4 min round of push ups

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class tonight with my boys. Was assigned a teenager to work with individually to get her more focused for a standard beginning of class, as although she'll stay with special needs, she'll be worked into the adult class, too.

Phoned my boys' school today to speak with a Special Needs Services person. Got the okay to send her info about my teacher's special needs classes in case more special needs children's parents are looking for a sport to introduce their children to. Might need a Board of Ed okay for her to suggest to parents.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

tonight-

modified crossfit:

100 squats

10 pull ups

10 dips

75 squats

20 pull ups

20 dips

50 squats

30 pull ups

30 dips

25 squats

40 pull ups

40 dips

1 mile run

good hard ab routine

Home

Leg stretches

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Class

Grappling; outmaneuvering/redirecting strikes; wearing a vest to practice blocking punches and responding with strikes to body (light contact!); concentration on Chil Sung E Ro Hyung for orange belts

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

11-12-08

Push-ups: 20x2, 15x2 on knuckles

11-13-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Class was good tonight, as far as the workout went. I must have put a bit more into the hand techniques, because my arms are tired tonight.

There was an incident that went down in class tonight that I didn't like, though. I was doing some one-steps with an orange belt, and in one of the one-steps, there is a takedown where we step behind and block a leg, which could turn into a reap, but we don't do it that way early on. Anyhow, this orange belt is quite taller than me, and when I went to do the sweep, as I pushed him down, it appeared that he just stepped over my leg to avoid the takedown. So, we did it again, and I changed it to more of a quick step and reap.

Well, then it all went south. The instructor had me do it again, which I did, because he didn't like the way I stepped. I told him that the other guy was taller, and I felt like the technique wasn't working. Then the instructor looked at both of us doing the technique, and it kind of snowballed from there. The orange belt is also a student at the Aikido class I go to, although I hadn't seen him at the Aikido class for a few weeks. He isn't much more than a white belt, either, I don't believe. At any rate, the way he was falling was different. We breakfall out of the sweep; he was kind of rolling out of it. Well, then the instructor made a big deal out of his falling, and then made some comments that he was afraid to fall. He said he wasn't, that he learned to fall differently, and that we had not addressed falling in the TKD class (which he was probably right). Anyways, the instructor moved on, and so did we.

I let the student know that it was not my intention for that to happen tonight. He said he understood, and that it was good, so he could learn what he was supposed to do from it.

At any rate, I felt that it could have been approached better, and handled a lot better, by the instructor.

I let the student know that it was not my intention for that to happen tonight. He said he understood, and that it was good, so he could learn what he was supposed to do from it.

At any rate, I felt that it could have been approached better, and handled a lot better, by the instructor.

You really did the right thing talking with the other student, Brian. Just by starting this conversation, it gave you the opportunity to keep things fine between you. You'll likely be working together at another point, with no friction as baggage.

I'm going to assume that both you and the other student addressed the instructor respectfully, so that leaves me concluding that the instructor was overreacting to things not going according to plan. If he doesn't usually act like this, then maybe he had a bad day and it (inappropriately) came out in class. If he's usually like this, then you've got a grouchy one on your hands. (I'd have said "grumpy," but there's already a Grumpy as one of the seven dwarfs. :) )

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Not a lot of my own training today. We went over to the NAGA in chicago with a fighter from my class and a group from the school I help with on and off in Rockford.

I did get three warm up rounds on the warm up mat. Just gettting the guys (and gal) loose. That was about it on the physical end.

Cornered another three bouts for our people. We had a good showing. Placed a couple, won a few more individual bouts. Pretty good day all and all.