterday

One mile run

4, 4 min rounds on the heavy bag. combos, combos to infight, with kicks, to takedown tie ups

legs

Home

Leg stretches

One-step sparring; self-defense techniques

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Class

Block-Strike combos called out by instructor; kicking practice; intro to jump side kick; new joint-lock self-defense technique

The jump side kick will be a challenge, but my teacher had me doing a basic intro move, not go right into the jump kick itself. When I tried to modify, she asked me to continue trying with the intro, as it didn't hurt my knees. I did.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Sorry this took a while to get back on bushido man. As for my compliaints about PPCT some have to do with the striking portion. It's pretty light on the time spent doing this. I think part of this is the adversion in the LE admin offices to actually considering that an officer might have to hit someone in the head. On the flip side of this, very few defensive options are considered or practiced under the program. Certainly, no live drilling agaisnt and armored baddie is emphasised.

Next on the technique side of things, we have the handcuffing section.I personally despise it and don't know of a single officer on our dept that actaully does it in the prescribed manner. It's all hands off until the first cuff is on. I prefer having a hand on the moron before I start mess with trying ot cuff him.

The acutal hands on control with the joints is ok. Not great, not bad. Certainly I've seen better schemes that worked more intutively for people without loads of trainng time.

There is no consideration in the basic porgram given to ground defenses or being thrown to the ground, despite the fact that about every time you hear about a cop getting killed in a DT setting it's after an offender takcles him and takes his gun.

Additionally, the overview couse offers no solutions to removing violaters from vehicles or edged weapons assults. Stuff that's kind of important.

On the up side, the weapon retention/disarming is very good.

My biggest problem is the lack of live training utilized under teh actual program. It's a largely hypothetical class with no time really spent drilling against an even simulated live attacker. For all the time the text talks about mindset, no time is spent trying to cultivate it on the mat.

That's my critique in a nut shell. I think that there are way better products out there.

Today-

crossfit

20 min, continous running clock of:

1/4 mile run

max. pull ups

3,3 min rounds of knife work in the air

Woke up at nine this morning, went to the school. A few of us showed up for some sparring and grappling. I noticed a better offensive game on my part, which is a major improvement in my ground work. Sparring was okay, didn't hit form or anything.

Got a small black eye from grappling, I must have had it hit from an elbow or knee. :karate: